TNs: Good Italians from 1996 and an old Margaux

Ramon_NYC

TNs: Good Italians from 1996 and an old Margaux

Post by Ramon_NYC »

1996 F Rinaldi Barolo Brunate, Piedmont
While some found it to be drinking nicely, complementary of our veal marsala, I thought that this was still very young and with slight harshness that was quite evident. Not lacking in fruit, but this old-style Barolo showed enough good structure that needs more years in the cellar to smooth out the rough edges. B+

1996 Oddero Barolo Rocche dei Rivera di Castiglione, Piedmont
This was a very pleasant revelation. Ren brought this bottle to accompany the ‘96 Rinaldi for our dinner. Complex in the palate, with a very appealing nose of flowers, mushrooms, and fresh meat, Although still young, this wine glided effortlessly in the mouth, with layers of red fruit and had a lengthy lip-smacking finish. A very good traditional-style Piedmont. A-

1996 Poddere Capaccia Querciagrande, Tuscany
A small winery in Tuscany, 100% Sangiovese. The last of the 3 bottles that I snagged at auction at give-away prices. A lean-fruited, high acidity wine that was smooth and which married well with our Italian dishes at home. The bottle’s at peak or just beyond its best drinking stage, but still pleasurable. B

1966 Chateau Malescot St Exupery, Margaux
A 45 year old Bordeaux that showed off its fine fruit, silkiness and finesse without tasting tired. Other than having a top-shoulder fill, the bottle appeared to be in great shape. Fresh dark cherry red in color and an enticing tertiary bouquet with notes of confection. Will keep fingers crossed that my remaining bottle will drink as well in 2016. A-
oldwinenut

Re: TNs: Good Italians from 1996 and an old Margaux

Post by oldwinenut »

Love to hear that the Malescott '66 drank so well as I also have a bottle. I hope I get the same pleasure which you had. Thanks for the notes
JonoB

Post by JonoB »

Rinaldi seems to require some serious bottle time.

More evidence that the 06 might turn out to be a 30+ year wine!
Jonathan Beagle's Wine Blog
An explanation of my 100 point scoring system

Sake Consultant for SAKE@UK the Sake Import Division of JAPAN@UK

President of the Cambridge University Wine Society 2015-2016

(ITB)
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

Ramon:

Nice notes and glad to hear an old bottle delivered.

Tim McCracken was in Dubai a few weeks ago and we did a blind wine dinner, where he asked me "DO YOU LIKE THEM YOUNG OR OLD"? Which of course brought a roar of laughter throughout the table. but my answer was "when an old wine deliveres all the great things people talk about old wines for, then I always choose old". The problem is you have so many toads among them due to bottle variation, provenance, etc.

Michael-P
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Michael-P wrote:The problem is you have so many toads among them due to bottle variation, provenance, etc.
Michael,
I agree. Another major cause of disappointment, and imho which represents the majority of most folks' negative experiences on old bottles, is keeping the bottle way over appropiate drinking window.
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

oldwinenut wrote:Love to hear that the Malescott '66 drank so well as I also have a bottle. I hope I get the same pleasure which you had. Thanks for the notes
Would love to see your TN when the time comes. I too hope that you at least get the same amount of pleasure as I did with mine.
JonoB

Post by JonoB »

I always think provenance is a bigger issues with OLD bottles than drinking windows.

Wines are more robust than people give them credit for...
Jonathan Beagle's Wine Blog
An explanation of my 100 point scoring system

Sake Consultant for SAKE@UK the Sake Import Division of JAPAN@UK

President of the Cambridge University Wine Society 2015-2016

(ITB)
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Agree completely, Jono. We've been trying a lot of cellar orphans this winter, and have had some great success. Who would have guessed that a bottle of Rutherford Hill Merlot 1980 would be absolutely delicious at age 30? Probably not the Rutherford Hill folks! Bought on release, and just "lost in the pile" until a couple of months ago. Provenance has quite a lot to do with how a wine will age.