TN: 2001 Ch. Haut-Bergey, Pessac-Leognan

Ramon_NYC

TN: 2001 Ch. Haut-Bergey, Pessac-Leognan

Post by Ramon_NYC »

2001 Ch. Haut-Bergey, Pessac-Leognan

Black plum in color. A very appealing smell of wood and ripe fruit. Very high in acidity with tannin level pretty much in check. A little bit of oak, but not intrusive at this stage. Coffee. Softer than I recall it to be, and as far as my taste is concerned, this bottle is drinking at or near its optimal phase. I have a few more that I will queue up for the next couple of years. B
Houndsong

Re: TN: 2001 Ch. Haut-Bergey, Pessac-Leognan

Post by Houndsong »

I think I had this in the spring. I liked it at first but it seemed to get a little harsh with air. Maybe that's the acidity you're referring to. I think my take was to let it go a couple more years and see if it mellows.
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

I didn’t get the harshness at all with my bottle. I actually like the high acid level that I got, because without it, I think this would simply be a fruity sweet wine at this phase. I think it delivered just enough for the 22 bucks that I purchased it for, and although I don't think there will be a major epiphany experience that will ensue, I'm good with the remaining bottles that I have.
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

Just refreshing my recollection here: http://www.bordeauxwineenthusiasts.com/ ... aut+bergey. I did recall this wine correctly at least. From the note it would seem I have one or more additional bottles. Thinking I bought three.