Two fully mature first growths

Comte Flaneur

Two fully mature first growths

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Over Thanksgiving we had quite a few but these were the highlights:

On Friday:

Chateau Ausone 1982 (in half bottle): A delightful bottle with earthy, leather, mushroom, minerals and 'woodsy' notes. This is a delicate wine, which is just starting to dry out a bit on the finish and would no doubt get blown away in an 82 tasting. But I loved it. And before you could say 'Jack Robinson" it was all gone.

Last night

Chateau Mouton-Rothschild 1975. More obviously an old wine with old leather armchair and furniture polish notes. On the first sip it was distinctly dodgy...a bit soupy and thin on the palate. But over the course of the evening it began to pull itself together, and was a delightful match to rack of lamb. The wine got better and better with dark fruits, dark and white chocolate, Christmas cake, licorice and a faint whiff of tobacco. A delightful and elegant old dowager.

It was a great thrill to drink these old fashioned wines. Many more modern vintages will easily surpass these wines, but they will mostly be drunk too young. I would prefer to drink these fully mature wines than immature wines with much greater potential.
AlexR

Re: Two fully mature first growths

Post by AlexR »

Ian,

There is something special about these great old wines enjoyed "non-competitively", just for what they are, with their lack of freshness offset by their subtlety, their whiff of nostalgia.

All the best,
Alex
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Nice to here the 75 Mouton has some redeeming features finally. Had this wine three times before with the last about 4-5 years back. Each time the wine was dominated by tannins and acid with little fruit providing little pleasure. A truly unenjoyable disappointment for a first growth. Three bad bottles maybe but thankfully someone is finding some enjoyment that we have missed out on.

Congrats,

Danny
Danny
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

For 1966 and 1975, it must be a bottle by bottle thing, because I'm not feeling the love most times when we open these.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

The 1973 Mouton was really something for about 15-20 minutes when we had it this past year.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Much more value in the Picasso label than the juice. Seriously, a Picasso where the print run might have been 240,000 and the vast majority have been thrown away?
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Also, the first label where Mouton was a first growth. But seriously, we were very briefly wowed by the Mouton before it gave up the ghost.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

The 1975 has the Andy Warhol label...

I bought three quite cheaply on the strength of a very strong showing in the summer of 06, where is came together magnificently. The bottle on Saturday was reminsicent of that one but not as good...it was the one with the lowest ullage (and the most tatty and stained label...)
stefan

Post by stefan »

Ian, I also love oldish wines. I think for my Medicaire birthday this Saturday I'll open one from my daughter's birth year--probably a 1978 Margaux. As for 1975 Mouton, I have found it OK but not exciting for a first growth from a reasonably good vintage.

stefan
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Happy birthday for saturday stefan...please report back on the 1978 Margaux. In the crusade to drink more mature wines (and before going on the wagon in Q1) it is Latour 1979 for me.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Thanks, Ian. Sure, I'll write about the Margaux.

>>
going on the wagon in Q1
>>

I don't know the meaning of that expression. :)

stefan
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

stefan - going on the wagon means I will be abstaining from the old demon alcohol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuLzmupBTMs

Falling off the wagon - well that's obvious what that means
stefan

Post by stefan »

Oh, yeah. I've heard of it but never tried it. Isn't it considered unpatriotic in the UK?

stefan
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

In the UK you are considered soft if you have to visit the gents before you finish your fourth pint.

On a serious note, I dont want to be on the wrong side of my second liver transplant when my 2000 great growths mature in 2025
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Another golden oldie drank with Chris at the weekend:

Chateau Latour 1979

Very good condition and high ullage. A shy and muted nose initially, dark fruits, dark chocolate notes, some Latour walnuts, leather and cassis; quite an austere personality without being thin or diluted. Very low key - it would get lost in the crowd - contemplative and satisfying. This has probably been drinking for 5-6 years and will keep going for another 15. Reminded me of Montrose 1979, but this is a bit better.

We drank this next to a Volnay Pousse D'Or Clos de 60 Ouvrees 1993, and I slightly preferred the burgundy, which was drinking nicely, was very funky - the hospital bandages made us think it might have been flawed - and had that added mysterious and dangerous element to it.