The collective on aging curves

DavidG

The collective on aging curves

Post by DavidG »

CellarTracker's Big Data is going to tell us when we think those bottles are peaking:
https://www.cellartracker.com/content.asp?iContent=83

Looks like so far it is not vintage-specific. I wonder how much of a difference that makes - in the data. I know that for me vintage makes a difference in the aging curve. Also wonder if there’s enough data to do this by vintage and still avoid the influence of random outliers. Or if they massage the data in any way - normalize it, Winterize it, etc.
JoelD

Re: The collective on aging curves

Post by JoelD »

I saw this and its pretty cool. It would be informative if they found a way to be more vintage specific. One way that might work is comparing "like wines" from that vintage. Similar growth level, appellation, and wines made by the same winemaker. That would add data and possibly allow for an even more precise result.
AKR

Post by AKR »

It's interesting data, but more useful to those without their own experience to rely on.

I get the sense that the younger enthusiasts don't have the same physical capacity to age wines, or family members who might support that with space in a basement, that a prior generation had. People live in apartments, or townhouses, or they are moving around etc.

It's so hard to deal with delicate tangibles like wine if one has a light footprint, nomadic style lifestyle.
Harry C.

Post by Harry C. »

Years ago, Jancis Robinson published a book on typical aging curves. Admittedly, it was for the bigger named wines. But at the time, there was precious little info available like this. Also, one assumes that the aging curve is for perfectly stored wine. Even CT, IIRC, does not make that clear.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I absolutely loved that 2014 Clerc Milon (yet again) the other night, it just seems open for business and has never closed down, and yet I also get the impression it is going to age well as well. It really tasted like a good old school Pauillac from the '80s, like an '88 Lynch. I'll be curious to see and experience its aging curve... if I can keep my hands off of it!
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Are aging curves good for me? I'm like a 2014 Château Lost Bages. 2nd Cru Classé since i worth a billion.

So what about you?
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Nic, I improve exponentially with age:

2621C0B7-48DA-4335-ACBC-10810FD714A6.jpeg
2621C0B7-48DA-4335-ACBC-10810FD714A6.jpeg (10.81 KiB) Viewed 249 times