TN: Felsina 2007 Chianti Classico Berardenga

Chasse-Spleen

TN: Felsina 2007 Chianti Classico Berardenga

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Felsina 2007 Chianti Classico Berardenga

Opaque dark red/purple. Rich, complex nose not immediately giving up its secrets... berries, minerals, cherries cassis, some lactic notes become clearer after time but still coming and going. Medium body, good finish and balance. Dark cherry fruit on the palate with a chocolate note. Lower acid and less tannic than the Monsanto '06 that I recently reported on, but fatter. Very young but pleasureable to drink, rich and silky with some chicken drumsticks, some blackberries. Not obviously oaky. Some sweaty, meaty notes start to develop after time and with the food. Some subtle spices. Classic Chianti and the finish starts to develop more length and complexity after several hours. Long life ahead. Felsina says that it's 100% sangiovese, although I didn't realize that was allowable within the appellation's rules.

-Chris
JCNorthway

Re: TN: Felsina 2007 Chianti Classico Berardenga

Post by JCNorthway »

Chris,

You are making my mouth water. I am partial to the Felsina style across the board - regular, riserva, rancia, and even fontalloro in some years. I missed out on getting the 2004 vintage, but I've been enjoying the 2005 regular and a bit of riserva; the rancia awaits, but that will be a few years. I have not seen the 2006 locally to even try. So I can't imagine how long until we see the 2007s here.

Jon
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Re: the rules, Chianti has allowed 100% Sangiovese since 1995, recognizing that that particular grape was the key to making good wine.
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Thanks for the info, Tom. I'm going to read that Wiki page more closely when I get a chance. Many great Chianti are still only 90% sangiovese though, such as the Monsanto CCR '06. I think the Felsina is decidedly in a more modern style. Whether that's better or not is a matter of taste. I'll have to try the Felsina CC '06. I'm sure it's great. My favorite was the '01.
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Chasse-Spleen wrote: I'll have to try the Felsina CC '06. I'm sure it's great. My favorite was the '01.
i liked the '06 Felsina CC, Here is my posted notes:

http://www.bordeauxwineenthusiasts.com/ ... 6395#p6395
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Sounds pretty similar to my note on the '07. I would have expected a little more tannin or structure in general from the '06.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

So within the past several days I have found both 06 and 07 Felsina regular Chianti Classicos. Here is my take after tasting both.

Both are really nice wines. The 2006 is more acidic and possibly more tannic, and I believe it will last longer. The 2007 is wonderful to drink now, though it certainly will evolve nicely for a few years. I think the 2007 has better overall balance, at least for now. It will be several years before the 2006 will achieve that balance, if it ever does.

I hope to obtain enough of both of these to follow them for several years and experience their evolution and development.

Jon