What are we drinking in the Omicron ominous?

JoelD

Re: What are we drinking in the Omicron ominous?

Post by JoelD »

Racer Chris wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:24 pm
JoelD wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:49 pm
Racer Chris wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:18 pm Is yours a Lange Goldkapsel?
I'll double check later but as far as I can tell, it is the exact same bottle. Purchased at auction sometime within the last year or two. Great fill as well. Was that from Karl?
I wouldn't know the difference myself, but according to Karl this is the long gold capsule or LGKa. I don't know that there is any label differentiation but there can be quite a difference between the gold cap and long gold cap wines I guess.
I see on Cellartracker there are LGKa Auction bottles listed separately as well, no idea what that means though.
The A.P. number on the label is important to the identification but isn't part of the CT database as far as I can see.
Bottle is exactly the same to the letter and numbers. Minus the importer difference. I'd be curious to hear the difference if you ask him. May just have to open this for NYE now so I can update on how good it is too.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Chris and Marjorie, my daughter, and another couple were over to celebrate Peg's birthday.

I made smoked salmon and caviar on créme fraiche and sea salt rice crackers for starters. Then Caesar salad, cedar plank salmon with soy/Sherry glaze, haricots vert with garlic butter, and roasted carrots and parsnips prepped by a favorite local restaurant so all I had to do was finish it in the oven. For dessert Mindy brought a killer homemade honeycrisp apple pie and homemade cinnamon ice cream.

We polished off the following:
2021 BinaxNow COVID rapid antigen tests - this was all about the nose…
2004 Krug - drinking beautifully, in fine shape and an excellent vintage Krug (thank you Chris)!
2010 Jamet Côte Rôtie - young but yum, a classic
2010 Janasse Vieilles Vignes Châteauneuf - big, bold, lush, ripe, food tamed it a bit
1988 Yquem - did not suck

Quite a contrast between the Jamet and Janasse. I knew there were dramatically different palate preferences at the table and these seemed to keep everyone happy.

Not bad for a Tuesday. Peggy says I can stick around another year.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

JoelD wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:34 am
Bottle is exactly the same to the letter and numbers.
Wow, what's the chance of that. There aren't many in circulation I'm sure.
I've had two other great Ausleses, in 2020 Karl brought a 1976 JJ Prum WS and a '79 Egon Muller Scharzhofberger to my shop on separate occasions.
I take the leftovers home and my wife, who hardly drinks wine and dislikes most of the young wine I drink regularly, always recognizes the really good stuff and happily helps me finish the bottle.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

• 1986 Château Rausan-Ségla - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (12/31/2021)
    Hard to believe the '86s are still getting better, but wow, this bottle was filled with pleasure. Decanted about 2 hours before dinner.
    Served beside beef tenderloin, roasted beets, roasted fennel, and mushroom wild rice. Absolutely perfect accompaniment. Earthy and contemplative on the nose. Cherries and redcurrants on the palate with light sandalwood, and a dry finish that went on and on. (96 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker

Before dinner we were drinking 2014 La Croix Ducru-Beaucaillou. Excellent now, this wine has finesse and complexity which is somewhat hidden by its youth.
jal

Post by jal »

DavidG wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:50 am 2021 BinaxNow COVID rapid antigen tests - this was all about the nose…
:D :D :D :D

Happy Birthday Peggy!!
Best

Jacques
barsacpinci

Post by barsacpinci »

Opened a 2005 La Chablisienne Les Preuses for my pork, kielbasa, and sauerkraut New Years dinner. Pretty good, but not as big or typical of Chablis from that vintage I’ve had. I’ve always liked this coop but they could have done better with a grand cru.
Brian Pinci
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

For New Years Eve dinner at home, we started with shrimp cocktail and NV Gatinois Brut. I've not had this Champagne before, and it was quite enjoyable. Nice fruit with good freshness, and a really interesting color - not pink, sort of light salmon. I will look forward to the next bottle.

With filet of beef, fennel scalloped potatoes and steamed broccoli, we had a 2003 Pontet Canet that had been decanted about 4 hours. What a lovely wine; with the decanting, it was in a really nice place with lots of fruit still remaining, and the tannins somewhat receding. I would not say it has developed any of the older Bordeaux characteristics yet, but it was a pleasure to drink.
PghMike

Post by PghMike »

Loved the 2014 VCC. First Pomerol for me. Definitely won't be the last.

Decanted for 4.5 hours and consumed over the next four. Nose of blueberry, charcoal, fresh seawater and hay. Bright red and some cool blue fruit on the palate. Cherry, sweet blueberries, plum, wet stone, minerality and some graphite. Fine tannins throughout for a very smooth mouthfeel. The finish goes on and on with beautiful fresh and mouthwatering acidity.

Continued to improve to the last sip. Bouquet continued to open. Had a little with very rich boeuf bourguignon which overpowered the wine so drank most of it after dinner.
20220102_173454.jpg
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Jon,

We also enjoyed the 03 Pontet Canet over the holidays and certainly no controversy over this bottle. Drinking beautifully now with resolved tannins and exceeded expectations. What more can you ask for. Glad you enjoyed as well. Happy New Year!
Danny
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Thanks, Danny. Same to you and Danielle.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

A delicious non-alcoholic IPA from Hairless Dog brewery (0.0% alc.). Well balanced and smooth, displaying lemon and piney notes. Terrific soil-to-mug transfer, with wonderful Cascade hops showing the importance of terroir above all.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

PghMike wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:53 pm Loved the 2014 VCC. First Pomerol for me. Definitely won't be the last.

Decanted for 4.5 hours and consumed over the next four. Nose of blueberry, charcoal, fresh seawater and hay. Bright red and some cool blue fruit on the palate. Cherry, sweet blueberries, plum, wet stone, minerality and some graphite. Fine tannins throughout for a very smooth mouthfeel. The finish goes on and on with beautiful fresh and mouthwatering acidity.

Continued to improve to the last sip. Bouquet continued to open. Had a little with very rich boeuf bourguignon which overpowered the wine so drank most of it after dinner.

20220102_173454.jpg
That is a great looking stew.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Last night, a 2016 Tenuta La Novella Chianti classico Casa di Colombo. Showing again how great is 2016 in Toscana. Serious little wine, with concentrated cherries, leather, anise, good tannins and decent lenght. Quite nice.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Nicklasss wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:21 pm Last night, a 2016 Tenuta La Novella Chianti classico Casa di Colombo. Showing again how great is 2016 in Toscana. Serious little wine, with concentrated cherries, leather, anise, good tannins and decent lenght. Quite nice.
Never heard of it. Do you ever get any food wine in Quebec? Must be rough.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Last night, a glass of the very nice, light, aerial, redberries, currants, light cinnamon scar and vegetal wood, of the 2019 Lageder Schiava. 10.5 % alcohol, but look at the marvellous color. The extreme opposite of 15.5 % alcohol red Bordeaux or CdP.

I liked it a lot.

Want it or not, i have to admit i liked the purity of the dry white and red from Trentin Haut Adige area. When i'll be out of tbe wine buying freeze, i'll buy some more.
Attachments
Italian wines wave
Italian wines wave
jal

Post by jal »

With the last of the caviar leftover from the holidays, we drank a bottle of Laurent Perrier cuvée rose. Easily the best champagne we had over the holidays and much better than the 2010 Roederer Brut Rosé that we thought was a bargain.
Best

Jacques
stefan

Post by stefan »

2000 Grand Puy Lacoste. Nothing modern about this wine. This is a classic, well balanced Pauillac that is has pencil lead, cassis, black currents, and resolved tannins that hold up to flat iron.
PghMike

Post by PghMike »

2018 Calon Segur with Coq au Vin. Very nice pairing. The Calon was excellent, outclassing most of the 2018 Napa cabernets that I've had so far. Was tempted by the CT reviews on this one, it is definitely open for business.

Decanted 4.5 hours and consumed over the next 4. Nose was wonderful of macerated black cherries, cedar, tar/asphalt and eucalyptus. Glides through the palate with massive purple and black fruit with baking spice, crushed stone, red bell pepper and some salinity. Chalky tannins with a tingling acidity on the back half. Very long finish. Didnt catch any heat from the 15 percent abv.
20220115_172111.jpg
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

How is the 2000 developing, Stefan? I have an unopened case that I'm wondering about.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Mine are in prime time, Jon. I have had them stored at 62-65 F since release, so yours might not be.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

PghMike wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:37 pm 2018 Calon Segur with Coq au Vin. Very nice pairing. The Calon was excellent, outclassing most of the 2018 Napa cabernets that I've had so far. Was tempted by the CT reviews on this one, it is definitely open for business.

Decanted 4.5 hours and consumed over the next 4. Nose was wonderful of macerated black cherries, cedar, tar/asphalt and eucalyptus. Glides through the palate with massive purple and black fruit with baking spice, crushed stone, red bell pepper and some salinity. Chalky tannins with a tingling acidity on the back half. Very long finish. Didnt catch any heat from the 15 percent abv.

20220115_172111.jpg
Looks very good Mike, the meal and the wine. My 2018 Calon Segur are coming in March.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Tonight we are drinking 2017 Domaine Berthelemot Chassagne-Montrachet Abbaye de Margot. I think I bought this at a semi-annual Twin Liquors dollar sale even though I had never heard of the Domaine. Anyway, this is a lovely Chassagne, fruity and flowery and sufficient acidity for the pan seared red snapper we are eating. It even brings out the sweetness in the fish.
stefan

Post by stefan »

2012 Sociando-Mallet Jean Gautreau with shepard's pie. Classic cassis and currents Bordeaux profile. Good fruit/tannin balance. Can still taste the wood . Lucie liked its softness, but soft is not an adjective I would use to describe this wine. Good now but better in five years.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Last night with friends:
2016 La Chablisienne La Pierrelee
2015 Ch. Prieure-Lichine
2012 Ch. Rauzan-Segla
2004 Ch. Belair
I was surprised that the 6 of us consumed nearly 4 bottles of wine. The Chablis wasn't quite finished, as everyone drank red wine at the dinner table except Mitch. He was drinking Tequila Sours and only had one glass of wine toward the end of dinner.
All the wines were thoroughly enjoyed.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Chris what was your impressions of the three Bordeaux? I have 12 Rauzan which drank well in its youth then tightened up a bit.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I opened the P-L the night before, and poured a quick glass. It was tight.
In the morning I splash decanted and gave it an hour of air before putting back in the bottle.
The R-S got similar treatment with opening/decanting/1hr air/re-bottling.
Both were very enjoyable in the evening, with the R-S showing noticeably better. Everyone who commented said they preferred the 2012.
The Belair was PnP as an emergency filler. I didn't expect this group to finish the two headliners before dinner was over. This wine opens up fairly quick. My 4th bottle from the case and all were consistent.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

I opened a 2001 Mondavi Reserve Cab last night that drank very well. I paid $55 for it back in 2010 from the old Wine Commune auction site. Man, I miss that site and got some awesome deals
AKR

Post by AKR »

stefan wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:41 am 2012 Sociando-Mallet Jean Gautreau with shepard's pie. Classic cassis and currents Bordeaux profile. Good fruit/tannin balance. Can still taste the wood . Lucie liked its softness, but soft is not an adjective I would use to describe this wine. Good now but better in five years.
OMG. where did you find a JG?!?

Better or different than than the regular?
AKR

Post by AKR »

Racer Chris wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:44 pm I opened the P-L the night before, and poured a quick glass. It was tight.
In the morning I splash decanted and gave it an hour of air before putting back in the bottle.
Both were very enjoyable in the evening, with the R-S showing noticeably better. Everyone who commented said they preferred the 2012.
The Belair was PnP as an emergency filler. I didn't expect this group to finish the two headliners before dinner was over. This wine opens up fairly quick. My 4th bottle from the case and all were consistent.
That is generous to share rare Belair's with people who are not oenophiles.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

2000 BAMA with grilled lamb loin chops and Peg's Potatoes. Classic Bordeaux at early peak/plateau, match made in heaven.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

AKR wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:04 am
Racer Chris wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:44 pm I opened the P-L the night before, and poured a quick glass. It was tight.
That is generous to share rare Belair's with people who are not oenophiles.
We've known these folks since high school/college, so they've witnessed the development of my wine obsession from the start. In fact there's a private funny story from before we were 21 that involves my wife, one of the ladies, and myself, a road trip to Cape Cod, and a couple bottles of Reunite.
I'm breaking them in to Bordeaux slowly so when I open my mag of '93 PLL with them it will be a hit. I have to get Mitch to give up Tequila Sours as his drink of choice first though.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Ha-ha, Arv. No "Cuvee Jean Gautreau" on the bottles; just "Jean Gautreau".

Last night I opened a 2003 Sociando-Mallet. Good solid fruit, but it went down the drain because of the overwhelming burned bretty nose.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Last night I opened another 2003 Sociando-Mallet to drink with meatloaf, baked potato, sautéed mushrooms, and asparagus. While one dimensional, it had a lot of sweet fruit that was particularly tasty on the sides. The finish was average- for a Bdx of this class. Most surprising was that there was no bouquet at all through the first half of the bottle even though it had a couple of hours of air. Then it developed a modest nose that was unremarkable.
jckba

Post by jckba »

2002 Leoville Barton: an absolute delight.
2002 Leoville Barton: an absolute delight.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Mmmm. 2002 Leoville Barton. In my book, that is about as good as it gets.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

My version of Dryuary:
(most recent first)
Vintage Wine
2015 Château Haura
2015 Château Fontesteau
2014 Château Lalande-Borie
2016 La Chablisienne Chablis La Pierrelée
2015 La Chapelle de Potensac
2011 Château Capbern-Gasqueton
2012 Château Pierre de Montignac
2014 Les Vieilles Pierres
2012 Château Rauzan-Ségla
2015 Château Prieuré-Lichine
2004 Château Belair
2009 Château Marsac Séguineau
2008 Château Lilian Ladouys
2012 Château D'Arvigny
2018 Château Marjosse
2016 Château Larose-Trintaudon
2018 Château Doisy-Daëne Grand Vin Sec
2014 Château Léoville Poyferré
2016 Château Peyrabon
2019 Château Guibon Blanc
2004 Château Belair
2017 Château Ormes de Pez
2016 Château D'Arvigny
2015 Sheridan Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon Crossfork Creek
2016 Château Cantemerle
2014 Château du Retout
2014 Château Lanessan
2015 Château Larose-Trintaudon
2017 Château de la Huste
1001 Billecart-Salmon Champagne Brut Réserve
jal

Post by jal »

I love the 2018 Felsina Chianti Berardenga in half bottle. Had a glass with a light dinner last night. That estate never disappointed me.
Best

Jacques
jckba

Post by jckba »

Jacques and Chris, this in store Zachys mark down is for you.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CZZn9W1hk9 ... =copy_link
jckba

Post by jckba »

If you wait, new oak does in fact integrate.
If you wait, new oak does in fact integrate.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

jckba wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:40 pm A746DE12-2BA6-47BA-9A68-E5EC7A6DD35E.jpeg
What was the vintage on the Chapoutier? I had the 98 Le Meal over the summer and it was delightful. Much better for my palate than the 98 Le Pavillon next to it.