Wine fridges

Comte Flaneur

Wine fridges

Post by Comte Flaneur »

As I am abstaining until Easter but still buying recklessly my two small wine fridges are now full, and I need a bigger one with 100+ capacity. I would be grateful for any reccos. They seem a bit pricey over here in the US. I would like to spend less than $1,000 but maybe that is a forlorn hope.
JimHow

Re: Wine fridges

Post by JimHow »

I've been abstaining as well, Comte, have not touched alcohol since Christmas Eve, other than perhaps a glass of champagne with Jill and Jacques at the opera in March, I'm planning on not consuming alcohol until Chicago '10.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

You guys have my admiration!

I rarely go more than 3 or 4 days without a glass of wine.

Tell us: do you miss it:
- a lot
- a little
- not at all...

All the best,
Alex
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

You know, Alex, in all honesty, when I go on these wine fasts, I can honestly say I don't miss it at all, it's like I've never touched the stuff. I don't find it difficult at all. I've also found that I lose weight when I do this, I've lost ten pounds this winter. And whether it's a coincidence or not, I've written over 50 pages on my novel since Christmas, probably my most productive stretch since I started it five years ago.
stefan

Post by stefan »

3 or 4 days without wine are three or four lost opportunities. You'll understand when you reach my age.

stefan the old
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

Jim, even Tiger Woods will need a tune up (you know, like with golf clubs) before he tees it up for real again. I suggest you ease into BWE '10 with a few third growths.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Yes and no Alex.

The penultimate drink I had was with you in London at the Ledbury on the 29th, the last was on New Year's Eve. I have gone for 20 days with out wine and the longest I have ever managed in the last 20 years is about four days (I could go indefinitely with out spirits - so it is not an alcohol dependency thing, just a deep love of wine).

I would list my hobbies as buying, drinking and tasting wine in that order...and because I have denied my self the latter two I have indulged a lot more in the former (hence the request for the original subject in this thread).

I am obsessing about wine more than ever but feel better for it physically - probably mentally and spiritually too - especially as December was just one long drinking session. It is not that hard not to crack open a bottle though a big test is coming up as an ex drinking buddy is arriving in town next week.
rjsussex

Post by rjsussex »

Oh dear - this thread is making me come over all guilty. I drink good red wine every day (claret, burgundy or Tuscan Sangiovese), more than I should (much more than the UK govt says I should, anyway) and have done for decades. At my age it's one of life's few remaining pleasures.

How sad is that.

Richard
stefan

Post by stefan »

>>
At my age it's one of life's few remaining pleasures.

How sad is that.
>>

Sad would be if you could not enjoy wine, Richard. Count your blessings, as I do every morning.

stefan
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Jim we are in good company

http://www.spinner.com/2010/01/25/keith ... -bottle%2F

I very much doubt I will last til Easter though