TN: Chateau Aney D'Arnaussan 2005

Chasse-Spleen

TN: Chateau Aney D'Arnaussan 2005

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Chateau Aney D'Arnaussan Haut-Medoc

Does anyone know anything about this wine? Alex?

Translucent ruby-garnet and fading at the rim a little to a pinkish color so showing maturity at this early stage of the game, but that's a good thing tonight. An interesting wine especially in the context of 2005. Open for business. Nice nose with red currants. Some milk chocolate and more red currants on the palate. Fine tannins and balanced acidity with a good finish. Light to medium bodied. Says 12.5% alch on the label. Good complexity for a $14 bottle of wine. Very flavorful. Dry and stylish. A nice surprise.

-Chasse
AlexR

Re: TN: Chateau Aney D'Arnaussan 2005

Post by AlexR »

Hi Chris,

I was thinking that this must be that 2nd wine of Château Aney, and my hunch turned out to be right:

http://www.vinup.com/vins.lasso?vin=Châ ... an&cp=1201

The estate is located in the stretch of AOC Haut Médoc between the communal appellations of Margaux and Saint-Julien.
This is often a happy hunting ground for good value wines.

Château Aney is perhaps best known for the big bottle in front of the cellar on the main road:
http://images.google.fr/imgres?imgurl=h ... r%26sa%3DN

All the best,
Alex
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Thanks, Alex. I was wondering - what is your opinion of the Margaux cru bourgeois, La Tour de Mons?

-Chris
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Hi Chris,

I've always had time for La Tour du Mons.
It belongs to that category of "unsexy" wines that are well worth seeking out.
By "unsexy", I mean that the owners aren't publicity-hungry, don't promote it, and the wine is made in a traditional rather than a flashy style.
A friend who went to visit said the cellars are pretty run down and basic.

But, I think you'll agree that all that really counts is the quality of what's in the glass!

I see that I have a 01 and a 05 in my cellar.
I will try to open the former up soon and share my notes.

All the best,
Alex
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Alex,
Glad to hear that. A place near me carries it and has the '05 and '06. The '06 is a great price ($21) and probably will be more open. I'm going to try it as soon as I have a chance I'll post my findings. I hope it turns out well because I love Margaux appellation wines and it would be nice to have a good cheap source for them. The '05 is not a lot more money, reasonable for an '05 Margaux by any means.
-Chris