Lisini Rosso di Montalcino 04 and 06

rjsussex

Lisini Rosso di Montalcino 04 and 06

Post by rjsussex »

Sangiovese fans on this board (who kindly reawakened my love for Tuscan reds!) will know more than me about this producer but my sense is that Lisini is regarded as being at the top of the Brunello tree but at more sensible prices than more celebrated names. I have 6 Brunello 04s in the cellar. (About £30.)

Meanwhile their Rosso 04 and 06 have been mightily impressing me. At about £16 in the UK they're priced at the Chianti Classico Riserva level for solid performers like Cafaggio and at just Classico level for starry names like Beradenga. As such it's a value - at claret level I'd put this Rosso at the level of Chasse Spleen 04 at the same sort of price.

Lovely serious sour-cherry fruit and really good length and finish - more complex and subtle than I expected from a 'second' wine. The 06 needs time but is already delicious. Bottle variation on the 04 is a touch worrying (one was oxidised) but I love both these wines. The Cafaggio CC Riserva 04 at same price is very good wine, also very good value, but has more oak that needs integrating and it's also not as richly structured as these Lisini Rossos.

Best

Richard
JCNorthway

Re: Lisini Rosso di Montalcino 04 and 06

Post by JCNorthway »

Richard,

Your tasting of this wine is encouraging. I had drifted away from the Montalcino Rossos the last few years because they were seeming flabby, and meanwhile, Chianti racked up several good vintages - 01, 04, 05, 06, and now 07. So I think I need to track down a couple of 2004 Rossos to try out. I would definitely grab a Lisini; I concur they are a quality producer in that area.

Jon
rjsussex

Re: Lisini Rosso di Montalcino 04 and 06

Post by rjsussex »

Thanks Jon -

Have also been enjoying Piccolomini Rosso 06 which is a touch hotter than the Lisinis(14.5% rather than 14%) and more floral-burgundian than Lisini's vivid fruit and drier profile. Turning from the Lisini Rossos to the good but much cheaper straight Cafaggio CC 06 was a shock - the latter seemed so sweet! I think good Rossos, if Lisini is a good example, have a drier more Medoc-style profile than CC and CC Riserva?

Richard