TNs: '89 Dom. de Chevalier and '85 Certan de May

Ramon_NYC

TNs: '89 Dom. de Chevalier and '85 Certan de May

Post by Ramon_NYC »

A belated posting on a few Bordeaux drank during dinner at Aubergine Restaurant in Fort Bonifacio, Philippines. All wines were BYOB'd.

2003 Ch. Carbonnieux Blanc, Pessac-Leognan
Purchased at a local wine store at a very steep premium, but I was hard-pressed to come up with a white Bordeaux starter for the dinner.
Aromatic, floral, wood bouquet. Ripe, lush, rich, slightly oily, smooth and easy. A short finish, but nonetheless an impressive, easy-to-like white Bordeaux. B+

1985 Ch. Certan de May, Pomerol
Expressive nose with mature bouquet, including leather, cigar, hay and slight meadow poop. Red fruit, silky, feminine sexy, soft structure, medium finish. Elegant with a good stern structure. A-

1989 Dom. de Chevalier Rouge, Pessac-Leognan
Leafy, minty, cigar, and leather nose. Meat, still tannic, ripe but quite lean, high acidity, big and a mouthful. Chewy, chunky and lengthy finish. Imho, a good/worthy contrast to the Certan de May, but could use a few more cellar years. B+
Comte Flaneur

Re: TNs: '89 Dom. de Chevalier and '85 Certan de May

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Ah Certan De May 1985 - what a legend that wine is - drank my last one a few years back - was that a byo Ramon or on the list?
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Spot on note on the Carbonnieux 2003, Ramon. It was great value for a while there.

Didn't we have the 1985 Certan de May (blind) at the BWE convention 2009? If so, it was dwarfed by the '82 P. Lalande and the monster '89 Lynch, a wine which I seem to recall getting attention 'round these parts.
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Comte Flaneur wrote:Ah Certan De May 1985 - what a legend that wine is - drank my last one a few years back - was that a byo Ramon or on the list?
It was byo'd and I brought this bottle from NY . Over the years that I've travelled to the Philippines, I find that most restaurant wine lists are terrible and obscenely marked-up. Corkage fees are peanuts, though.