1995 Pape-Clement and Angelus

Rick

1995 Pape-Clement and Angelus

Post by Rick »

My friend Mark brought 2 bottles to a dinner last night and told me to leave mine at home how could I refuse with these two wines
Both wines will last for a long time but neither needs any more time

1995 PC
medium bodied, dark ruby/purple color all the way through, what a nose lead pencil and smoke hit you right away mixed in with some tobacco. In the mouth some tannins and loads sweet dark ,complex, balanced........fun to drink side by side with Angelus..94pts

1995 Angelus
dark core with a bit of orange at the rim, big/huge wine..the nose when the first glass was poured was strawberries and cheeries with a little spice ( maybe it is the olives RP speaks of)......great nose.......tannins are not at all rough.smooth and rich from start to a long finish.........95pts

rick
Comte Flaneur

Re: 1995 Pape-Clement and Angelus

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Thanks for your notes Rick. The talents of the 95 Angelus are now well documented. The 95 Pape less so. In fact it was one of the very last 'old style' Papes before the wine started to become modernised from 1996
stefan

Re: 1995 Pape-Clement and Angelus

Post by stefan »

Oooh, nice, Rick. All the '95 right bank wines I have drunk have entered their "plateau of maturity" and are great to drink now.

stefan