TN: 86 Mouton

Jay Winton

TN: 86 Mouton

Post by Jay Winton »

opened and decanted for 5 hours in a cool cellar for my father's 83rd birthday at the family house in TN. I had been meaning to drink one of my 2 remaining bottles with him for some time and was motivated by the recent death of my wife's mother to bring it with me-while my father is in good health, I did not want to wait any longer. Unfortunately, it was not a great showing, IMO, as I found the tannins neck and neck with the fruit giving it quite an austere flavor. The flavor profile reminded me of some 75s I've had ex. Montrose which exhibited the same characteristics. We also opened a 07 (need to look at the label again to remember the producer) premier cru chablis which was quite good but youthful. Fortunately, chablis remains a good buy and I think this vintage is one of the best I've had recently from this region.
AlexR

Re: TN: 86 Mouton

Post by AlexR »

Hi Jay,

I attended a BWE dinner in New York in October 2008.
We had about 15 stellar Bordeaux wines (mosly Médoc) from the 1986 vintage, and there was pretty much of a consensus that Mouton was in the top three wines (there were 3 other first growths).

What it goes to show is that "there are no great wines, only great bottles".

I hope that your remaining bottle is more like the one we tasted.

All the best,
Alex R.
JonoB

Post by JonoB »

At an Bordeaux 86 horizontal last summer in London, the star wines were the 86 LAfite, 86 Ducru, and 86 Palmer.
And I agree with Alex on the 'only great bottles', because the Mouton and Margaux were good but not great compared to other bottles of the same wine.

J.
Jonathan Beagle's Wine Blog
An explanation of my 100 point scoring system

Sake Consultant for SAKE@UK the Sake Import Division of JAPAN@UK

President of the Cambridge University Wine Society 2015-2016

(ITB)
Claret

Post by Claret »

The 375 of 1986 Mouton that I opened last year was still closed and not giving much even after 24 hours, including mucho decanter time. I felt cheated.

Glenn
Glenn
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Please give my condolences to Peggy, Jay, I know her mother had been struggling with her health for some time.

That 1986 Mouton you brought to Sonoma '06 was one of my top five wine experiences ever, I believe I rated it 100+, it probably had the longest, most mouth-numbing finish I've ever experienced.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

JimHow wrote:Please give my condolences to Peggy, Jay, I know her mother had been struggling with her health for some time.

That 1986 Mouton you brought to Sonoma '06 was one of my top five wine experiences ever, I believe I rated it 100+, it probably had the longest, most mouth-numbing finish I've ever experienced.
Thanks Jim. It has been a long year but Peggy is at peace and her mother is no longer in pain. The Mouton we drank in CA was much better than the one I drank with my dad-no great wines, only great bottles I guess.
William P

Post by William P »

My condolences to your wife, Jay. The years tending to elderly parents were some of the most stressing times in my life.