TN: 1985 Pichon Lalande (from magnum)

JCNorthway

TN: 1985 Pichon Lalande (from magnum)

Post by JCNorthway »

Several years ago, my wine club decided it had too many older wines in its cellar to drink in a timely fashion. So we decided to do a "wine dividend" to distribute a few bottles to each current member. I happened to receive two magnums of 1985 Pichon Lalande for which I'm been seeking an opportunity to open ever since. This week afforded the opportunity to open one of them with three wine-loving dinner guests, and grilled loin lamb chops on the menu. I did not really know what to expect from this wine at 37 years of age. I opened it mid-afternoon to make sure it was drinkable, and it seemed fine. I decanted it about three hours before dinner.

This was a fabulous wine; nice fruit aromas with dark fruit flavors on the palate. The tannins were fairly resolved, but there was still adequate structure and freshness to compliment the fruit. It had a nice lingering finish on the palate. I found it to be a classic mid-1980s Bordeaux that was completely enjoyable. Perhaps my wine of the year so far. Now I need to find a reason to open the other magnum.
Nicklasss

Re: TN: 1985 Pichon Lalande (from magnum)

Post by Nicklasss »

Nice report John.

All those positive reviews about 1985 red Bordeaux are turning me "ON". PLL, LLC, Beychevelle, Cos d'Estournel...

Which recent vintage is the new 1985?
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Sounds wonderful. Out of 750, this was the WOTN in an impressive Bordeaux lineup. Edging out the 86, 89, 01, along with the 00 Ducru and Calon as well. I just acquired a bottle so I hope it turns out as good as that one and yours.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Nice!
I have a mag of the 1983 PLL. Looking forward to opening it at our friends' beach house this summer.
stefan

Post by stefan »

>>
my wine club decided it had too many older wines in its cellar to drink in a timely fashion...
I did not really know what to expect from this wine at 37 years of age.
>>

I assume that you are joking. Apparently it tasted just as I would expect. Nice score!
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

My note on the ‘89

This is essence of Pichon Lalande. Spice, chocolate, herbs, fruit, leather all held with a seemingly soft but very precise structure. A lovely mature wine, not going anywhere for some years.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Nice to know about the '89. I have a magnum that is waiting to celebrate an anniversary from 1989.