If my stocks are down 20% and my wine is up 20%, in which should I invest?

JimHow

If my stocks are down 20% and my wine is up 20%, in which should I invest?

Post by JimHow »

If US democracy fails in the 2022 and 2024 national elections, should I buy more stocks or should I buy more Bordeaux?
Nicklasss

Re: If my stocks are down 20% and my wine is up 20%, in which should I invest?

Post by Nicklasss »

I was thinking the same. The 2018 Rousseau Chambertin did not lost a cent, and the 2012 Roumier Chambolle took an extra +200$ per bottle in the last month...

I guess you'll be rich in 15 years, with your stash of 2015 Canon/2016 Mouton Rothschild.
Last edited by Nicklasss on Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

The classic buy low, sell high mantra suggests we should sell our wine and invest the proceeds in stocks.

Something tells me that ain't happening.
AKR

Post by AKR »

The only 'thing' that is up in casita AKR is clumps of pet hair. Both the malign long haired feline and the GSD are shedding their winter coats :(
stefan

Post by stefan »

Had I been smart and moved into all cash at the beginning of the year, I would now put 80% back into stocks and use the rest to build a world class wine collection.

As is, I think about delaying further my retirement.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

I bought 20K of 1 series bonds last year and this year. Not much in the portfolio overall but it's tied to inflation so current yield is over 9%. We're slowly dollar cost averaging the proceeds from our home sale last year via our planner's advice. I won't get more complicated in the uncertain world of today and tomorrow.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I still like my real-estate-is-mostly-likely-path-to-billion-dollars strategy, which Jacques corroborated with his algorithm a couple years ago.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

JimHow wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:28 pm I still like my real-estate-is-mostly-likely-path-to-billion-dollars strategy, which Jacques corroborated with his algorithm a couple years ago.
No argument there. We did extremely well with the sale of our previous home and our current residence (and only property) has increased in value exponentially. That said, at our advanced age, we only want to manage one home. That could change but we are content for now.
jal

Post by jal »

JimHow wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:28 pm I still like my real-estate-is-mostly-likely-path-to-billion-dollars strategy, which Jacques corroborated with his algorithm a couple years ago.
Yeah, no. You’re not leveraged enough.
DavidG wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:22 pm The classic buy low, sell high mantra suggests we should sell our wine and invest the proceeds in stocks.

Something tells me that ain't happening.
I was going to post the same thing when I saw the thread.
Best

Jacques
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I’m just a humble country lawyer with no aspirations to be a billionaire, I’m just looking forward to my Medicare at 65 and monthly social security checks when I turn 66 and 8 months. Just changed the oil on the Blue Demon at the 371,000 mile mark, I swear it is going to outlive me. When I get feeble just put me in a room with CNN on the TV and uncork my 2016 Moutons for me at about 5pm for the evening. Like David has said before, I’ll leave a moderate sized wine cellar behind for my loved ones.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Guys
I have been investing in the stock market since I was eleven and in wine since I was eighteen. The stock market investments started due to an inheritance in the late sixties which wasn’t worth anything but it got me interested in investing from a young age. As such I like making and investing money more than spending it - until I started enjoying wine. So I think we cannot rationally trade them off.

The top wines in France will continue to rise in value unless the world economy completely collapses and despite supply chain failures, COVID-19 and the war in Ukraine, it is not likely to happen. However that applies to the famous wines and regions and not necessarily less renowned wines. However world wine consumption increased steadily during Covid-19 based on data from the AWRI. So if you have lots of famous wines then you have a good asset.

As for the stock market I’m looking to buy the dip and hold. Luckily I cleared out my crypto currencies some time ago and I’m watching them bottom out before I’m game enough to buy again.

So I suppose my theory is to buy both stocks and fine wine and drink the wine if the market softens - which I’d argue is not likely for Bordeaux or Burgundy.

Cheers
Mark
AKR

Post by AKR »

I am diversifying, by collecting an unassailable horde/hoard (sp?) of cats.

jckba

Post by jckba »

AKR wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:49 pm I am diversifying, by collecting an unassailable horde/hoard (sp?) of cats.

I’ll stick to wine and no cat litters, thanks :mrgreen:
AKR

Post by AKR »

They'll watch backyard rodents with a vigilant eye, twitching their tail, totally still, even tolerant.

Would a stack of celery laden Loire reds do that for you?
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Guys
I don’t have any cats these days but I had multiple cats all the years I was in Australia and for the first few years here - they died from old age and a spoilt lifestyle without any need to chase mice or rats.

One reason I can’t handle NZ Sauvignon Blanc is that it smells too much like a litter tray. When in London many years ago there was a supermarket brand of Sav Blanc called “cat’s pee on a gooseberry bush” and for some bizarre reason, some people actually drank it. Had a drawing on the label which I am sure you can work out. Ugh. Oh well. Actually Australians generally get on ok with Kiwis provided it does not involve rugby or wine.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Over the years not one of our three (so far) felines has ever presented us with a trophy quality rodent. I would complain, but my wife would point out that the warranty on a 'free' cat isn't worth the paper it isn't printed on.

But the dachshund would horrify everyone by not only killing them, presenting them, and then playing with the carcass.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Arv
Better idea to stop cats and dogs from killing and/or eating rodents as they are disease carriers and the spoilt Persians, Birmans and Burmese cats I had for decades were kept away from them. On one occasion my alter ego Claudius- who was a very pampered blue Persian named after the Emperor - managed to catch a few mice and was rather surprised that I would not let him kill or eat them. Ugh. I ended up killing them with a shovel and wrapped them thoroughly and stuck them in the trash bin. He was rewarded with a nice juicy steak which he gleefully accepted.
marcs

Post by marcs »

Wine prices are obviously far more opaque than stocks. I suspect a lot of aged wine prices are down by 20% too but it will take a couple of months of auctions for that to become clear. The whole concept of what a price is in an illiquid market gets fuzzy, prices are only made real when people do an actual exchange in the marketplace.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Claudius2 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:07 pm Arv
Better idea to stop cats and dogs from killing and/or eating rodents as they are disease carriers and the spoilt Persians, Birmans and Burmese cats I had for decades were kept away from them. On one occasion my alter ego Claudius- who was a very pampered blue Persian named after the Emperor - managed to catch a few mice and was rather surprised that I would not let him kill or eat them. Ugh. I ended up killing them with a shovel and wrapped them thoroughly and stuck them in the trash bin. He was rewarded with a nice juicy steak which he gleefully accepted.
Well at least he was attempting to pay tribute to his leader.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Arv
I think the truest saying about pets is that dogs have masters and cats have slaves.

I have never had the same type of relationship with any animal before - that quirky, eccentric and highly intelligent cat was like an entirely different species
When he was young, he was locked in a power battle with an equally spoilt and rather burly seal point Himalayan, but he was truly the Emperor when he succeeded him.

For some reason, Wendy is somewhat phobic about cats and dogs.
I cannot find any historic antecedent to it - typically, a bad experience when young leads to phobias but in this case, it really does not make sense.
I've converted her into a wine lover but am not doing too well in the pet department.

cheers
Mark