What is your chateau du jour?

Comte Flaneur

What is your chateau du jour?

Post by Comte Flaneur »

And why?

Not: what is your favourite chateau, period; but what is the estate that really exites you in 2009/10?...that rocks your boat when you say I must really buy more wine from Chateau XYZ...in the name of scientific research (ITNOSR), or for whatever reason?

Mine is Ch. Grand Puy Lacoste

It all started at a BWE event in Manhattan in 2006 when the 95 and 78 shone in a pretty strong line up. I had the 95 again last November with Ramon and Chris and then again in December ski-ing n Austria (it was on the list for 98 euros). At the risk of descending into east coast bar-room vernacular, GPL 95 rocks!

Then the 2006 I had the other day ($38) having read a favourable review from a (German) guy in Texas called Stefan....Pelz. A junior '95 in the making. There are all the other vintages to discover and my hypothesis is this estate offers almost unparalleled quality price rapport (QPR), that GPL is one of the purest expressions of Pauillac, it is very well made and steadily improving on a secular basis - but despite the designer "Lacoste" name is not very fashionable. Well, at least not as fashionable as other more ...fashionable...Pauillacs, like the FGs obviously, Lynch, the Pichons and the emerging superstar Pontet Canet. Batailley is even less fashionable that GPL, but is more rustic and less classy...
stefan

Re: What is your chateau du jour?

Post by stefan »

La Lagune, which was under the radar until 2005. I cannot keep enough of this around as Lucie demands that we drink it often.

Also Leoville Barton, one of the best values among the 2nd growths. Tonight we drank the '99, which is wonderful, with tons of cassis and red currants spiced with pepper.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Before I stopped drinking wine I was really getting into Duhart Milon, which I feel has become (or become more) Lafite in character.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Stefan,

Glad you enjoyed the 99 Leoville Barton. That's the wine I was touting a few months back as really coming into its own.

Jon
rjsussex

Post by rjsussex »

Among classed growths: Durfort Vivens. Also my nomination for best value classed-growth. 02, 04, 05 and 06 (drunk last night: note to follow) simply text-book top quality classed-growth Margaux (in the Ch Margaux rather than Palmer style: seriously!) at an impossible to believe price (because of you know who being banned from tasting it - another reason for my nomination). Price: 02 was £14, 04 was £15, and 06 was £18. Even the 05 was only £21.

Richard
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Sounds like one I'll need to try, Richard. Is there a story behind this ban? And how exactly does a producer "ban" a critic from tasting a wine? The stuff is available on the open market. Or does RP no longer bother with wines that aren't presented to him by the Chateau...
rjsussex

Post by rjsussex »

Not sure, David, but Gonzague Lurton apparently won't let him come to the property and, yes, I assume he doesn't provide him with samples.

I don't read Advocate so I'm guessing when I say that Durfort doesn't feature in RP's en primeur tastings?

Do try it! A number of good UK merchants (eg Berry Bros, Justerinis) have been behind it for some years. Excellent terroir very close to Ch Margaux.

Richard
stefan

Post by stefan »

Jon, you and stefanJr mentioning it is what caused me to crack my case. Thanks,

stefan
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Italian wines of all sorts, but particularly those made from Nebbiolo and Sangiovese.

2001 Germans (still plenty out there to back-fill with).

Ok, from Bordeaux, I am jazzed by Duhart, d'Armailhac, d'Issan, Domaine de Chevalier (rouge), Vieille Cure, Faizeau Vieilles Vignes, and the '82,'86,'88 and '89 Meyneys (again, still available for back-filling). All offer excellent QPR. I just had the 1988 Meyney (purchased for $35) and it was sensational. Better than a 1986 I had recently and giving the 1989 a run for its money.

If I had to pick one chateau of recent vintage, I would go with the Duhart Milon.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Richard, no RP notes on Durfort-Vivens since the '95. No doubt he could buy it on the open market if he wished to taste/review it. Perhaps it's a case of mutual dis-respect...

Looks like the '05 is available locally for $40, will give it a try next time I get down to DC.
rjsussex

Post by rjsussex »

Thanks David - yes I recall RP once wrote about Gonzague Lurton being an arrogant young man - words to that effect!

R

Hope you enjoy the 05
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I just picked up a case of the 2006 D-V for Stg157 (Goedhuis) or US$250

If it is as good as you say must be a bargain
rjsussex

Post by rjsussex »

Great price Ian - have just snuffled up their last case - thanks for the tip!

R
rjsussex

Post by rjsussex »

... and in reply again: at a price point above Durfort Vivens I'd go for Dom de Chevalier - 01, 04, 05 (not tasted) and 06 - just tasted (wonderful): always good and now improving further without losing its refinement and subtlety: and prices still around £24 for the 06.

Richard