Value in Bordeaux

Nicklasss

Value in Bordeaux

Post by Nicklasss »

AlexR is a defender of the fact that the Bordeaux area still offer great wines at an affordable price. Of course, on our side of the Atlantic, we don't get access to the same selection as in France, but sometimes we found some real jewels.

Last night, the 2012 Château le Vivier was one of them, for 20$. Medium body, classic style claret, superb mixture of blackcurrants, blackberries, some earthy tones, very light green coffee beans and licorice. Still plenty of body, tanins, freshness. Drink now, and in the next 5 years. A must. Tn: 90.
Attachments
An incredible nice surprise.
An incredible nice surprise.
Dandersson

Re: Value in Bordeaux

Post by Dandersson »

I agree with AlexR, so much value in Bordeaux. I am enjoying wines like Lilian Ladouys, Larose Trintaudon, Pierre de Montignac, Chantegrive, Senejac etc. For me they are better than anything from the rest of the world under $25. Sounds like I should add Le Vivier to the list.
Thank you for the tasting note Nick!

Best, Dan
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Well done, gentlemen. To me, as soon as I get a chance in between my hectic schedule, I'm going to go down the Maine Turnpike into the Granite State and pick up a case or two of the 2016 Larose Trintaudon in the $20 range... Hard to find a better value out there.

90 points ain't nothing to sneeze at, Nicola.
I'm a generous scorer (because I'm a Bordeaux wine enthusiast), but I don't hand out 90 points lightly.
90 points to me means that the wine has crossed a certain threshold, sometimes indefinable, but I know it when I see (taste) it.
marcs

Post by marcs »

I’m not that interested in lower priced value wines any more because at my (limited) pace of drinking I have decades of excellent wines stored up already…just no need for a Larose Trintaudon in my cellar. Surprised you aren’t in the same situation Jim? Anyway I do recommend them to others