TN: Chateau Malescot Saint-Exupery 2004

Comte Flaneur

TN: Chateau Malescot Saint-Exupery 2004

Post by Comte Flaneur »

On opening a big whiff of sweet oak and a fairly opaque brooding maroon. Sweet oak and cherry notes dominate on the palate - cherry cola and cherry pit stone, but there is also hints of licorice and perfumed notes of dried flowers and sweet dried fruit. Not only does it have lashings of sweet oak but it has that furriness I associate with other 2004s - a somewhat contrived aspect to its personality. Not very Margaux my first impression is that this is a modern, contrived - even spoofulated - wine that I don't particularly care for.

The best bit, however, comes next and is the expansive and lush mid-palate and then the long, languid finish which unfurls and lingers on the back of the palate. This is certainly a very good wine if not really 'my type'. It was on special for $35 which is cheap for the quality. This was one of the two wines I bought EP in 2004, the other was La Conseillante, which is a more backward and serious wine, which I prefer. But will keep the Malescot and see how it evolves over the years.

The Malescot was preceded by an excellent and vibrant $20 white burgundy: Pierre Vessigaud Pouilly Fuisse Vieilles Vignes, 2006
jal

Re: TN: Chateau Malescot Saint-Exupery 2004

Post by jal »

I must have drunk 3-4 bottles of this wine so far. I like it a lot more than you Ian.
Best

Jacques
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

I think I have three or four bottles of this. I should check on it.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Ian,

Thanks for sharing.

I have a bunch of 2004s and am wondering when I should be opening them...

From what I gathe, Malescot is coming up in the world but this may mean (just a supposition) that it has more Parker points, thereby reflecting a change in style.

All the best,
Alex
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I tried a bottle upon release and went back and bought a case.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

AlexR wrote:Ian,

Thanks for sharing.

I have a bunch of 2004s and am wondering when I should be opening them...

From what I gathe, Malescot is coming up in the world but this may mean (just a supposition) that it has more Parker points, thereby reflecting a change in style.

All the best,
Alex
Though I have had no 'previous' with this estate your hypothesis sounds reasonable Alex. More like Lascombes (another estate that has strayed down the path of temptation) than quintessential Margaux imho. I could not help but notice that the 2005 M S-X rates 97 from You Know Who, with a price tag to match.
rjsussex

Post by rjsussex »

I'm with Ian on Malescot - loved it decades ago but not any more.

R
JonB

Post by JonB »

I've also had this wine several times and ended up buying a case. It has a riper, somewhat sweet profile with more than average body, silky and a background of classic Margaux fruit. I can see how those who don't like sweetness or density would not find this attractive, but for those that do it is a good value....e.g. $35 at binny's.