'07 Beaucastel in stock at Sherry Lehman for $98.

JimHow

'07 Beaucastel in stock at Sherry Lehman for $98.

Post by JimHow »

Sounds like this "on sale" price for in stock 2007 Beaucastel is not far out of the price range for this wine right now, I was thinking of buying a couple bottles, is this a go or no go at that price?
Blanquito

Re: '07 Beaucastel in stock at Sherry Lehman for $98.

Post by Blanquito »

Wine-Searcher Pro shows the 2001 (an awesome Beaucastel) for $80-85, and the 1998 for $99. Seems like back-filling is the way to go, IMHO.

From what I've tasted on the 2007 CDPs, it's a vintage that is marked by really sweet, almost sugary fruit (at least right now). There are many great wines, but I liked the 2001 more at this stage, FWIW.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes but I thought 2007 southern Rhone was the greatest vintage in the history of civilization anywhere.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

In the history of that veritable cradle of civilization, Monkton , without a doubt, yes!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

But how can it not be the greatest vintage ever from any viticultural region, Robert Parker says it is so...

I'm confused....
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

And don't forget he discovered rhone wines too...

And you heard that here first on BWE
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Check this:
WS 96 -The Last Of The Great '07 Beaucastel!
Coudoulet de Beaucastel 2007 Cotes du Rhone Rouge
It's Back! 92 Points Wine Advocate! The very last batch! "The blockbuster 2007 Cotes du Rhone Coudoulet, always one of the best bargains from the south, may be the finest Coudoulet ever produced. A blend of 30% Mourvedre, 30% Grenache, and the rest Syrah, Cinsault, and a few other authorized varietals, is incredibly opulent and rich, with sensational notes of black currants, licorice, smoked herbs, and meat juices, a full-bodied mouthfeel, savory tannins, and good acidity as well as length. This outstanding wine can be drunk now or cellared for 10-15 years."

2007 Chateau de Beaucastel Cotes du Rhone Coudoulet de Beaucastel
Red Wine; Rhone Blend; Rhone; SALE $24.99
Reg. $29.95

Chat de Beaucastel 2007 Chat-du-Pape Rouge
96 Points Wine Spectator! Last Chance! "Extremely dense, with layer upon layer of melted fig, mulled boysenberry and black currant fruit, all laced with notes of charred mesquite, hoisin sauce and Kenya AA coffee. The long, silky mouthfeel belies the latent power in reserve-and there's a lot of it, with waves of grip driving the finish. Best from 2010 through 2030. From France. 15,000 cases made."
96 Points Wine Advocate: "Beaucastel's 2007 Chateauneuf du Pape has turned out even better out of bottle than I predicted. An inky/ruby/purple color is followed by a glorious nose of blue and black fruits, truffles, pen ink, licorice, and meat juices as well as glorious levels of acidity and sweet tannin, buttressing the fruit's fabulous freshness and vibrancy. This full-bodied effort still displays considerable tannin, no doubt because of the relatively high Mourvedre content. It shoul d resolve its tannins in 2-4 years, and last for 25 or more."

2007 Chateau de Beaucastel Chateauneuf du Pape
Red Wine; Rhone Blend; Rhone; SALE $79.95

Reg. $99.99

Tardieu Laurent 2007 Chat-du-Pape Rouge
93 Points Wine Spectator! Limited! "This is packed with deliciously ripe boysenberry and blackberry fruit, all laced with graphite, incense and Turkish coffee hints. Shows a nice edgy minerality through the ripe, muscular finish. Grenache and Syrah. Best from 2010 through 2020. 250 cases made."

2007 Tardieu-Laurent Chateauneuf du Pape
Red Wine; Rhone Blend; Rhone; SALE $49.95

Reg. $59.99

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This promotion begins 02/04/2010 and ends 02/11/2010!

Please do not reply to this email!
We ship to most states where allowed by law. Please review our new shipping information on our website. If you are concerned about temperatures in your area, please contact us regarding shipping date.
If you decide to pay in advance, we will hold your merchandise for up to 90 days free of charge.
If you choose to visit the store, you must print this page and present it to the cashier to receive these promotional prices. Please notice that all prices are US dollars/bt.

Canal's Bottlestop (Marlton)
10 W.Route 70
Marlton, NJ 08053
Phone: 1.856.983.4991
Email: canalsmarlton@msn.com
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

The much smarter buy is Thierry Allemand's Cornas Reynard rather than this freak show
Rick

Post by Rick »

Jim

As you know I like the 07 Rhones but the 01 Beaucastel is a real winner - I would buy it vs the 07 with essentially little price difference.....a know good wine vs we hope the 07 is good
Plus there are many other highly rated 07 Rhones that are less expensive

However the 79.99 sale might convince me to buy 1 and try it quickly to see if I needed :) more

Rick
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

I've been studying vintage psychology for some time now Jim. The newer great vintage is the way to go now, but in 10-20 years the older great vintage will be more desirable. Actually you should buy both.
JonB

Post by JonB »

This was in the mid- $60s not too long ago.

FYI, IWC rates Beaucastel CdP '05 94, '06 93, '07 94 ; WS '05 96; '06 95; '07 96.

I think if you looked hard you can find $79 price at a number of places....e.g. www.bassins.com (MacAurthers in Wash. DC).

The '06 is still available at a few places for the $60s. (e.g MacAurthers).
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ok thanks for your input guys I think you talked me out of it. I don't HAVE to have this wine.
Claret

Post by Claret »

Comte Flaneur wrote:a glorious nose of blue and black fruits, truffles, pen ink
Pen ink must smell great to RP.

Beaucastel has had recent price escalation. The last 2 vintages that I bought were the 1994 at $28 and 1998 at $45. The Coudelet looks like a best buy again. It can be ageworthy and Beaucastel like for a modest fare.

Glenn
Glenn
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Yes, '01 Beau is a great wine. I bet '07 will be too. At least at $70 I was willing to place that bet. At $100 for the '07, I'd probably buy more '01 @ $80, at least if you don't have it. But it would be nice to have a few bottles of each.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'll probably just buy one bottle.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I ended up buying one bottle. Should I bring it for the Chicago '10 Friday night dinner?
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Jim,

Selfishly, I'd love to taste it just to see what it is like at this stage in its life. However, I would recommend that you hide it in your cellar for 10-15 years and then bring it out. I have a suspicion it will be more enjoyable then.

Jon
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Agree with Jon... It wont impress you much if drunk now.
Rick

Post by Rick »

I have not had the 07 Beaucastel but they have historically been designed to start showing well in 10 yrs so I was told on a tour of their cellars

However Jim, I must admit I would like to know what I am not buying in the 07 Beaucastel........I suspect we would need some serious decanting. If I recall correctly for new Beaucastel that they are open for a while befroe they go asleep

rick
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Sounds like a waste of a good wine. I was under the impression that the Friday dinner was a tasting of 2007s, is that not the case? If not, I'll bring something with more age on it.
Rick

Post by Rick »

As you know Jim...a few folks have amind of theirown :):)

We do doubt need a little variety and all 07 CdPs might do our palates in!! though I was hoping we could try many of the top 07 CdPs so folks attending the dinner could get a sense for what all the posts are about . None of us have all of these so we could share a tastes for thise we do not have. Plus we have had so many good conversations on them

Actually based on a post in another thread it got me thinking there are some very nice CdRs in 07 and no doubt in the N Rhone as well........I have some really good 07 CdRs

Some of the 07s I have tried should absolutely be better in years to come, some are very good right now and why wait. Plus you do not really know until you try them.........the 07 VT is one i would not have expected to be so good so young or the Janasse Chaupin

rick
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Not all 2007 Chateauneufs are closed down - last weekend we enjoyed a bottle of 2007 Bastide St. Dominique Secrets Pignan VV. A big, rich, fruity wine that open for business. It 's $45 at Bassin's/MacArthur in DC.

Chris Bublitz
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I think we would do very well with selected "open" '07 CduPs and some of the better '07 Cotes du Rhones, and a few older Rhones that no doubt will show up. I don't think that every wine has to be a "critic-anointed star." Some of the great value '07 Cotes du Rhones would be very interesting.