Why is there something rather than nothing, and '12 Jadot Corton Peugeots.

JimHow

Why is there something rather than nothing, and '12 Jadot Corton Peugeots.

Post by JimHow »

...I say it all has something to do with gravity, and how it affects space and time. Some other guy said that about a hundred years ago.

What is consciousness? How do we "see" and "taste" the wines of the northern Medoc, and is what we are sensing in any way a reflection of reality?

Honestly, guys, I don't think we exist. There is something out there in other dimensions that we plasma-units don't understand, that explains all of this. It's okay, it is nothing to freak out about.

Hume was first on to this, and in the end Wittgenstein. It has been pretty quiet on the subject since. I wonder whether either of those Europeans ever tasted the fine wines of the northern Medoc.... I doubt it, but their philosophies would have probably benefitted.

Random thoughts on a Friday night as I sip a 2012 Jadot Corton Pougets, still very youthful. I should probably drink more Burgundy, gotta follow the Jacques Levy lead. Basically, all Burgundy is good, every vintage....

...whether we exist or not.
JimHow

Re: Why is there something rather than nothing, and '12 Jadot Corton Peugeots.

Post by JimHow »

Man this wine needs a good 2-3 blanquitos. Still acerbic.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I'm interested in all those things, but as a chemist, i'm limited in the quantic physic.

Me too drinking red wine of Bourgogne tonight, no Grand Cru, but 2020 Alexandre Parigot Hautes-Côtes de Beaune. That is a very fine pinot, nothing like the Chambolle or Pommard, but still very well made in a purple and acidic red berries, light wood spices, bramble. Not the longest, but nice anyhow, and is disapearing quickly... like something that never really existed.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Interesting thoughts. I struggle with those abstract views personally though.

As far as the wine goes, I had the 1990 out of a half bottle and it was amazing. One of my wines of the year in 2020. I’m waiting on my 2005s and 2010s. I bet you’re about right on the aging
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Racer Chris wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:04 am I drink, therefore I am.
Well Descartes was known to like a glass or three of Bordeaux.
Hume being a Scot of course got frisky on whisky but I think Wittgenstein slummed it with beer.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Helo Jim. What is your final verdict on the wine? I'm asking because you must like to be the judge, instead of the lawyer, when tasting wine.

And want it or not, Corton is probably the last "kind of affordable" Bourgogne Grand Cru. But probably, not for long...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I think I’ve got it about 89, Nic, didn’t quite cross the threshold for me, but it may still be young. Seemed a little thin. I think I liked the 2012 Jadot Corton-Greves a point or two better. Still, it was nice to mix it up a little bit.
AKR

Post by AKR »

We had the 2009 version of that Jadot earlier this summer, probably a touch rounder than the vintage you had? It was good, but they seem very expensive for what they are.
marcs

Post by marcs »

David Hume was one of the most prolific entertainers in Scotland and had a salon at which Adam Smith and other celebrated Scottish enlightenment intellectuals were regular attendees. He was known to have a large and luxurious wine cellar to supply them. Not only did he certainly drink Medoc wines, he probably owned more than we do.

I have some 2009 and 2010 Jadot Corton Pougets, purchased for like $80/bottle back in the day. Even today it's available for well under $200. Like other red Corton it's still a relative bargain for a grand cru, although that's because Corton just isn't as seductive as Nuits wines, even premier crus. I tried the 2010 a few years ago and it was shut down tight tight tight, just a wall of astringent tannin. I'll probably have to wait until 2030 to try them...hopefully they come around. I've found Bouchard Le Corton, an old favorite from my very early forays into Burgundy, to open up a lot earlier and be more friendly.