LG Wine and Food Pairings

un bureaucrate

LG Wine and Food Pairings

Post by un bureaucrate »

Hi all, I searched the forum to see if anyone had posted this already, and nothing turned up.

The attached table is taken from the first US English language edition of the Larousse Gastronomique, from the early 1960s. As I understand it, this is a translation (with some amendments) of the original French Larousse, a grand and definitive :!: tome of French cuisine. Figured that for anyone here who hasn’t seen it already, it will be at least interesting, and at best stimulate and inspire some pairings you might not have tried yet.

Thomas
Attachments
5671A727-7AFA-4750-8CB2-F43D82B75C4A.jpeg
JoelD

Re: LG Wine and Food Pairings

Post by JoelD »

This is a good list. Although I think Lamb goes with just about every good french red these days. I'm betting some of those left bank reds were so light back in the day. I certainly agree about well marbled steaks though, they are too dense and savory for classic red Bordeaux. Sadly the parkerized right bank wines go quite well with a big bone in ribeye. Too bad I don't drink those anymore. Might have to open one more 2005 Pavie with one for nostalgia purposes though.

If I ever get to drink a Montrachet, maybe I'll try it with some foies gras!
DavidG

Re: LG Wine and Food Pairings

Post by DavidG »

Thanks UB, very interesting. I found the absence of a foie gras/Sauternes match interesting. It’s an oft-recommended pairing, though not universally accepted. I’m a fan.