The 82s. Some thoughts

Harry C.

The 82s. Some thoughts

Post by Harry C. »

I've had some time to process the bacchanalia that was the 2022 convention. The main thing I came away with, other than the comradery and renewal of old acquaintances was the wines. There were many outstanding examples, but I was most intrigued was the 1982s. IMO, they need drinking up, unless you keep your cellar at 50 degrees F. or you are British. I found them mostly on the downslope of their plateau for drinking. There were a few examples against my opinion, but they were few. In fact, the best 1982 I tasted this weekend was the Dunn Howell Mountain! This could easily go 10 years more, but why wait? (Caution, the Arthur Johnson rule may apply)* So I expect to be blasted, but, there I said it. It was a great run while it lasted.

* Arthur Johnson rule states you must vote for the wine you brought to a tasting as WOTN.
Claudius2

Re: The 82s. Some thoughts

Post by Claudius2 »

Harry
At 40 years of age, it is generally a downhill run for nearly all wines. As for people we can still intellectually improve after 40, we are physically at our peak at circa 25so on that basis, wine is a long distance runner.

I’ve tried many old Bordeaux at the local wine auctioneer in recent years and it was a rare event that the old (1985 or earlier) wines were even vaguely drinkable.

Cheers
Mark
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Hard to argue this statement based on the 82's we had this weekend, Harry. I really enjoyed the Dunn, probably my WOTN on Friday. It would have almost been more fun to put that next to all the great wines on Saturday. The Trotanoy was awesome too, but I think I would have loved it even more about 5 years ago. I followed your Arthur Johnson rule well this weekend. Plus I put one of yours in my top 5 for each night as well.

We're doing an 1982 horizontal or two this year and I will report back. If your theory holds true, I'll be happy to plan a Philly trip and come help you drink up yours :)
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Harry we have two 1982 events this month here in banana republic Blighty - first growths on the 16th and another dinner for lesser 1982 Bordeaux on the 23rd.
Last edited by Comte Flaneur on Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I’ll be trying some good to outstanding 82s (l’Evangile, Beychevelle or Canon, l’Arrose, Lagrange, La Dominique) at an NYC dinner in early December, will report back.

Ironically, I feel like the Right Bank wines, at least the ones I prize, are holding better than many Left Bankers which indeed seemed to have peaked 5-10 years ago.
Last edited by Blanquito on Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
s*d*r

Post by s*d*r »

While I am often pimping the ‘82s, the first vintage I purchased from birth, I have to agree that most of the minor ones and even some of the mid level ones are past their best 😥.

But the ones from the grandest terroirs are still going strong although all of them are mature. The slowest one to come around, Léoville Las Cases, has finally arrived. At least a dozen of them are drinking extremely well at this point.

Take with a grain or two of salt - I like my Bordeaux on the old side. I recently attended a tasting of a dozen Margaux from vintage 2000 and thought they were all too young.
Stu

Je bois donc je suis.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

All factors considered, what is the greatest 1982?

My answer.....
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

...Gruaud Larose.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

My greatest 1982 experiences....

10. Branaire Ducru
9. Leoville Barton
8. Lynch Bages
7. Beychevelle
6. Cos d'Estournel
5. Lafite
4. Calon Segur
3. Pichon Lalande
2. Mouton
1. Gruaud Larose
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I think Talbot was top ten in that vintage
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

You know, I was gonna put in Talbot but I put Beychecelle instead. I put Branaire in there for sentimental reasons.
stefan

Post by stefan »

1. Latour
2. Mouton
3. l'Evangile
4. Canon
5. Haut Brion
6. La Lagune

7-... So many great ones that it is hard to pick. The ones above are just some that wowed me at the time.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

1. Latour
2. Mouton
3. Petrus
4. Pichon Lalande
5. Haut Brion
6. Cheval Blanc
7. Gruaud Larose

My actual experience with Latour, Petrus, and Cheval Blanc is over 10 years ago, but I’ve had the others in the last 2-5 years. I would guess well-stored bottles of Latour, Mouton, Petrus, Haut Brion, and Gruaud are still going strong for my palate. Most bottles of Pichon Lalande are fading.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

The best wines are glorious, but we are beginning to hit the point where it is great bottles rather than great wines.

Latour
Mouton

Gap

Pichon Lalande
Trotanoy
Gruaud Larose
Petrus
Lafite
Cheval Blanc
LMHB
HB
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

stefan wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:10 pm 1. Latour
2. Mouton
3. l'Evangile
4. Canon
5. Haut Brion
6. La Lagune

7-... So many great ones that it is hard to pick. The ones above are just some that wowed me at the time.
I can't believe that La Lagune, the supermarket swill, is on that list... :o :roll:
stefan

Post by stefan »

Thanks, CV. I should have noted that most 82 La Lagune is swill or worse, including any you will find these days at auction. But if you bought on futures and had perfect storage, then you might be in for a treat.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes of course the La Lagune Paradox.
I think I have one bottle of that swill in my cellar, from I think 2014.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Just checked, it’s the 2010 La Lagune… Yuck.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

10 Magdelaine - with Patrick in London a year ago
9. Figeac - in a London club five years ago the night I saw Deep Purple
8. Gruaud Larose - at its best it is magnificent
7. La Conseillante - likewise
6. Lynch Bages - which Tim who brought to Islington a few years ago, best ever Lynch
5. Ausone - Jeroboam with BWE for Tim’s 50th
4. Cheval Blanc - served out of d-mag by U.K. wine legend Howard Ripley for his 80th
3. Pichon Lalande 20 years ago - when it was smashing it - but no longer
1= Latour and Mouton - good bottles are the pinnacle of fine wine

Honourable mentions

Talbot
Branaire Ducru
Last edited by Comte Flaneur on Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Darn I forgot the ‘82 Figeac, yes that makes my top 10.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

I'll update this answer after some 82 horizontals we're doing over the next couple months. But that 82 Trotanoy Saturday will likely be in my top 10 so far. The Les forts and Talbot were great too. Hoping that my next bottle of Pichon Lalande shows better than the last.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I’ve always liked the 86 Lalande and Mouton better than their 82 counterparts, but I’ve got the 82 Gruaud slightly beating the 86. As for Talbot, I don’t know which is better, the 82 or 86, they are both amazing.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Interesting. My pick

1. Mouton Rothschild
2. Lafleur
3. Gruaud Larose
4. Figeac
5. Cheval Blanc
6. Haut-Brion
7. Cos d'Estournel
8. L'Évangile
9. Talbot
10. Lynch Bages
11. Léoville Las Cases
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

stefan wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:10 pm 1. Latour
2. Mouton
3. l'Evangile
4. Canon
5. Haut Brion
6. La Lagune

I would have guessed LMHB somewhere in your top 7.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

I've not had many 1982's, but of the ones I've enjoyed, I would put Pichon Lalande and Gruaud Larose near the top. Interestingly, I was at a vertical tasting of Pichon Lalande hosted by a former BWEer, Rich Julien, where the 1986 was amazing, and the 1982 was only great.
jckba

Post by jckba »

There are only great bottles.

I honestly haven’t had enough 82’s to cast a meaningful vote but the 82 Gruaud was one of the better Bdx I’ve had and that was roughly 10 years ago.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I've not had many 1982's, but of the ones I've enjoyed, I would put Pichon Lalande and Gruaud Larose near the top. Interestingly, I was at a vertical tasting of Pichon Lalande hosted by a former BWEer, Rich Julien, where the 1986 was amazing, and the 1982 was only great.
Indeed, Jon, the 1986 Pichon Lalande was mind blowing that night.
Like that memorable night, in the first year of BWE, when I drank it while listening to Barry White's essential hits....
Now that was pure ecstasy.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

The best 86 PLL I have had — I’ve had some other less than thrilling bottles — was a top 10 wine ever.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Blanquito wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:30 am The best 86 PLL I have had — I’ve had some other less than thrilling bottles — was a top 10 wine ever.
So far I'm 0 for 2 on 1986 Pichon Lalande. I just nabbed two more bottles. Hoping at least one of them shows up! Almost brought one to the Saturday dinner but went with some Cordier funk instead.

I am however an 3 for 3 on the amazing 1989. Every bottle has been wonderful and always one of the wines of the night. Including the bottle you brought last year. Although the 1989 Lynch did beat it out by just a hair. It won the 21 vintage Pichon vertical. And was second to the 1985 another night.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Can't disagree with anything said or included on anyones lists. Most of the 82s sadly were at there peak about 10+ years ago with some like Latour and Mouton hanging in there but PLL and others have seen better days. In the latter category and at its peak I'd say Certan de May rivalled the number one spot for years with everything firing on all cylinders . A nose to die for and perfectly balanced wine. The last 10 years have seen it on the decline like many others in this group. Now I'm sure there are some necrooenophiles on this board that are seeing these wines continue to evolve into their glory but to each their own. No right or wrong here. Just personal taste.
Danny
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

JoelD wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:00 am
Blanquito wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:30 am The best 86 PLL I have had — I’ve had some other less than thrilling bottles — was a top 10 wine ever.
So far I'm 0 for 2 on 1986 Pichon Lalande. I just nabbed two more bottles. Hoping at least one of them shows up! Almost brought one to the Saturday dinner but went with some Cordier funk instead.

I am however an 3 for 3 on the amazing 1989. Every bottle has been wonderful and always one of the wines of the night. Including the bottle you brought last year. Although the 1989 Lynch did beat it out by just a hair. It won the 21 vintage Pichon vertical. And was second to the 1985 another night.
I’ve bought more 86 PLL as well, hoping to recapture the fireworks Chris Bublitz’s* bottle displayed.

*The wines from Chris’ cellar have been amongst the best I’ve had (eg 85 LMHB twice, 90 Figeac, 66 Haut Bailly, 89 PLL, 90 Conseillante, 82 Talbot, etc) and they always seem to show especially well. Must be all his good karma.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

JimHow wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:17 am
Indeed, Jon, the 1986 Pichon Lalande was mind blowing that night.
Like that memorable night, in the first year of BWE, when I drank it while listening to Barry White's essential hits....
Now that was pure ecstasy.
Barry White one of the all time greats - my brother had a white Persian cat named after him

Two of his greatest lines:

‘(I’m) livin' in ecstasy…when you lay down next to me’ and
‘Take off that brassiere, my dear’
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Count me on the people who seem to never had a great 82 or 86 Pichon Lalande. Good ones only.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Blanquito wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:32 pm
JoelD wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:00 am

I’ve bought more 86 PLL as well, hoping to recapture the fireworks Chris Bublitz’s* bottle displayed.

*The wines from Chris’ cellar have been amongst the best I’ve had (eg 85 LMHB twice, 90 Figeac, 66 Haut Bailly, 89 PLL, 90 Conseillante, 82 Talbot, etc) and they always seem to show especially well. Must be all his good karma.
I second this. Chris has been very gracious and opened some great bottles for me as well. Don't forget about that 1987 Montelena at the Friday dinner last year. Also 89 PLL and 90 Conseillante. I'm sure there have been others that I'm forgetting. DavidG's wines have also been some of the wines of my life as well.