TN: 2006 Potensac

Chasse-Spleen

TN: 2006 Potensac

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

2006 Potensac

Dark purple color, opaque. Some vanilla oak, creosote and raspberries on the nose. More of the same on the palate, which is medium bodied and dry with good balance and fine tannins. Hint of orange peel. Good finish with a good tannic kick to it. Good tannic spine to this wine. Elegant with good freshness. Some chocolate on the palate later. Really nice stuff. Good structure with plenty of acidity and tannins which come out more at the end. Drank with a Provencal family recipe beef stew and man, was it a delicious combination! Clearly not a big Pauillac or super suave St. Julien, but definite class to this wine, which is as usual a good value. Very Bordeaux and for me, another success for the '06 vintage.

-Chris
rjsussex

Re: TN: 2006 Potensac

Post by rjsussex »

Thanks Chris - will look for this (the 05 is pretty amazing as you probably know)

glad you too are a fan of this vintage

Richard
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Thanks for your note, Richard. I really like Potensac but I'm always cautious as well, because I've had some disappointments. I think there is some bottle variation at times. The '06 and the '01 are now favorites of mine. I'll keep the '05 in mind. The '03 was nice, too but very modern verging on the dreaded, N.W. designation.

Anyone have the '06 Gloria? Ian? I know the prices are the main sticking point with '06 but I've seen the Gloria for $30 and that's about the lowest it's been since the '02.

-Chris
rjsussex

Post by rjsussex »

Chris - the Gloria 06 is a beauty and already approachable - luckily got 3 cs at v keen price - price in UK for some reason has rocketed (any one know why?)

I posted on it at same time as the even more classy Moulin de la Rose 06 - deeper and more classic as against the Gloria's sweeter and more rounded profile. Can try and find my note but perhaps you can more easily than me!

Agree absolutely about Potensac 03 - in fact I disliked it and drank them up quickly (I felt the same about Meyney 03).

R
rjsussex

Post by rjsussex »

Chris - here's my note - I actually had Gloria alongside Lagrange and Gruaud: the Moulin de la Rose was I think a week or so earlier but very clear in my mind (definitely worth a search of the market)

'Gloria: lovely lustrous colour; very pure (and therefore rather surprising!) aromatics, a compote of fresh and cooked fruit, deliciously St Julien; quite loose-knit on palate, sweetly and succulently balanced, very good but as expected not at all as structured, refined or classic as Moulin de la Rose.'

R
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Thanks, Richard. Prices for Gloria have skyrocketed here, as well, with the '05 and even '04 in the $45 - $50 range. I've seen the '06 for a lot less so it's time to revisit this favorite wine. But I'll have to keep my eye out for the Moulin de la Rose although I think Ian may have brought a bottle over to my place at one point. I don't think I quite saw it the way you guys did. Ian - what was that vintage/wine? Was it the '05??? I thought it was structured but modern in style. A big wine but somewhat monolithic. Maybe a bit tight. Hard to judge also after drinking an awesome Gevrey-Chambertin '05 Village wine and a great Chassagne-Montrachet '06.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Hi Chris - it was the '05 Moulin de la Rose. It was $25-26, which is a bargain for what I feels is a classic, structured St-J even if making some concessions to modernity. And Richard I was toasting you when I drank that...

The Gloria 2006 was on sale at the Wine Connection for $24.99 - never got round to snagging any, but maybe I should - I suspect they may be nearer to $30 now). Also WH Franks has been selling the 01 and 02 Gloria for $26-28, which is also a steal for wines with a bit of age.
rjsussex

Post by rjsussex »

Thanks Chris and Ian

re Moulin de la Rose: it's a Clive Coates favourite owned by a cousin of the Delons of LasCases - what I heard that for the 06 they had a new consultant (Eric Boissonet?) and so the 06 was said to better than 05 - but I haven't had the 05!

R
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

The 02 Gloria has a decided radish element which I found interesting. I've had it twice; I doubt it is all that appealing right now but at least it's several years along the development curve.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Gloria 06 is $26.58 at the Wine Connection. Time to step up
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

And it was

Very young of course, mouth staining inky, and it has a touch of vanilla-toasty oak, but this is oh so delicious, oh so St-J, but not so dissimilar to the GPL. A steal at the price.

Footnote: Is 06 the real deal?
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

I just picked up a bottle of the '06 Gloria at Garnet. Minus the 10% sale discount, it was incredibly reasonable at $25.19. I will certainly try it soon.
-Chris
rjsussex

Post by rjsussex »

Great - really glad Ian and Chris found and liked the Gloria - yes, I think 06 is the deal for left-bank BWE drinkers if you can find good prices.

R