2019 Tour St. Christophe: A beautiful effort!

JimHow

2019 Tour St. Christophe: A beautiful effort!

Post by JimHow »

What a classy effort! It just seems like everything is in place with the 2019 Tour St. Christophe, beautiful elegance, it is one of those wines that will drink well now and for the next 20 years. My first encounter with this property was the 2014 vintage, followed by the 2015 and 2016. It was a stellar triumvirate of wines for Tour St. Christophe, each vintage capturing the unique traits of that great three year run in Bordeaux: 2014 crisp and classically styled, 2015 somewhat more fleshy and exuberant, and 2016 reflecting the structure, rich fruit, and ageability of that vintage, which I consider to be one of the greatest ever in Bordeaux. (I thought the 2015 was a little hot on release but a delicious recent bottle I had raised no concerns about the alcohol level. The 2016 was our "Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts" wine of the year in 2019.) I have not tried the '17 and '18 Tour St. Christophe but I have a case of this 2019. This 2019 may be their best effort yet. Beautifully ripe merlot with absolutely no sharp edges, great balance and elegance.

I met Howard Kwok and winemaker Jerome Aguirre at a wine class at Harvard a few years ago where they were presenting their wines, which also included Belfont Belcier and I believe Haut Brisson, which the Kwok family owned at the time. (I believe they have since sold Haut Brisson but are still managing the winemaking.). We hit it off immediately, they are both super friendly and VERY passionate about their wines. We were supposed to visit Tour St. Christophe and Belfont Belcier as part of our BWE trip to Bordeaux in spring 2020 but the pandemic hit a month too early. Maybe 2023?

The 2019 tannins are elegant, smooth, with blueberries and a lovely little spiciness that kicks in. Recently elevated to Grand Cru Classe status, a well deserved recognition of all of the hard work of Howard and his team. As has been the case year after year, it is rationally priced. Not sure how long that will last, so buy a case of the 2019 vintage now! It is a beautiful wine! Rating: 95+ points.
Attachments
IMG_1719.jpg
DavidG

Re: 2019 Tour St. Christophe: A beautiful effort!

Post by DavidG »

You were more enthusiastic than I was. I agree with your comments about fruit and structure. Not sure I would have picked it as Bordeaux in a blind tasting. Then again, I’m not good at these young, so I’ll hope you’re right and be comforted that I have laid some away.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes I thought of you as I was writing this David, we'll uncork a bottle in about five years and revisit it.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

DavidG wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:22 pm Not sure I would have picked it as Bordeaux in a blind tasting.
Is there any modern Saint Émilion that taste like Bordeaux anymore? Especially when young?
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Nicklasss wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:10 pm
DavidG wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:22 pm Not sure I would have picked it as Bordeaux in a blind tasting.
Is there any modern Saint Émilion that taste like Bordeaux anymore? Especially when young?
Touché!
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Niclasss and DavidG,

Do the following names ring the bell? Clos des Jacobins, Laroze, La Confession, Corbin, Grand Corbin Despagne, Corbin Michotte, Larmande, Sansonnet, Berliquet, etc.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Part of the problem may indeed be that my tendency is to try the bigger names, which may have gravitated to bigger more modern styles. I did try La Confession and Grand Corbin Despagne from 2009 and 2015 and found them modern, sweet and jammy. Maybe not the most representative years? Haven’t tried the others.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Nicklasss wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:10 pm
France: Temp Rises
France: Temp Rises
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Would be interesting to see average alcohol levels on that same plot.