2020 Domaine de la Cote Estate Pinot

Chateau Vin

2020 Domaine de la Cote Estate Pinot

Post by Chateau Vin »

I am yet to differ on jal’s recommended wines so far...

This is a dynamite wine like a cru level one or something, even though it is an estate pinot...

I know Blanquito remembers the bouquet of 2012 Momtazi, and this one is on par with that when it comes to bouquet...Blanquito will not be disappointed.

Ofcourse prof stefan and BD will love it as well as they are perennial Momtazi/St innocent fans...

Just opened it and didn’t decant but let it rest for half an hour or so... my olfactory senses got an explosion of raspberries, flowers and hint of anise on the nose. My palate was tingled with sweet cherries, pomegranate and strawberries laced with a nice balance of acid and freshness. Not to the extent of what Rhys can show regarding the freshness, but I am digging it as there is plenty to go with all around balance. In fact, I love it better than 16 and 17 Rhys Family Vineyard I had few months back...

I am holding 2020 Bloomsfield and 2020 Memorious, and now I have high hopes for those. And they better deliver based on the bar set by the Estate Pinot... :roll:
JimHow

Re: 2020 Domaine de la Cote Estate Pinot

Post by JimHow »

Interesting. Is that what they refer to as "2020 Domaine de la Côte Pinot Noir DDLC Estate?"
jal

Post by jal »

I'm very glad you like it, CV. Speaking of boycotting stuff in some other threads, I have a friend who boycotts Domaine de la Cote because she dislikes Raj Parr 🤦🏼‍♂️. Jeez, in the words of every millennial out there: I can't, I just can't..
:D
I think the wines are excellent. The Bloom's Field is my favorite, the others are not far behind at all
Best

Jacques
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

JimHow wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:37 am Interesting. Is that what they refer to as "2020 Domaine de la Côte Pinot Noir DDLC Estate?"
Yes..
jal

Post by jal »

Yes, Domaine de la Cote is a Santa Rita Hills estate just outside Lompoc in Santa Barbara County, Jim. DDLC is their estate wine, they also produce other Pinots in the same winery, the most famous is named Bloom's Field.
Best

Jacques
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes just looking it up, on Wine Searcher you have get a premium account to see all 11 places where it's in stock.
I wonder where I can get a couple bottles of the 2020 Bloom's Field.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

jal wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:39 am I'm so glad you like it, CV. Speaking of boycotting stuff in some other threads, I have a friend who boycotts Domaine de la Cote because she dislikes Raj Parr 🤦🏼‍♂️. Jeez, in the words of every millennial out there: I can't, I just can't..
I think the wines are excellent. The Bloom's Field is my favorite, the others are not far behind at all
Jal, I am curious to know why she dislikes Raj. I never met him and can’t comment how he carries himself.

Sure, Raj is part owner of DDLC, but correct me if I am wrong, isn’t Sashi Moorman (other partner), the main guy working the vineyard and is the winemaker??
jal

Post by jal »

You can contact the winery. (805) 695-4119 I dealt with Julia Wiggin once and Carrie Steinmeyer once. See if they have any and if they ship it to you
Best

Jacques
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ah ok let's check it out.
jal

Post by jal »

Chateau Vin wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:52 am
jal wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:39 am I'm so glad you like it, CV. Speaking of boycotting stuff in some other threads, I have a friend who boycotts Domaine de la Cote because she dislikes Raj Parr 🤦🏼‍♂️. Jeez, in the words of every millennial out there: I can't, I just can't..
Jal, I am curious to know why she dislikes Raj. I never met him and can’t comment how he carries himself.

Sure, Raj is part owner of DDLC, but correct me if I am wrong, isn’t Sashi Moorman (other partner), the main guy working the vineyard and is the winemaker??
I don't know CV, I never met him, I know he was a sommelier somewhere. My friend can hold a grudge lol.
Best

Jacques
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

jal wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:54 am You can contact the winery. (805) 695-4119 I dealt with Julia Wiggin once and Carrie Steinmeyer once. See if they have any and if they ship it to you
The tastings at DDLC are closed as I was told that they don’t have any wine to pour. But no harm in calling as they might have something to ship.

I joined their mailing list and that’s where I got them.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

jal wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:57 am
Chateau Vin wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:52 am

I don't know CV, I never met him, I know he was a sommelier somewhere. My friend can hold a grudge lol.
I actually met Rajat Parr when he was sommelier at Fifth Floor in San Francisco, I guess well before In Pursuit of Balance or Domaine de La Cote. It led to one of my more memorable wine experiences. I came away tremendously impressed.

I had a late flight home from San Francisco at the end of a business trip and last minute snagged an early table at Fifth Floor.

Not knowing much about Burgundy, and thinking one would make a good match for the duck I planned to order, I asked for the somm.

Raj introduced himself, asked a few questions and made some suggestions from the half-bottle list as I was dining alone. When I expressed interest in some of the full bottles, he offered to open just about anything on the list to serve by the glass at 1/6th of the menu price so I could try more than one.

I ordered a couple of glasses to try side by side, and remember really liking them though, in large part because of what followed, I couldn’t tell you today what they were.

To top it off, between the appetizer and the main, he introduced me to the couple at the next table. It was Martine Saunier and the Burgundy buyer from Southern Wine and Spirits at the time (Al Smith? Art Smith?). They had a bevy of bottles on the table and invited me to join them. Much merriment followed until I had to get a cab for the airport.

The food was outstanding, but the evening was made all the more memorable by Raj and my impromptu dinner companions.
jal

Post by jal »

Great story, David. Thanks for sharing
Best

Jacques
stefan

Post by stefan »

Jim, I have WineSearcherPro, but I get nothing for 2020 Domaine de la Côte Pinot Noir DDLC Estate.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

How about the Bloom’s Field, Bill?
I see a places in Texas and NY.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Yes, 2020 Bloom's Field is available in Texas for $120 and some places for $100, Jim. That is in the D. Drouhin Louise range.