Thanksgiving 2022, Day 3

stefan

Thanksgiving 2022, Day 3

Post by stefan »

Day 3

Another family came to stefanJr's and things were a bit hectic to do our usual on Friday; moreover, some people opted for non wine beverages. I opened

2020 Cristom Louise Vineyard. Bitter oak distracts from the black fruit. Good body--firm throughout the mouth--and no flaws, but I did not find this attractive for drinking now. Lucie liked it more. stefan 87(+?+)

The next wine presented some interest.

1990 Bel Air Larave (Moulis) Magnum. I took a flyer on this K&L wine a year or so ago. I regretted the purchase when I got mostly grass and some tobacco but little fruit. However, with two+ hours of air time, this Cru Bourgoise blossomed. It had some ash in the bouquet and singed blackberries and cherries in the mouth to mute the grass.

After dinner the boys of ages 10 - 477 adjourned to another room to play a couple of board games while the women did whatever. I was involved in a four person game that required a laptop, a board with mostly unintelligible (to me) words, and a tower with flashing lights. I think the goal is for the four players to kill the Bad Mutha before the BM and her minions kill the players. I mostly followed the game owner's suggestions and killed a few monsters and cleaned some buildings of skulls (which were dumped into the tower and later released back to the players' property). I guess we were not doing too well, as the game owner at some point said, "we lose". Apparently our 14 year old was not able to clean his two corruptions before the Bad Mutha gave him a third one, which meant we lost. This game is to D&D what chess is to tic-tac-toe.

While playing the game we drank

NV Clouet Grand Reserve.
I filled out a case Wednesday with a couple bottles of Clouet GR, which we have found to be a reliable mid level Champagne. I usually let them sit for a year, and certainly the current release will improve for at least a couple of years. Still, it is nice now even if a bit sharp. This year's offering is consistent with past bottlings.

2000 Latour Martillac. This Graves has an earthy nose and taste. I consider it over oaked. The wood gives a not nice bitterness to the otherwise tasty black grapes. It might have been better with elk or grass fed beef.