TN 2014 Lilian Ladouys; there's no there there

jal

TN 2014 Lilian Ladouys; there's no there there

Post by jal »

At a bistro in NYC off a wine list with exorbitant prices, the only semi-normal thing I could find for under $100 was the 2014 Lilian Ladouys.

I remember reading some positive reviews here but I'm sorry to say this does not deliver the goods. To go with this, the three of us ordered a roast chicken, a duck breast and a steak frites.

Dark purple color, subdued nose, on the palate the fruit is soft with resolved tannins, a hollow mid, no structure, depth or character to speak of. Short finish. Just a nice little quaffable wine that merits at most an 86. To compare apples and oranges, a 2016 Olga Raffault Chinon les Picasses drank last week ran rings around this poor St Estephe.

I am getting turned off completely by younger Bordeaux, this is just the latest example in long series of disappointing wines. I much prefer Northern Rhones, Chinon, simple Bourgogne, Chiantis and Langhe Nebbiolos to any of the late release Bordeaux wines I've drank.
Best

Jacques
DavidG

Re: TN 2014 Lilian Ladouys; there's no there there

Post by DavidG »

Lilian Ladouys is an ok/decent qpr and one I'd also order off a restaurant list to avoid overspending. It's never really excited me.

Glad to hear the 16 Picasses is already drinking well. I've had the 15 a couple of times and it's approachable with an hour of air. Haven't cracked a 16 yet.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Went thru a couple '16 Olga's ...not their strongest picasses by any measure, but a nice quaff regardless. Best qpr's are still in Loire.
AKR

Post by AKR »

There are a bunch of notes on this in this thread.

http://www.bordeauxwineenthusiasts.com/ ... uys#p62706

I found the fruit a bit wan when I had it some years ago.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I liked the 2016, the 2018 not so much.

On a separate note I had a 2016 Chasse Spleen the other night that was beautiful.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

JimHow wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:23 pm I liked the 2016, the 2018 not so much.

On a separate note I had a 2016 Chasse Spleen the other night that was beautiful.
I passed on 2014 and 2015 since there were just too many other qpr/cellar defenders to choose from. The 2016 I bought a couple of just to check out all the buzz but, while ok, was left wanting for more of something.

Nice to hear Jim of your experience with the 16' Chasse Spleen. I have a few bottles but was not anticipating trying it for at least a few more years. I just had my last 89' a few weeks ago on our anniversary and it was prime drinking.