Xmas 2022, Days 7 & 8

stefan

Xmas 2022, Days 7 & 8

Post by stefan »

Day 7

On Monday no chef felt like cooking. Lucie, having missed out on our previous outing, picked Bar Purlieu, and we were lucky to get a table for nine. Usually we eat family style there, but this time subgroups shared steak, lamb, or octopus for mains. We drank Eric Rodez Blanc de Blanc off the menu and all agreed that it was well within the quality range of the sparklers we had been drinking. I brought a 2016 Maillart Tolivettes (spelling approximate) that the octopus eaters liked, but I was not impressed and felt it was not worth its $75 price. The third wine was 2001 du Tertre. This bottle was every bit as good as the one we drank the previous week and it stood up well to the lamb. Bar Purlieu is excellent and has a great QPR, BTW.

Day 8.

The rest of the family came to our condo for Lucie's baked salmon after the 40 something kids finished one scenario in a role playing game--gloomhaven--that is designed to end just before or just after the universe ends. I participated for a while, but my character was killed in a suicide mission (my choice) before the the 40 somethings wiped out all the other monsters to complete the scenario. (Un)fortunately, my character resurrects for the next scenario.

2012 Cristom Mount Jefferson PN. "Delicious", says Judd, "I could drink many bottles of this". "Doesn't taste that old", adds stefanJr, and we both remark on the pure red pinot fruit. Irena oozes, "Too good". stefan 92. Irena 92. Judd 92. T 92. stefanJr 91. Lucie 92.

2008 Shea Vineyards Shea PN. "On the black side of the OR PN spectrum; the Cristom was much more red fruited", observes stefanJr. "Good nose and very full bodied", says Irena. I love the 2008 St Innocent Shea, but I don't love this Shea Shea. Maybe it is the acetone overtones. However, I do like the flavor and the spice in the back as well as the classic Shea taste in the finish. stefanJr 91. Irena 92. stefan 88. Lucie 93. Judd 90. T 90.

2006 St Innocent Anden Special Selection PN. This is very different from the preceding PNs. It has blacker fruit, asphalt, and even volcanic ash. There is some Asian-spiced fruit in the bouquet. "My favorite of the three", declares Judd, "spicier, and great by itself or with the salmon". Lucie disagrees, "too much for the salmon", while Irena says, "too much for me". stefan 94. Judd 93. Lucie 92. stefanJr 93. Irena 90. T 91.

I made the mistake of pouring 1999 Rayne-Vigneau before we had finished Lucie's floating island. This only medium sweet Sauternes was awful with the dessert. We'll revisit it tomorrow.