Happy Tenth Birthday to BWE!

JimHow

Happy Tenth Birthday to BWE!

Post by JimHow »

It was ten years ago this morning that Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts was created.

Friends have come and gone, the world has changed exponentially in the past decade, good and bad.

But Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts has trudged on!

It would be easy for me to say I am surprised we have lasted this long. But the fact of the matter is that we really did know, almost from the first or second day of our primordial existence back in February 2000, that we had created something special with a special group of people.

I honestly do not think it is being melodramatic to say that BWE has changed our lives for the better. It is hard to remember life without BWE! It is there every day. Lifelong friendships have been created on this site. I truly believe it is a place on the internet that is unique from anything else out there.

I could begin to try to list everyone personally-- Stefan, Nic, Werner, all the others who were there in the very earliest hours of BWE who still post here today-- but obviously I would not do justice to the dozens of participants here who have made our lives a little bit richer and just plain more fun. I will thank the original assistant managers-- JScott, CabFan, and Setab-- for helping the site become so successful so quickly in the earlier part of the decade. And the new managers, especially David and also Mike, Alex and Phil as well for setting up this great "newer and better" BWE site.

In the end, of course, this site would not have been possible without Ben "Whuzzup" Nelson, the first person I contacted after genesis at 10:56 a.m. on Saturday, February 26, 2000. Without his energy, generosity and goodwill, BWE would not exist today. It is Ben who came up with the idea of having annual "conventions", a tradition we will be continuing next month in Chicago, where the first convention was held in February 2001.

I could go on and on but I have a client coming in in a few minutes. Again, my heartfelt thank you to EVERYONE, past and present, who have posted here over the past ten years. Each of you knows who you are and each of you knows how much I have appreciated your invaluable contributions to this site. (And let's not forget the spouses, either!)

And now, it is on to the next ten years of success for BWE... and beyond!
Rick

Re: Happy Tenth Birthday to BWE!

Post by Rick »

Good job Jim
stefan

Post by stefan »

Happy Birthday, BWE. Come back, CabFan, JScott, Setab, and Whuzzup; we miss ya'll.

Thank you, Jim, David, Mike, Alex and Phil, for engineering and keeping going this great new site.

stefan, with a tear in his eye
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

When you think about it, this has been a pretty amazing ride. What began as a group of orphans from the old Wine Spectator site has evolved into a marauding band of Bordeaux lovers who travel around the country every year and leave their mark in some city.

Thanks, Jim, for all your efforts over the years. And to all the assistant managers who have contributed in a variety of ways. We should probably all lift our glasses to you in Chicago.

Jon
tim

Post by tim »

Happy Birthday! Congrats on making something that lasted!