We only live once, live a little, I say.... The 2019 Chateau Montrose has been uncorked....

jal

Re: We only live once, live a little, I say.... The 2019 Chateau Montrose has been uncorked....

Post by jal »

I just checked one of my two bottles. 2010 Montrose is at a hefty 14%. Yikes
Best

Jacques
Claudius2

Re: We only live once, live a little, I say.... The 2019 Chateau Montrose has been uncorked....

Post by Claudius2 »

Guys
Not had the Montrose unfortunately but so far I’ve tried at least 34 2019s covering many appellations and was uniformly surprised at how drinkable they have been.

Despite trying to convince myself that I have more than enough already, I bought more last week including Langoa Barton and La Lagune. The latter shows 14.5% ABV on the bottle though I don’t recall sensing hot alcohol or overripe characters when I tried it - I just hope it stays that way.

On the other hand, the 2016 St Emilions I’ve tried over the last year seem to be shut down and I have no intention of opening more for some time.

Cheers
Mark
marcs

Post by marcs »

Alcohol percentages on the bottles are tricky because they can round off. I like when critics give the percentage in the initial en primeur tasting because I think those are usually the exact lab number. That’s where the 13.7% and “all time high” claim for 2009 comes from, Parker’s en primeur tasting. He was usually pretty precise with that stuff
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I’m skeptical of ABV numbers, regardless of when reported. Barrel tastings during en primeur season aren’t necessarily the final blend. Laws vary and IIRC the numbers only have to be within 1% or 1.5%. I’m even even more skeptical of most people’s ability to identify ABV by taste.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Interesting observation David, are you saying that alcohol level is undetectable? It seems to me that when we drank that 2010 Troplong Mondot, 16%, we were identifying that it was a high alcohol wine. If not by taste, which sense are we utilizing? I agree we don’t “taste” alcohol. But do high alcohol wines sometimes taste “different,” and thus aren’t we “tasting” the alcohol level?
jckba

Post by jckba »

Great comment in response and if the alcohol is poking through like in a 16%+ CdP you most certainly can and do perceive it.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I am not saying it’s impossible to detect high vs. low alcohol. I am saying you can’t peg it to the nearest 0.5%. So yes, a 16.5% CdP or a 15% Bordeaux is usually easy to distinguish from a 12.5% Bordeaux. But if I lined up 5 Bordeaux at 12.5, 13, 13.5, 14, and 14.5%, I bet most people would have difficulty lining them up in order. Especially if they vary in fruit intensity or acid/tannins that may cover the alcohol to different degrees.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes I would agree with that. Often I can't detect the "alcohol factor" even at 15%. Sometimes I get alcohol early on and then it disappears or "smooths out." Three sips into this 2019 Montrose I thought I might have detected "an alcohol influence" but then it was not there and, to the contrary, the wine seemed beautifully balanced.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

Opened at a wine lunch today. Fantastic showing.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

An interesting wine lunch centered around the wines of Corton. Some great ones, some good ones and one or two lesser ones. They do need a lot of time, the 1988 Prince de Merode Clos de Roi was easily my favorite.

I decanted the Montrose 2019 a couple of hours before. Tasted a small amount and immediately fell in love. This was large scaled, complex, and already showing spice mingled with massive amounts of cassis. It wore its mantle of 14.5% alcohol easily, something I personally don’t find often at that level. The finish was long and layered. I have no doubt it will go through a dumb stage, but now it is beautiful. 98++
PghMike

Post by PghMike »

Had a bottle of the 19 Montrose with friends last night. Opened about 3 hours in advance but only splash decanted. First sip was excellent but didn't blow me away. By the last glass I was ready to try to find a case. Quite a bit of evolution over a short time (about an hour) in the decanter and in glass, perhaps more progression in glass than anything else I've experienced. As Jim noted no heat at 14.5 percent.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Well done, men, I've got 12 bottles and I'm not sure I'm done buying, we'll take a look at the lay of the land when I get back from London.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Can’t wait to try this in London!
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

I'm excited to try this and the Lynch as well. I just put in an order for a case more of each. Hopefully it will get confirmed this week.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I see the 2019 Lynch is going for $135 at Millesima in Manhattan, was thinking of buying some but I'll hold off until after London.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

I look forward to the 2019 tasting. I am planning one myself to see what I spent so much money on.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

Could not resist: just bought some magnums of 2016. Slated for my unborn grandson’s rehearsal dinner.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Well done, Musigny151. Very well done indeed.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

This is a perfect example of arbitrage for me. I was thinking about the Latour 2015 at around $650, a good price for the Latour when I saw an offer of 3 magnums of Montrose 2016. This is a great, possibly legendary Montrose; the exchange rate is 2 magnums of Montrose for one bottle of Latour. Montrose every time.