Certan de May 1979

Musigny 151

Certan de May 1979

Post by Musigny 151 »

1979 was a strong vintage for Pomerol. Although I have had little luck with Petrus, which always seemed slightly insipid, Trotanoy, VCC and Lafleur are very good ( I have had a couple of pruney Lafleurs).

I had thought I had finished my last bottle of the Certan several years ago, so happy to find a stray in the cellar tucked behind a young Mount Eden reserve Chardonnay

The nose at first was tight. Red fruits, some iron notes, spice. The wine unfurled within half an hour, and in addition to the fruit and the spices, there was a complex palate that had anise and a wild strawberry center. Great, length and multi layered finish. A beautiful complex old fashioned claret 94/95
Comte Flaneur

Re: Certan de May 1979

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Musigny 151 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:28 am 1979 was a strong vintage for Pomerol. Although I have had little luck with Petrus, which always seemed slightly insipid, Trotanoy, VCC and Lafleur are very good ( I have had a couple of pruney Lafleurs).

I had thought I had finished my last bottle of the Certan several years ago, so happy to find a stray in the cellar tucked behind a young Mount Eden reserve Chardonnay

The nose at first was tight. Red fruits, some iron notes, spice. The wine unfurled within half an hour, and in addition to the fruit and the spices, there was a complex palate that had anise and a wild strawberry center. Great, length and multi layered finish. A beautiful complex old fashioned claret 94/95
A really strong period for this estate from the late 70s to the mid-late 80s, and I also drank through cases of the 1998 and 2001 (one left) with great pleasure… but seems to have lost its way more recently?
Last edited by Comte Flaneur on Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

We had a delicious ‘82 at Tommy and Gail’s house in the Beltway back on the night of the infamous 89 Lynch/88 VCC ruse.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Always loved the 82 CdM.