Pulled Pork and a few wines.

William P

Pulled Pork and a few wines.

Post by William P »

Arv and Jenn came over last night for some wine and food. I did a 15 hour smoke on an 8 pound pork shoulder. I used pecan and some apple wood for smoke. It turned out well.

Arv brought a 1991 Ch. Musar and 2001Max-Ferd Richter Graacher Himmelreich Spatlese. The spat was light, flavorful with a mineral backbone. It was amazing how fresh it was for a nine year old white. No signs of aging.

This was the first Musar I have had. It appears to be developing nicely. It shows little signs that its 19 years old. I liked its fresh vibrant acidity and medium body. A real eye opener.

After the Musar we popped a 2007 Ridge Geyserville. I am happy to report the 07 is a wonderful wine with a rich but elegant nature. This is the best vintage of Geyserville in a number of years.

All is well with Arv and Jenn.
Houndsong

Re: Pulled Pork and a few wines.

Post by Houndsong »

I not had the grand vin but I've had the other wine of Musar which is a sort of Rhonish sweet but claret weight wine that is easy drinking and quite good. I think it's a blend with quite a bit of Carignan in it. Got it off the list at a Lebanese restaurant in SLC called Mazza, I think. Not surprisingly it when well with the cuisine.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Did you try to pull Arv back to BWE, Bill?
William P

Post by William P »

Stefan, I think he is occupied with other issues, new(ish) job, being a husband and a pending father and being in his home town, relatives. I suspect he will return when the dust settles. It not like he's on another site, he's busy.
jal

Post by jal »

I miss Arv and Jenn. I can still remember the first time I met Arvind, JimHow and Ben Nelson. Arv brought a 1985 Haut Marbuzet, I brought a 1993 Musar, Jim brought a 1997 Mouton and Ben obviously schlepped some Burgundy to this hole in the wall place on 55th street.
Best

Jacques
Rick

Post by Rick »

Arv is a great guy
remember when i had my apartment in NYC in 2001 he and two friends came over we all brought some easy to deal with food and put 4 bottles of bordeaux on the table. We sat down and did not get up till all the food and wine were gone

I think that was my first off-line of this type

Good evening

rick
Claret

Post by Claret »

Bill, I enjoy pulled pork and regret that I did not get around to smoking one up last year. Zin and Petite Sirah are fine matches.

Ridge 2006 Lytton Springs drunk Saturday before The Wailers concert reinforces my opinion that Ridge is my favorite Zinfandel producer.

Glenn
Glenn