Sometimes I think it's a sin, when I feel like I'm winning, when I'm losing again....

JimHow

Sometimes I think it's a sin, when I feel like I'm winning, when I'm losing again....

Post by JimHow »

Decided to uncork a 2015 Chateau Corbin on this dreary, rainy, chilly night in Lewiston, Maine....
It's been a rotten, wet spring, but better days are ahead.
Was thinking of taking a sip of a 2000 Inniskillin, the only thing Canadian I think in my household, Nicola left it with me many years back, I think I'll probably hold off til the Canadians themselves come down someday....
Attachments
IMG_2154.jpg
JimHow

Re: Sometimes I think it's a sin, when I feel like I'm winning, when I'm losing again....

Post by JimHow »

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Boy, I gotta say, Ian/Patrick, I'm more in the camp of GBF/Leve on this 2015 Corbin.
I'm finding this a lovely St. Emilion, consistent with past experiences of the 2015/16 that caused me to buy a case and a half each.
I'm just a few sips in so we'll see how it continues to unfurl with a sirloin tonight but I'm finding this a lovely, medium bodied Merlot. Classy St. Emilion.
JimHow

Re: Sometimes I think it's a sin, when I feel like I'm winning, when I'm losing again....

Post by JimHow »

And the house you live in will never fall down
If you pity the stranger who stands at your gate

Boy, Gerry, a lot to feel pity for the last two nights at the Garden, but I think the word "pitiful" is more apropos, the Bruins a collapse of historic proportions, and that other fraud of a front running Celtics team not far behind, I'm afraid, no matter how hard I try to wrap my arms around these cupcakes in the end I'm starting to find them somewhat repelling with their little prima donna routine. But... I'm sure I'll be back on the bandwagon if they win the next couple games....

The 2015 Corbin now in full form with the lightly seasoned strip sirloin. Ruby colored, this is modest, classy feminine beauty, like its steward. I had the thrill of meeting Annabelle Cruse Bardinet in NYC back in 2004, and then again when BWE visited in 2015: "Oh, do you know Mark Golodetz?" when Timmy pulled out pictures from the 2004 NYC dinner. Until Golodetz was factored into the equation she had no idea who the hell we were.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-vNxa9jP_8
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours...

The 2015 Chateau Corbin leaps out with a beautiful floral bouquet, summer flowers, not a "fills-the-room" bouquet, rather, like everything else about this wine, it is elegant, classy, reserved. On the palate it is medium bodied, playful, summer-like, a midsummer night's dream, proud to be 90% merlot. To me it is drinking beautifully now but I don't see any harm coming to it for another 15 years. Absolutely delicious with a lightly seasoned sirloin steak tonight, the 14.5% alcohol level seems to be of absolutely no consequence. Plums and licorice. A lovely La-Dominique-like effort. I've been a fan of this estate for two decades, to me, like Tour St. Christophe, it is reaching higher right bank heights. we met Annabelle Cruse Bardinet I NYC in 2004, and then again in 2015 when we visited Chateau Corbin. She is a great emissary of Bordeaux, the greatest wine region in the world. This wine is VERY reasonably priced, especially when you factor in the quality. I may ever so slightly prefer the 2016 Corbin, but that should not be interpreted as an insult, as that vintage was a crescendo for numerous estates that have been rising in the hierarchy over the past 20 years. By all accounts, the more recent vintages of Corbin have reached even greater levels. As for this 2015 Chateau Corbin, I rate it a solid 92 points. Elegant but fresh, classy, feminine, a Merlot beauty. This should not be a surprise, given its geographical location near some very renowned properties in Pomerol and St. Emilion. Two enthusiastic thumbs up to this very nice effort from Annabelle Cruse Bardinet and her team!

JimHow
www.bordeauxwineenthusiasts.com
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I have tried old ice wines a few time, but never thought it was a good thing for that type of wine.

Yes, Bruins elimination was highly unexpected, and for hockey, it is a bad thing. Unusual things happen more and more. Like Jim Morrison said ´´Stange days have found us’´. Strange days = Trump election, wine buying freeze, or people thinking Lynch Bages is a Second Growth… oh well, I guess it will bounce back to normality one day soon…
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes, Nicola, it was a tough Bruins loss, but they were not as good as their record.

Ah well, it used it take me three days to get past these crushing New England sports defeats, now I'm over it within 24 hours. I have to watch my movies these days in 20 minute increments (at most), things go too fast...

On to the next heartbreak that life has to offer....

Anyway... It's good to be here. Good to be anywhere, especially sipping a nice sultry wine from the appellation of St. Emilion.

And....

Goodnight, Gordon. You brought a brief light to an often opaque planet, and a soundtrack of our lives. Farewell!
PghMike

Post by PghMike »

I've loved Edmund Fitzgerald from a very young age. Never tire of listening to it.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

RIP Gordon Lightfoot but don't forget his stellar band Red Shea, Rick Haynes, Terry Clements et. al. A favorite artist of mine.
AKR

Post by AKR »

PghMike wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:44 am I've loved Edmund Fitzgerald from a very young age. Never tire of listening to it.
Has there ever been any resolution to the cause of the loss?
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

The best I have read is that they believe it was lifted up on two large waves on either end, and it basically broke apart in the middle.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

RIP Gordon Lightfoot. I enjoyed his music.

We had a med school housemate named Ed FitzGibbon who played piano. The 4 or 5 of us would do sing-alongs and The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald was a favorite, especially after successful parties. Of course we re-christened it The Wreck of the Edmund FitzGibbon.