1998 Chateau Figeac

Comte Flaneur

1998 Chateau Figeac

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I had the chance to spend an evening with this wine tonight. And what a pleasure it was. I had it standing up for a few days and double decanted it.

Bottle five from a case which has been resting in storage for at least 15 years.

It has evolved glacially, is still on the upslope, and is a multi-decade wine and still on a slow evolutionary track.

Black olives, hedgerow, dark fruits, herbs, sea smoke, shaved dark (Bournville) chocolate, tobacco notes, featuring cigar wrapper, a relatively shy wine, but intricately woven, it builds and builds.

Still enigmatic, with equanimity and precision - this is a wine which will unfurl and unfurl its magical wares.

I suspect anyone young enough to drink a good bottle of this in 30 years time will be in for a veritable treat.

I am hosting a dinner next week for a significant event where this wine will feature in the first flight of right banks versus 99 Cheval Blanc and 14 VCC- I suspect it may become submerged in the melee - there are subsequent flights of Graves/Pessac, Margaux, St-J and Pauillac - but I was happy - actually thrilled - with this 98 Figeac; it opened its heart to me tonight but has so much more to give in the next two or three decades. In that sense a vin de garde.

Pictured with some enduring right bank ghosts, blurred into immortality, in the background:

0E072FFB-BD2E-49D1-AF40-0925A62C5001.jpeg
Last edited by Comte Flaneur on Thu May 11, 2023 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nicklasss

Re: 1998 Chateau Figeac

Post by Nicklasss »

Very nice Comte.

1998 vintage and Figeac can just be a great match! Nice report and i said it many times, while i still prefer left bank red wines, right bank red with more cabernet are among my favorites (Figeac, Vieux Château Certan, Cheval Blanc). Seem to me they have an extra complexity.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

Not surprised by the showing. It is a wonderful wine, and for my palate their finest in 50 years.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yeah, I can’t even remember who brought it to, where, Denver?, Stuart I’m assuming, but I believe the 1998 Figeac was my wine of the night among some pretty epic contestants, including other epic Figeacs.
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Ian,

Excellent wine for sure!

My TNs on this wine:

"Tasted in March 2017. This vintage at Figeac has a great reputation among wine-freaks and it was confirmed with aplomb when tasted. Sensual, classy, fruity and aromatic nose of cherries and raspberries, and similarly sensual on the palate, long, deep, and sophisticated. A wine Figeac can be very proud of. 95p."

It seems it got additionally more nuances through the years.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

greatbxfreak wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 7:33 am Ian,

Excellent wine for sure!

My TNs on this wine:

"Tasted in March 2017. This vintage at Figeac has a great reputation among wine-freaks and it was confirmed with aplomb when tasted. Sensual, classy, fruity and aromatic nose of cherries and raspberries, and similarly sensual on the palate, long, deep, and sophisticated. A wine Figeac can be very proud of. 95p."

It seems it got additionally more nuances through the years.
Yes indeed Izak. If I scored it I would also give it 95, but I think it might gain one point with each passing decade…
AKR

Post by AKR »

very nice picture