TN: 00 Destieux [St Emilion]

AKR

TN: 00 Destieux [St Emilion]

Post by AKR »

00 Destieux [St Emilion] 13% abv, popped and poured over two nights, with sushi and pizza. Purchased EP and the first time I can recall trying this estate. Very long cork, about 1/4 " longer than normal peers. Has a brown bottle (which I irrationally love) and a pretty label which looks very similar to the sort of new Haut Brion negociant Clarendelle label. Lots of chocolate and plums on the nose, also some fennel. No bricking at the edges, and a dark plummy color. Lots of sediment in the bottle. Full bodied. Oak is all soaked up, and its light on the acidity -- it drinks well even without food. Still a tiny smidge of tannin left despite the years, so amazingly, I wouldn't worry about consuming in a hurry. The fruit is rich, and deep. This is such a different animal than stern, lean 00 Sociando we had last weekend. (Although the wife liked that better and drank lots of that; only sampling a small glass of this one). If you like modern, lush St Emilions this is a good example. It seems to have been upgraded I think in the new St Em classifications. It's an A- for my tastes, but even for those who prefer traditional right banks, I think they'd enjoy this, maybe notching it one lower. They don't make much of this - I rarely see it around.

http://systoweb9.systonic.fr/l_sits/cha ... t-emilion/
AKR

Re: TN: 00 Destieux [St Emilion]

Post by AKR »

Pretty label
Pretty label
I pulled another bottle of the 2000 Destieux [St Emilion] from storage and had it last night with burgers, oven fries, grilled zuch, and giardinera (pickled vegetables). In the half dozen years since I last recall tasting it, it seems to be holding at about the same level, although it is less fruity than I remember. The color looks good though, and it's not fading after a day open, so there is no rush on these. I don't think I have any more though. It's not super aromatic, just a tight bit of earth, celery, rhubarb then plums on the palate. But such a lush fleshy wine. I was thinking to myself last night that St Emilion may have now have tied Pomerol as my favorite AOC. This didn't need any decanting, and over time there are some chocolate/coffee/mocha/nut aromas that develop in glass; it's something I associate with great vintages when the merlot ends up ripe and balanced. Curiously, I tried this out of 3 different sizes of traditional Bordeaux glasses (approximately 26 oz*, 19 oz, 11 oz) and liked it the best out of the smallest. I find when I'm puttering about the kitchen - my prime consumption time - that compact shapes use up less of the precious counterspace and are easier to move from workspace to workspace. I'm still marking this as an A-, but it's hanging on to that by its fingernails. It's the style of wine that does well in blind panels, but it would not freak the AFWE out, since the decades of time have lent some harmony.

* pictured in a ~ 26oz SZ that WilliamP brought us for a housewarming gift. I can't believe these are not all broken given how much they are used!
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Thank you for the nice report Arv.

Funny, we opened a 2005 Château Destieux last night, and it was very similar to your 2000 in termes of color, aromas and flavors. Some milk chocolate, light coffee, plums and concentrated blackberries on the nose. Light black licorice too. In mouth, modern wine making, but i guess the good amount of cabernets (franc and sauvignon) in the blend makes it more interesting than if it was only merlot. Concentrated flavors of blackberries, merlot berries, with seductive exotic oak, pure vanilla, and a strong earthy and black plums final. Tannins very ripe, decent lenght, acidity on the low side, but nice drink. I would summarize by saying it is a modern Saint Émilion, but made to satisfy a large range of consummers. Everybody will find something nice in that wine. Tn : 92.

For the Champagne bottles, all good with a preference for the Egly-Ouriet. Yes i know, lot of Champagne for one night, but we were with another couple (Alex Harvey and Mélissa. Alex chat a bit with dstgolf/Danielle and Jim at our wedding). And it is almost the only type of wine that our wifes glump in masses...
Attachments
A nice modern made Saint Émilion
A nice modern made Saint Émilion
AKR

Post by AKR »

I had not realized there was CS in the Destieux, which is kind of unusual in St Emilion, ex maybe Figeac or something like that.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

According to Parker, the 2005 is 66 merlot, rest split equally between both cabernet (franc and sauvignon).
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I was enjoying your note, Nicola, until I read "acidity on the low side."
I've been shocked by the lack of acidity, the downright flabbiness, I have seen from 2005, on both banks, but especially the right.
I'm stunned by the lack of acidity I'm seeing from 2005.