Summer Walkabout

barsacpinci

Summer Walkabout

Post by barsacpinci »

We had our wine tasting group over for a casual summer walk about tasting featuring my favorite three types of wine (Riesling, Chardonnay, and Bordeaux blends). Some very brief notes

Of course, we started early with some Champagne by the pool
NV Andre Clouet 1911
2004 Pommery Cuve Louise
2012 Soutiran Brut Millesime
The Clouet was quite tasty compared to the other two which were fine but nothing too memorable.

The Riesling table had some nice wines served with Sushi:
2001 JJ Christoffel Erben Erdener Treppchen Auslese
2016 Schafer Frohlich Bockenauer Felseneck
2016 Rebholtz Kastanienbusch
2017 ZH Clos St Urbain
1975 Dr. H. Thanisch Bernasteler Doctor Auslese
The Schafer was showing quite well. Tons of fruit. An elegant wine. The ZH was way too young but will be amazing in several years time. The '75 Thanisch showed it’s age well with peaches and honey as did the 2001 Christoffel. I was a bit disappointed in the Rebholtz, normally one of my favorites but it just wasn’t hitting the mark.

The Chardonnay table was a little bit of a let down, although the food was great (MD crab balls, carrot tartines, ham biscuits, and smoked salmon cuke bites).
2013 Philippe Colin Chevalier Montrachet
2010 Fevre Clos
2018 Arterberry Maresh Vineyard
2018 Wayfarer Vineyard
The two Burgundies were fine wines, but very closed and difficult to coax something more thrilling. The Arterberry was just the opposite, a bit too forward and a lot of fruit but kind of off balance and harsh for me. The Wayfarer was the winner for me with stone fruit, lime, and a long finish.

The Bordeaux blends were all superb. Very hard to pick a favorite from this bunch and the lamb chops and steak bites paired well.
1982 La Tour Haut Brion
1989 Clinet
1997 Insignia
2000 Harlan
2010 Bryant Family
The La Tour Haut Brion was beautiful with tons of tertiary flavors - leather, moss, pencil lead, black berries. The Clinet was highly perfumed with dark fruit and particularly fragrant bouquet. The Bryant was a totally different beast but so well integrated between the very dark plum fruit and the nice touch of oak. I had a hard time deciding between these three. I’ve opened the Insignia before and loved it for the well balanced showing of California fruit. While still wonderful, it was hard pressed to shine above the first three. Surprising the Harlan, while punching strong just wasn’t quite as elegant the prior wines.

And we finished with two dessert wines to end the evening with apple pie, cookies, and blueberry ice cream!
2001 La Tour Blanche
1976 Hugel Gewuztraminer VT
Both of these producers need more attention. They make wonderful wines.

And with thirteen of us, not much wine left to sample the next day!
Brian Pinci
AKR

Re: Summer Walkabout

Post by AKR »

Do you hire help for these kinds of parties?
barsacpinci

Post by barsacpinci »

AKR wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:37 pm Do you hire help for these kinds of parties?
LOL. No, I’m retired so I have lots of time to prepare. And I enjoy doing it.
Brian Pinci
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Thanks for your impromptu impressions Brian.

Some of the cognoscenti this side of the pond rank 1982 LTHB as good as LMHB and Haut Brion from the same vintage.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Comte Flaneur wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:47 pm Some of the cognoscenti this side of the pond rank 1982 LTHB as good as LMHB and Haut Brion from the same vintage.
I guess that makes sense considering the estate was eventually merged into LMHB