TN: Ch. Leoville Lascases 2002

Comte Flaneur

TN: Ch. Leoville Lascases 2002

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Decanted for about two hours it started to come out of its shell and strut its stuff, somewhat shyly, after three. Garnet/maroon, with no sign of aging at the rim, this has a cool, classy, grassy attack - restrained with notes first of lead pencil, then menthol reinforcing the cool freshness. It is a very alluring trait and with time there is plenty of classy berry fruit, minerals, smoke and cigar box. Raw, rasping tannins are to the fore, but this medium-bodied wine has a classy texture and absolutely no flab. On the palate it has a long, cool and classy finish. An immensely satisfying wine, if still a little young.

With this wine Leoville-Lascases remains true to itself with no concession to modern fads. It is one of the four best 2002s I have tried - the others are its St-J stable mates Leoville-Barton and Lagrange and Mouton. I couldn't say which is the best without comparing them side-by-side. The Mouton was much thicker, and it came in a ridiculously over-sized, heavy and wine fridge unfriendly bottle. Same with Ducru 2003. Such a pain in the behind. The LLC 02 bottle is reassuring light and normal. The words/phrases - 'bargain' and 'super second' are unlikely bedfellows, but at under $100 this LLC 02 was somewhat of a bargain. It's going to be a terrific bottle of Lascases from 2015 onwards.
Ramon_NYC

Re: TN: Ch. Leoville Lascases 2002

Post by Ramon_NYC »

I've been seeing quite a few positive TNs on the 2002s. I'm just glad as it is my kind of vintage.

Thanks for the note on the LLC., Ian. I have no intention whatsoever of having a bottle pulled from my offsite any time soon, but I’m glad to see from your post that the wine is keeping nicely.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I've never had the '02 LLC but it doesn't surprise me that it performed well. The left bank performed well that year and it especially seemed to hit a sweet spot in the vicinity of the Leovilles.
William P

Post by William P »

Thanks for taking one for the team. I think have but one bury somewhere. As I recall the price was very reasonable upon release.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Wine searcher says Calvert Woodley has it for $99, more than what Ian paid i'm sure, but it might be worth buying a couple bottles. Does anyone know about Calvert's shipping policies?
stefan

Post by stefan »

Are any of the '02 Grand Cru Classe wines mature?

stefan
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

The Wine Connection in Pound Ridge has the 2001 and 2002 LLCs at $995 each. Thats $83 a bottle, which is quite reasonable given the quality.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

thanks for the lead, Comte, I just may explore that.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I would be interested in doing a consortium if you are interested Jim, or anyone else...I would like some of each but not a whole case of each
JonB

Post by JonB »

An interesting sale....looks like more of the Bordeaux distributor shakeout. That's the lowest prices I've seen on '04 Pavie (even en primeur), as well as '04 Valandraud. Has anybody tried the '06 Grand Puy Lacoste ($37)?
JonB

Post by JonB »

Has anybody tried the '06 Grand Puy Lacoste ($37)?
After looking, I see there's several stores locally selling for this price, and it appears the initial futures sales were around $75 as some stores have that as their price. However, the profession reviews are across the board quite positive....hmm, do I really need more young wine?
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

Consortium is doable. I will trade some of Jim's 2002 Haut Bailly or 2004 Branaire for a couple-three bottles. Or pay cash, whatever.
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Comte Flaneur wrote:I would be interested in doing a consortium if you are interested Jim, or anyone else...I would like some of each but not a whole case of each
I'll partake in a consortium. i already a few of these in offsite , but can manage to squeeze in a couple of each in my home wine fridge, as I want to sample ITNOS.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I might be interested in a couple bottles of the 2002....
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

JonB wrote:Has anybody tried the '06 Grand Puy Lacoste ($37)?
Jon,

My TN on a 2006 Horizontal that I was in last December.

2006 Ch. Grand-Puy-Lacoste, Pauillac
Slightly floral with something pungent in the nose. Vegetal notes that I can’t get over. Not impressed with the balance. B-
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I had a better experience than Ramon with O6 GPL, in fact i really liked it, maybe some bottle variation. I bought mine from the WineConn

So if we have a consortium I ideally would like:

3 x LLC 02 and 4 X LLC 01

How much does everyone else want?

Btw my take - LLC is borderline first growth and if any other first growth was being offered at $83 a bottle we would all be committing heinous crimes to lay our grubby mitts on a few
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Comte Flaneur wrote: How much does everyone else want?

Btw my take - LLC is borderline first growth and if any other first growth was being offered at $83 a bottle we would all be committing heinous crimes to lay our grubby mitts on a few
I'd like to be the hardened criminal on this one .... but can't afford to be one these days. I'll take 2 bottles of each vintage.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I was gonna say, I thought Comte liked the '06 GPL more, then again I believe that was your first wine back from your fast, Comte.

I don't drink wine anymore so I wouldn't be interested in more than a couple bottles. I'm fine if you guys go it without me....
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

I'll definitely take 2 2002 Ian. I'll have my mule fly in the cash, and he can return with the goods. His name is Blanquito. He's made the run many times.

You may find this amusing, I did anyway. I joked about trading for Jim's Haut Bailly but then I thought it's not a bad idea. I ony want the two because I don't have any LLC and am curious. So I thought, I have some 2002 Lafite, maybe a ratio trade is not out of order, recalling that I paid $109 or $119 a bottle. So I just now checked winesearcher. $600. WTF?! The amusing part is that neighbors whom we like and are friendly with but are basically only a couple of dinners in four years past casual acquaintances got married last summer. Second marriage and all, invited to the ceremony and reception, failed to notice the invite stipulated no gifts. They like nice wine so I gave them a bottle of the Lafite in a nice little case as a token. Easy come easy go I guess.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Im gonna come out there and visit you and blanquito sometime in the next calendar year, Hound, and will try some '02 Haut Bailley and Branaire Ducru....
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

When I got home from BWE Convention '05 (visit to the promised land), the 2002 Leoville-Las-Cases was the only wine on my "must buy at any price" list...thankfully, it wasn't priced at the "at any price" level!

Hound,

If you start marking your inventory to market, you'll never drink anything great that finds its way into your cellar. I'm more comfortable with the idea that '82 Mouton cost $40, or that '89 Haut Brion was $60....
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Ramon_NYC wrote:
Comte Flaneur wrote: How much does everyone else want?

I'd like to be the hardened criminal on this one .... but can't afford to be one these days. I'll take 2 bottles of each vintage.
Ian,

I'm changing my share. I'm going for 3 bottles each of the 01 and the 02. Thanks.

Ramon
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

JimHow wrote:I was gonna say, I thought Comte liked the '06 GPL more, then again I believe that was your first wine back from your fast, Comte.

I don't drink wine anymore so I wouldn't be interested in more than a couple bottles. I'm fine if you guys go it without me....
The BD: "I don't drink wine anymore" - say it ain't so. It can't be true. That's like Kim Jung Il giving up Swedish hookers...I tell you after 22 days on the wagon, that GPL 06 was like manna from heaven

So I am going to order these wines today:

We have so far

Ramon: 3 x 01, 3 x 02
Jim: 2 x 02
Hound 2 x 02
Comte 4 x 01 3 x 02

That leaves 5 x 01 and 2 x 02 left for anyone else who is interested. The wines are $995 per case or $83 a bottle. Market on both is $120 and upwards
Last edited by Comte Flaneur on Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Thanks Comte.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Ian, I'll take the other 2 '02s. Just tell me where to send the check. Might be a while before I get to NYC again, but it'll happen. Email here is dbg at comcast dot net.
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Looks like there's not as much love for the '01s, as there are for the '02s. My '01 share of the buy is actually for somebody else, whom I got to join in when I told him about the price.
Does anybody have a recent '01 experience to share?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I had the '01 from half bottle when it was young, Ramon, it seemed to be the real deal, if perhaps a bit softer after the son took over from the more classic style of the father.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Yes apparently it is the real deal, very much cut from the same cloth as the 2002
JonB

Post by JonB »

Thanks for the feedback on the '06 GPL, Ramon and Ian. I decided to keep the money in my bank, not the cellar.....so my bank can lend the money to a hungry sommelier to start a new winery in Walla Walla.
Last edited by JonB on Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

If you still need another participant, put me down for 2 Leovilles Las Cases 2002 at that price, Ian.
Cheers,
Patrick
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Everyone wants the LLC '02! You better grab that stuff before somebody else does, if you haven't already.
Must be amazing.
-Chris
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

The 02 looks oversubscribed. Is there a greenshoe option with this offering?
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Thanks Jim and Ian for the comment on the '01. I already have a couple in my cellar ... bought years ago at a price higher than the offer today (darn!).
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Gentlemen, we have lift off! The order has been confirmed

I think right now we have 14 bids for 12 2002s. The fairest and time honored way to do it is first-come-first served, unless anyone wants to concede to Patrick

Ramon x3
Ian x 3
Hound X 2
Jim x 2
David x 2
...makes 12...
Blanquito x 2
...makes 14...

Ramon x 3
Ian x 4
...makes 7...

So we have 5 bottles of 2001 left over, and this is a terrific wine as well - if no-one wants them, then as the under-writer I guess I am stuck with them - I will bury them somewhere

Relating to the other thread on prices these prices are very keen and as Ramon suggested lower than the release price for the 01. The other observation is that since 2000 LLC has been on fire. I had the 2004 about 18 months ago and it was also cut from the same cloth as the 2002.
rjsussex

Post by rjsussex »

oh the days when i could afford Lascases every vintage...

Richard (£30 max) J
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Richard - if you want an 01 they are 55 pounds each - am coming over in April

Maybe we do what Ramon suggested: an off vintages off line maybe late April or May, so I can bring the bottles in. Patrick 'the mule" when are you next in town?
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

I'm amenable to taking one 01 and one 02 if that helps. I won't be able to tell the difference I'm sure.