2020 Pontet Canet and 2019 d'Armailhac at RED Steakhouse here in Cleveland.

JimHow

2020 Pontet Canet and 2019 d'Armailhac at RED Steakhouse here in Cleveland.

Post by JimHow »

In town to visit my old college friend Dave who is a corporate mucky muck here in Cleveland, has season tickets to the Cavs, we're going to watch my snowflake Celtics play them tonight at the Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse. Last night we had some steaks and the wine list was nice, including a $130(!) bottle of 2020 Pontet Canet. This wine was absolutely gorgeous, a real revelation, it obviously was mispriced, I convinced Dave to buy the remaining bottle they had in the cellar. It was so smoothly drinking right now, very velvety tannins, it was absolutely gorgeous with the steaks, and it will undoubtedly age gracefully for the next 20+ years. Easily 97 points. Likewise, the 2019 d'Armailhac was just so festively enjoyable with the meal, consistent with the two times I've had it from my cellar, we were in Pauillac and midwest steak heaven! 95 points.
marcs

Re: 2020 Pontet Canet and 2019 d'Armailhac at RED Steakhouse here in Cleveland.

Post by marcs »

I’m jealous, I’m a Cavs fan and would LOVE to be at that game live. It doesn’t seem fair that a Celtics fan would be allowed in the stadium tonight. Oh well.

Cleveland is a stealth good food town, there’s nothing else to do there during the winter except eat and watch the Cavs.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ha that’s exactly what I told him, I didn’t want to take a ticket away from a Cavs fan five rows off the floor, the only condition was that I can’t wear Celtics gear. Gorgeous view from my window here at the downtown Hilton overlooking the lake and Cleveland Browns Stadium and the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

A day in Cleveland.
Attachments
IMG_1032.jpeg
IMG_1082.jpeg
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Has Pontet Canet changed its style?
The 2020 was a real revelation, it wasn't big and bad, it was more light on its feet and well defined I thought.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Jim
I have not tried the 2020 PC though I did try many other wines from that vintage over the last year or so. They were so good I busted my promise not to buy any more en primeur stock.

The initial impressions of 2020 can be a little misleading. They are very fruity and balanced thus quite easy to sip when young but my view is that the fruit tends to hide the structure of the wines. I have little doubt they will age well and will be very well regarded. At Union tastings the makers and agents were unanimous that they have the ability to age very well- maybe a modern 1982?

2019 was also a fine vintage yet I’d say it is more classical in style and the wines seemed to shut down after a few years thus are best forgotten about for some years. I have high expectations for both.

I did buy a case of the 2019 PC retail at around USD85 which for some reason was way below the normal price. Wine is typically a lot more expensive here.

The 2019 PC is very good though maybe the style of this wine has become more fruit forward over the years. I still have a bottle of each if the 2001 and 2003 I need to try again.
Cheers
Mark
Last edited by Claudius2 on Thu May 16, 2024 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Thanks C, I was down on Pontet Canet for a while there but I think maybe the newer team has changed things for the better? A very anecdotal observation.
jckba

Post by jckba »

PC is not a UGC property and as I don’t attend the en primeur tastings I don’t get to taste PC except when opening my own. Better to ask Alex or GBF as I am sure they have an informed opinion.

Best PC for my tastes though has been the ‘96 time and time again.
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

Jim, I was fortunate to talk to Mathieu Bessonnet, the winemaker at Pontet Canet over the weekend (long story, mutual friend). We didn’t discuss the 2020 but as Mathieu has been there for 4 years now, I expect a subtle change in style may be occurring. I think Neal Martin has alluded to this in his notes.

We did talk about the 2023 PC which Mathieu was very pleased with. Picking the Merlot early was critical apparently. He is already worried about the 2024 vintage due to the weather so far, but I wonder if that’s just the nervous winemaker talking. We also had a chat about NZ wines, and he mentioned that he is a big fan of the Felton Road Pinot Noir (Central Otago). Not sure if it is the Block 3 or 5. My friend is heading over to Bordeaux in a couple of months, so I may try to grab some for him to take over and share with Mathieu.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Jim,

Thought we saw you a few rows up behind the basket in Cleveland watching the game of TV. The hair and glasses were a give away unless you've got a twin!
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ha we had great seats five rows off the floor Danny, NBA games are fun with all the sensory overload. Man, those guys beat up on each other out there.