The 2015 Labegorce has been uncorked and other ramblings....

JimHow

The 2015 Labegorce has been uncorked and other ramblings....

Post by JimHow »

Been sick as a demon for a week but my sense of smell seems to be intact, perhaps I should do a Covid test anyway. In any event, the color of this puppy seems a youthful purple/ruby, penetrating on the nose upon uncorking, 2015 seems to be a Margaux let's see how she stands up to a strip sirloin on this summer-like Thursday evening....
JimHow

Re: The 2015 Labegorce has been uncorked and other ramblings....

Post by JimHow »

The 2015 Labegorce is superb. It is balanced, velvety, 14%, classy, everything in place, just amazing that wines like this can be had in the upper $30s range. Tremendous value. Everything in balance for me on the nose and palate, yes, this was a beautifully balanced 2015 Margaux. I would have guessed Margaux appellation if consumed blind. That's not to say it doesn't have some modern traits but it is drinking so beautifully in that "Alex Rychlewski Nine Year Sweet Spot." I.e., a wine that has come out of hibernation and is showing some nice nuances and, hey, why wait longer. The fruit is crisp and youthful, I'm sipping it with a slightly fatty strip sirloin steak, what's the problem? Very fragrant, which in the end defines it for me as Margaux. I have four bottles of the 2015 left and I will space out and drink the rest in the next decade. I have a case of 2016 Labegorce and this 2015 bottle makes me want to buy a case of the 2019, and possibly 2020. This estate seems to be rocking it. Rating: 94 points.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Very enthusiastic report Jim, on another 2015 Margaux. I don’t know if i ever try a Labegorce.

I hope you’re recovering as last Saturday, whenwe did the quick video conference, you were already coughing.

Reading marcs comment, i guess i will plan a stop to Maine on the way back from NYC in August.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Can’t get rid of this cough, feeling better this morning. Labegorce is a Nic Maltais/Alex Rychlewski kind of wine, great QPR. I also enjoyed drinking it at the 9 year mark, the fruit up front but showing some development. I have four more bottles of the 2015 which I will drink over the next decade. I am also happy to have a case of the 2016. I think I’m going to pick up some 2019s and 2020s.

It would be great to coordinate a visit of you guys with Marcs!
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Jim, let us know if you taste a bottle of your 2016 Labegorce - I have a case in waiting.