TN: 1998 Château Quinault L'Enclos

JimHow

TN: 1998 Château Quinault L'Enclos

Post by JimHow »

• 1998 Château Quinault L'Enclos - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (2/4/2009)
    Robert Parker was right about this wine. What a lovely right bank Bordeaux this has turned out to be. It has really rounded out nicely, displaying nice layers of complexity, with tobacco, leather, and even an appealing shittyness. Last time I drank this I was concerned whether the fruit would outlast the wood. I'm concerned no more. And I do not consider this to be "new world." The cherry notes integrate beautifully with the wood to produce a classy medium-to-full-bodied effort. (92 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
alchemeus

Re: TN: 1998 Château Quinault L'Enclos

Post by alchemeus »

Ya know, I think I have a few bottles of this. 'shittyness'. That's GOOD for me. Adds a bit of rustic to the wine.

I wasn't thinking of opening any but the non-classed right bankers for another few years. Maybe I should re-think that notion.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

It'll get better with age, Alch, although I don't see it as a real long-termer. I'd say it will continue to improve for another 5-10 years.
Roberto

Post by Roberto »

I was wrong about this wine. I thought it was not going to age.

Roberto
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I had my concerns too, Bob, I'll bring a half bottle for you when I see you next, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. It's a classy little effort.
jal

Post by jal »

I tasted this about two years ago and didn't like it, it tasted bitter. I may have one last bottle and will check on this again at some point.
Best

Jacques