1985 Chateau Cos D'Estournel

tphendy

1985 Chateau Cos D'Estournel

Post by tphendy »

We bought two bottles of this vintage for my son when he marries. Well that event is this Saturday so we plan on opening the bottles at the rehersal dinner Friday evening.

The bottles have not moved since we purchased them (for $56 each!) and they have been kept in our basement which stays between 60 and 70 degrees F.

Two questions:

1) What is the likelihood that the wine is still drinkable?

2) Any tips on opening the bottles?

Thanks.
JimHow

Re: 1985 Chateau Cos D'Estournel

Post by JimHow »

I predict this wine will not only be drinkable, I predict it is going to be splendid. I don't think it needs any special uncorking treatment other than opening an hour or two before consumption, although others here may have other advice. Congratulations on what sounds like a great weekend ahead!
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Opposite to Jim, I think the wine should be dead since a long time, so I'll send you my adress, to dispose of those 2 bottles...

Seriously, Jimhow is right on that one.

Nic
JonoB

Post by JonoB »

No issues with the 85 Cos... bad bottles are pleasant with a short finish,; good bottles are absolutely divine.
Pop the cork, wait for the bottle stink to blow away and enjoy!!!!!
Jonathan Beagle's Wine Blog
An explanation of my 100 point scoring system

Sake Consultant for SAKE@UK the Sake Import Division of JAPAN@UK

President of the Cambridge University Wine Society 2015-2016

(ITB)
jal

Post by jal »

Well, you don't say when or where you bought them and how long you've been storing them. For all we know, they were stored somewhere in a hot basement for years, sold to you at $56 (in 2005 for instance) and kept properly for only four or five years, in this case, you may or may not get lucky.

If, however, they have been properly stored since release, I would go with Jim's recommendation and only open them for a couple of hours (no decanting).

Congratulations on your son's wedding. Have a great time.
Best

Jacques
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Well-stored bottles should be drinking really well. Open a couple of hours ahead, pour out an ounce or two to sample, and just let it sit in the bottle without decanting. Sometimes a 25 year old cork can be excessively dry and crumbly or soft and mushy, though not as likely if the bottle has been properly stored. Be prepared with a Screwpull and an ah-so style opener.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

I had a bottle 3 weeks ago.

I used the Audouze system i.e., opened the bottle 5 hours beforehand and poured out a small glass after uncorking.

It was a very complex and enjoyable wine, arguably starting a slow decline.
A treat if you're into subtle old Bordeaux.

One of the controversial wines in the 2009 vintage is Cos d'Estournel. They have changed their style markedly and opinions are divided.

Best regards,
Alex R.
hautbrionlover

Post by hautbrionlover »

I have had the '85 Cos many times, but regrettably not recently.
My recollection is that it is a lovely, low acid and rather forward wine; pretty rather than muscular (the latter adjective would suit the '86, with the two vintages being as different as two good vintages can be).
It might be a bit past its prime, but if the storage was adequate, I think it will still give much pleasure.
Congratulations on the wonderful occasion for opening it!
Claudius

Post by Claudius »

Guys
it has been several years since I've had the 85 but it was a lovely wine, with heaps of red and black fruits. Agree it was low in acid, though not too low. I think it was drinking very well from 2000 to 2005, and won't get better. The 86 is on the other hand a more tannic, adicid and concentrated wine that to me is the best wine I've tried from this eastate.