Bordeaux blowout!

Jay Winton

Bordeaux blowout!

Post by Jay Winton »

some great prices here. WWW is a good retailer-no problems with provenance, etc. I asked for 6LB, 6 Ducru and I might get one of the 2001 Montrose. They won't bill until wine has arrived.

My wine budget is, once again, totally shot.

202-333-7500

We are expecting delivery the week of April 12th. All orders will be confirmed and billed when they arrive in our store.

2001 Montrose 91pts Reg Price $79.99 Sale Price $34.99

Sweet notes of earth, compost, and thick, juicy black currant as well as cherry characteristics jump from the glass of this dense purple-colored 2001. Medium-bodied and rich, with moderately high tannin as well as surprising power and density, it is the most backward St.-Estephe of the vintage. A blend of 62% Cabernet Sauvignon, 34% Merlot, and the rest Petit Verdot and Cabernet Franc, it requires 5-6 years of cellaring, and should drink well for 15-16.

2002 Sociando Mallet 89pts Reg Price $34.99 Sale Price $19.99

A striking minerality, copious quantities of black currants and plums, along with some dried herbs jump from the glass of this tannic, structured, somewhat severe but large-scaled, muscular wine that oozes testosterone. Virile, structured, and perhaps too tannic for its own good, but impressively built, pure, and a wine to admire (rather than possibly enjoy), this large-scaled 2002 requires 7-10 years of cellaring. Anticipated maturity: 2013-2025+?.

2003 La Gomerie 94pts Reg Price $99.99 Sale Price $49.99

A limited production garagiste operation, La Gomerie is treated like a favored child by its proprietor. Jean-Philippe Fort, Michel Rolland’s top assistant, is a consultant for this 100% Merlot-based wine produced from a 5-acre, 31-year-old vineyard. The sensational 2003 is performing even better from bottle than it did from cask. Production was a tiny 750 cases (as opposed to1,000 in an abundant year), and the finished alcohol is 13.7%, rather high for Bordeaux. Nevertheless, the wine possesses surprising freshness and liveliness, which adds to its appeal. A deep purple color is accompanied by a sweet bouquet of chocolate, black raspberries, cherries, charcoal, and toasty oak, powerful, full-bodied, concentrated flavors, and high levels of silky tannin. Low acidity and abundant glycerin suggest it can be drunk now and over the next decade. This is a sumptuous St.-Emilion.

2004 Duhart Milon (halves) 91pts Reg Price $32.99 Sale Price $14.99

Another sleeper of the vintage for this property that has been doing impressive work over recent vintages, the 2004 (a blend of 80% Cabernet Sauvignon and 20% Merlot) displays a dark ruby/purple color along with classic aromas of cedar, creme de cassis, earth, spice, and wood. Medium to full-bodied, ripe, long, and impressively endowed, it should be at its peak between 2010-2022.

2004 Leoville Barton 92+pts Reg Price $89.99 Sale Price $34.99

This is an impressively endowed vin de garde that should age effortlessly for 20-30 years. How Anthony Barton continues to fashion uncompromisingly primordial Bordeaux that are always among the biggest and densest of all the St.-Juliens is beyond me, but he does it year in and year out. Moreover, when it’s time to set the price, he appears to have the consumer foremost in his mind. The 2004 is a classic Leoville-Barton meant for long aging. Concentrated, with loads of smoke, creme de cassis, forest floor, and earthy notes emerge from this impressive, but oh, so backward wine. Anticipated maturity: 2015-2030+.

2004 Ducru Beaucaillou 93pts Reg Price $79.99 Sale Price $39.99

One can’t say enough about the efforts Bruno Borie is pouring into this wonderful estate that I have often called the “Lafite Rothschild of St.-Julien.” An undeniable success, the 2004 Ducru boasts sweet aromas of creme de cassis, spring flowers, pain grille, licorice, and road tar. This pure, medium-bodied wine possesses moderately high tannin, superb concentration, good sweetness, and low acidity. Give it 2-3 years of cellaring and drink it over the following 25 years

2004 Pavie Decesse 94pts Reg Price $109.99 Sale Price $49.99

This small estate owned by Chantal and Gerard Perse (9 plus acres planted with 43-year-old vines) is composed of 90% Merlot and 10% Cabernet Franc. In 2004, yields were a low 28-30 hectoliters per hectare, resulting in 400 cases being produced. The dense ruby/purple-colored 2004 offers smoky creme de cassis, kirsch liqueur, crushed rock, and spring flower aromas. Opulent, flamboyant, rich, dense, and lavishly endowed, it possesses enough fruit and glycerin to nearly conceal its elevated tannin. This wine should be at its finest between 2012-2025.

2004 La Mission Haut Brion 90pts Reg Price $109.99 Sale Price $59.99

While La Mission Haut-Brion’s 2004 is not one of this estate’s top successes, it is an outstanding wine, no doubt because of this extraordinary terroir. Deep ruby/purple with notes of lead pencil shavings intermixed with black cherries, cassis, and a hint of scorched earth, medium body, sweet tannin, and a good, but uninspiring finish, this attractive, mid-weight La Mission should age nicely for 15 or more years.

2005 Richelieu 90pts Reg Price $34.99 Sale Price $24.99

A big time sleeper of the vintage, this opulent, beautifully textured, deep ruby/purple-colored wine is a blend of 76% Merlot and 24% Cabernet Franc. None other than the brilliant consultant Stephane Derenoncourt works here. The wine exhibits wonderfully sweet black currant and smoky black cherry notes intermixed with some licorice. The wine has a lush texture, silky tannins, and a medium to full-bodied, long finish. Drink it over the next decade or more. They also produce a luxury cuvee called La Favorite, too expensive for this report, but also an outstanding wine made from 69% Merlot and 31% Cabernet Franc.

2005 Clos Manou 90pts Reg Price $49.99 Sale Price $29.99

The outstanding 2005 Clos Manou demonstrates just how deep and strong this vintage can be for overachievers from less prestigious terroirs. This blend of 60% Cabernet Sauvignon and the rest mostly Merlot and a small amount of Petit Verdot exhibits a dense ruby/purple color followed by a classic Medoc nose of cedarwood, black currants, fruitcake, tobacco, and menthol. Medium to full-bodied and ripe with good tannin, structure, purity, and depth, unlike many of these lower level offerings, it will benefit from 1-2 years of cellaring, and should drink well for a decade or more.

2005 Fieuzal Rouge 90pts Reg Price $49.99 Sale Price $34.99

Smoke, black truffles, crushed rock, and leafy notes combined with earth, fresh mushrooms, and cassis result in a complex set of aromatics for the dark ruby/purple-colored 2005 Fieuzal. Medium-bodied with crisp acidity and high tannin, this serious wine is closed, but promising. Anticipated maturity: 2012-2027.

2005 Barde Haut 93pts Reg Price $54.99 Sale Price $39.99

A tasty, opulent 2005 from proprietress Helene Garcin, this sexy wine exhibits a dense ruby/purple color followed by a sweet bouquet of licorice, black cherries, blackberries, oak, and licorice. Medium to full-bodied, opulent, fleshy, and disarming, it will drink well in 2-3 years, and should age for 12-15. By the way, I have recently begun sampling my 1998 Barde-Haut, which is just emerging from its adolescent stage. It, too, is a beauty!

2005 L’Hermitage 92pts Reg Price $74.99 Sale Price $42.99

L’Hermitage, one of the original garagiste estates, is a blend of 65% Merlot and 35% Cabernet Franc from a small 9-acre site sandwiched between such titans of St.-Emilion as Beausejour-Duffau and Angelus. The 2005 is typically pure, medium to full-bodied, opulent, and showy, with more elegance (largely because of its fresh, lively acidity) and serious structure than usual. Its intense aromatics of blackberry, black cherry, and herbs is backed-up by a full-bodied wine possessing ripe tannin as well as outstanding weight, length, and overall harmony. Anticipated maturity: 2011-2022.

2005 Rauzan Gassies 92pts Reg Price $74.99 Sale Price $44.99

Significantly better from bottle than it was from barrel, the 2005 Rauzan-Gassies appears to be the finest wine this estate has ever produced. Dense purple-hued with a beautiful perfume of camphor, creme de cassis, licorice, bay leaf, and incense, it is a full-bodied, stunningly concentrated, broad, rich Margaux with lovely integrated tannins. This backward 2005 will handsomely repay cellaring. Anticipated maturity: 2014-2030+.

2004 Smith Haut Lafite Blanc 94pts Reg Price $74.99 Sale Price $29.99

No Notes Available

We would like to remind you that we will be closed from March 29th to April 1st and reopen at 10 AM April 2ed.

Cheers!

Wide World of Wines
DavidG

Re: Bordeaux blowout!

Post by DavidG »

Dammit, Jay, you are going to get me in trouble!
JonB

Post by JonB »

I really liked the Barde Haut.....it came across a little Californian early on, but as it ages I think it'll show more of a typical right bank profile.
rjsussex

Post by rjsussex »

Montrose 01 is a beauty and that price is very keen.

Richard
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

wow great prices, I picked up 04' barton for $62 and thought I received a fair deal. What is www?
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Looks like a very rare opportunity to purchase a LMHB at such blowout price.
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

everthing is probably gone by now, who is blowing this out?

www?
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Wide World of Wines in DC.

http://wideworldofwines.com/
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

I ended up with 4 LB and 1 Montrose. Better than being shut out I guess.