TN: And Goodbye to Brown....

chris kissack

TN: And Goodbye to Brown....

Post by chris kissack »

UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown isn't the only Brown to have disappeared recently....

Chateau Brown Blanc (Pessac-Léognan) 2007: Tasted three times during a recent visit to Bordeaux. A great nose, vibrant, still showing a little sliver of oak it seemed on one occasion, but always lovely and fresh, with nuances of passion fruit and honey. A fine and pithy substance on the palate, fresh, but also deep and flavoursome. Stylish with real character. High quality and excellent value. 17/20

Chateau Brown (Pessac-Léognan) 1999: I haven't tasted many older vintages of Brown from the pre-Mau/Derenoncourt era. This has a dark and still youthful hue. Rather a reserved style on the nose, opening out to reveal dark and maturing fruits. Delightfully mature on the palate, good substance and breadth, still quite tannic, and rather robust in style with it. Moderate acidity. A good effort for the vintage I think, and still some potential here. 15.5+/20

I'm always taken by the Brown Blanc. It's a delicious wine, usually dominated by Sauvignon Blanc (65% of the 2007 above) but always with a richer, textural quality (rather waxy in 2009, I found, although that was a barrel sample only of course) which betrays the presence of Semillon.
Comte Flaneur

Re: TN: And Goodbye to Brown....

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Thanks for the note Chris, it is not a wine we see over here, or much in the UK for that matter...the 07 blanc sounds delicious

As for Gordon Brown, good-bye or good riddance? Unfortunately he is likely to show up at the IMF when Strauss-Kahn leaves to oppose Sarko in the next French Presidential election. Then he really can save the world
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

Ch. Brown (rouge) was a wine available at/imported by Total Beverage, a chain run by the Dart Drug (Auto?) Haft? family in the DC/mid atlantic area when I lived there.
JonB

Post by JonB »

I went to school in Philly with the younger of the 2 Haft sons, Ronnie. The older brother also started Half Priced Books. I recollect there were some family feuds.