TN: St Pierre & Ducru

chris kissack

TN: St Pierre & Ducru

Post by chris kissack »

St Pierre is an old favourite, an estate which has been under the radar for a long time, although that seems to be changing in recent vintages (probably as other wines from the same commune continue to become less and less affordable).

Chateau Saint-Pierre (St Julien) 2004: This wine carries the aromas of sweet liquorice and pencil graphite over sweet fruit. It seems surprisingly open and approachable, with the suggestion of early maturity on the nose. The palate has a soft and welcoming flesh, with a nice smoky grip beneath. A lovely, meaty, slightly earthy character, spiced with a hint of green peppercorn. Overall a good wine, but in a rather awkward phase right now, so difficult to judge. I suspect it will come good given another five years or so as all the raw materials are here. 16-17+?/20

And one of those increasingly unaffordable wines is Ducru of course (along with the Léovilles). The 1995 was a great vintage for the estate, a major success after a string of problematic bottles through the 1980s. It was also Wine Spectator's Wine of the Year.

Chateau Ducru-Beaucaillou (St Julien) 1995: Early maturity with this wine, which was a turnaround vintage for the estate. Some emerging maturity in terms of aroma, with iron and tea leaves on the nose, backed up by intense, concentrated, tightly bound fruit. Firm substance on the palate, very tight still, supple but weighty and clearly, despite the positive notes on the nose, this is a wine that needs yet more time. Firm texture, meaty and spicy fruit, giving glimpses of what the future holds, but all still very tightly coiled up at present. Great potential here. 18+/20
AlexR

Re: TN: St Pierre & Ducru

Post by AlexR »

Chris,

Did you taste the 09 Saint-Pierre?
I thought it was really good: chunky, rich, upfront Cabernet. This is definitely a wine to follow as it's much less expensive than the other great growths of St. Julien.

Alex
chris kissack

Post by chris kissack »

Yes Alex, good wine:

Chateau Saint-Pierre 2009: This wine has a very dark core with a bright crimson rim. The nose provides us with some bright and crystalline fruit, with a dark, black berry character. A very cool style on entry, supple, although through the middle it has a more lush feel. A good core of acidity, and a layer of soft, well-honed tannins. The finish has a pure, soft fruit character, leading into a good length. An attractive wine, with no unnecessary fuss; this should come very good. 17-18+/20
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Thanks for the notes CK, looks like the Ducru 95 will be a beauty when it finally decides to come round (like waiting for Godot, but I'm sure it will be worth it)...didn't St-Pierre sell its soul a bit in recent vintages...I have fond memories of the 86...I had a case of halves and they were utterly delicious but classic St-J at the same time.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

FWIW, the 2003 St. Pierre is a very slutty wine (although I enjoyed it for what is was when I last tasted).

St. Pierre has definitely become a Parker darling in recent vintages.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I pulled a 2000 St Pierre [St Julien] last night. This is a polite, restrained 12.5% abv Medoc that leans AFWE. Even though its from the same owner as Gloria, I don't find it as exuberant, and actually prefer the unclassified Gloria over this. (I went through a case of the 00 Gloria in its first decade, this St Pierre has been held longer assuming it was more ageworthy). There is a cranberry, mulberry note to the nose and palate, with a little bit of acid, and all resolved tannins. It does improve a little with air, but I still think these were better younger. It reminded me a lot of the 96 Langoa Barton, but I liked that better too. At this point, the wine is what it is, and I recommend consumption. I'll give it a B in my ledger.

You can see the garnet color here
https://photos.app.goo.gl/5jJJKXEJejrxP7UK7

PS: my 2003 St Pierre's have been strange, and dislikable.
Last edited by AKR on Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

I drank over a case of 2003 St. Pierre that I bought in NH for $19/bottle on closeout and finished my last bottle 3 years ago. In reviewing my notes I see that is was typical of the vintage, very ripe and low acid. It was fun to drink but never really wowed me.