TN: 2007 Le Cadeau Diversite Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley

Claret

TN: 2007 Le Cadeau Diversite Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley

Post by Claret »

Le Cadeau was my biggest discovery from my first Oregon trip. Tom Mortimer has cleared land on Parrett Mountain up the hill from Chehalem, and planted about 12 acres to various rootstocks and mainly Dijon clones, in multiple variations, according to the particular terrior in that section of this sloping vineyard. The link below shows the rockiest block called Rocheux. There are three blocks that are bottled individually, and a fourth called Diversite that is a blend of all three blocks, and is the most approachable young.

I am sure that in 5 years this wine will be utterly fantastic, and am glad that I was able to enjoy this youthful wine now with its upfront fruit and spice in the foreground. The nose danced thru several stages of red fruits and numerous dried sweet spices thru out the night. and reminded me of a Morey Saint Denis or Vosne Romanee. The nose was great and a real thrill to sniff, already showing great complexity.

On the palate the most noteable aspect was the texture and body. The wine was a proper medium plus body for a truly balanced Pinot Noir. The texture was natural across the tongue with a presence like a Grand Cru Burg in a good vintage. I know that there is French oak somewhere in this wine, but it is so far in the background with the volume level on low.

This vineyard is composed of dusty reddish volcanic soils and lots of basalt. There is an earthiness and clear mineral character which adds great interest to the total experience. I was very impressed with this wine. It is only the second 2007 Oregon PN that tasted, but I suspect that the lighter style of the vintage will flesh out more in time. Yes, there was some harvest rain, but well drained vineyards and correct winemaking decisions like not harvesting in the rain will result in some very good wines made in a more elegant style.

I was in Oregon over Labor Day weekend last year and the buzz was how everybody's vineyards were 3 weeks behind schedule, but otherwise looking very healthy. It turned out to be a very late harvest well into the second and third week of October, and the treatening heavy rain mostly held off allowing for a potentially phenominal vintage. I can hardly wait.

http://www.lecadeauvineyard.com/photo04.htm
Glenn
stefan

Re: TN: 2007 Le Cadeau Diversite Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley

Post by stefan »

Hey, Glenn, it is not very nice of you to extoll the virtues of this virtually unobtainable wine. :)

I could use some good M-S-D from Oregon. Right now I am quaffing a '97 made by Pierre Amiot. It is lovely and has none of the weaknesses associated with '97s. It is perfect for drinking now--lots of sweet red fruit, some underbrush in the nose and finish, strong in the mid palate. Well worth the $9.17 I paid for it last year (not counting the refund I got for the overcharge). In fact, it is an easy buy at $30+.

stefan
Claret

Re: TN: 2007 Le Cadeau Diversite Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley

Post by Claret »

stefan, Jr. might be able to find some locally. PM me if you need a source.

This is a label that I put on the same level as another new find, Rhys, sharing a similar style and spicy complexity in a Burgundy way.
Glenn