Calon Segur 02 instead (again) of football

rjsussex

Calon Segur 02 instead (again) of football

Post by rjsussex »

This has always been the second favourite 02 in my cellar after Poyferre and tonight's bottle is the best yet - maybe because the first tried in the wonderful DenkArt Bordeaux glass.

Very big colour, licorishy-classy Cabernet nose, not a trace of oak, touch volatile on this bottle but more inviting and developed than earlier bottles; mineral-dry on impact and still quite clenched but the minerals and stones have the fruit shadowing behind in an exciting way before the big-dry finish kicks in. Quite some wine. Just needs more time but the fruit (I think and hope!) is there ready for it - but a very clear lesson in the old-style as against Poyferre's voluptuous modernism (as it seems in comparison).

But I have to say I think I will always prefer the Poyferre. This Calon 02 (it really finishes dry tonight!) is one to watch. (And with lunatic and so depressing 09 prices this week literally watching is what I'm reduced to with wines like Poyferre and Calon!).

Oh and I think there's Great British Football Men doing something on the telly tonight.

Richard