BWE DC '09: Saturday blind tasting update

DavidG

BWE DC '09: Saturday blind tasting update

Post by DavidG »

In the main BWE DC '09 thread, Stefan and Jim came up with a theme for the blind tasting at Charlie Palmer Steak on Saturday night, and I'm starting this thread to pick the wines and source them. The theme is:

Bordeaux from the Golden Decade of the 1980s, or...
Bordeaux from Before Nic Could Legally Drive

Last time we did a total of 6 different wines. That was plenty - we had time to do it in an hour but there wasn't much time for lollygagging. I wouldn't object to fewer wines. I think anywhere from 3 to 6 would be OK.

It looks like we'll have about 30 people in attendance, so two bottles of each wine will be needed. I'm not sure if our members are deep in these wines, so let's just start by seeing what people can bring and go from there.

Edit...

.........................News Flash.........................

Unidentified BWE Signs Fighters for DC '09 Saturday Night Blind Bouts
BWE News Network
Somewhere in Cyberspace
February 22, 2009

BNN has learned that an "Unidentified BWE" has put together a stable of fighters to appear at the Saturday Night Blind bouts to be held at the BWE Annual Convention in the nation's capital this spring. Masked fighters are known to appear frequently at the BWE Convention, sometimes at the Main Event on Saturday, and sometimes at one of the Friday Night Fights. They have always generated a good deal of excitement and, on occasion, controversy. The concept became firmly entrenched in BWE lore at the '03 NYC Convention, when a mysterious Anonymous Benefactor assembled a group of fighters, all from the 1982 vintage, for the enjoyment of the entire assembly. Those bouts demonstrated unequivocally that reports of the '82s demise were indeed premature, and contained a surprising defeat of the vaunted '82 Mouton.

A source close to the Unidentified BWE reports that there will be six contestants at the DC Convention's Main Event, which will take place at Charlie Palmer Steak on Saturday, April 4. Doors open at 5:15 PM, with the bell scheduled to ring on the first bout at 6:15. The source asked to remain unnamed, as he is not authorized to comment publicly on behalf of the UBWE. He was able to provide the following details. All fighters will be from the "The Golden Decade of the 1980s," with three separate bouts pitting two contestants against each other for 15 minutes. Unconfirmed reports suggest that there will be two fighters each from 1982, 1985, and 1989. In addition to scoring the bouts, a friendly competition to identify the fighters will be held, with a prize for the most accurate BWE. Further specifics about the format remain murky at present.

Rumors are circulating about the identities of the fighters, and the possible appearance of one or more first growths. Speculation is running rampant inside the beltway as to whether former heavyweight champion and BWE legend 1989 Lynch Bages will return to Washington, DC, the site of his last defeat, for a rematch. Fight insiders will recall that Bages was dissed by his manager, the wildly successful and eccentric attorney Jimmy "LB" How on the eve of his big match two years ago. Bages went down to defeat the following night, after a very public split with his manager. Usually a flamboyant celebrity, Bages has not been heard from since. Reached at his home in Lewiston, Maine How said, "I haven't seen Lynch in some time," adding sadly, "I no longer own him. I loved him to death, but I just used him up..."

Details will be added as they become available.
JimHow

Re: BWE DC '09 Saturday Blind Tasting

Post by JimHow »

That's too funny. Excellent idea. I'll see what I can add to the list.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Just to let you know, I'm 35 so born in 1974. So you want wine pre-74? To keep it cheap, why don't we do a 1971-1972-1973 review? :-).

The 1989 Lynch Bages sounds good, as long as you don't put the 1988 VCC against it...

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Geez... 1974.... The year you were born I was drinking my first Boones Farm Apple.... :cry:
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Fair enough, Nic. So when do you start driving up there in Canada, age 16? So how about "Bordeaux From Before Nic Learned To Drive?" :mrgreen:
hm$

Post by hm$ »

I have 2 bottles of '82 Soc. Mallet, a magnum of '86 Soc. Mallet and 1 '82 Poyferre.

hm$
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Sounds like fun, David. I seem to recall that we have a lot of wines from "Before Nic Could Legally Drive", but we may have to boycott due to the prejudicial rhetoric against the '88 Vieux Chateau Certan...
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

David,

Unfortunately, my collection is pretty slim in this era. The only match I can make from your list is the '88 Lynch. I could also do a 1986 Ducru.

Jon
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm slim in this area as well but I'm planning on getting ahold of some 1980s Bordeaux in the next week, I'll have some bottles to add.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

David,

We must think alike - I bought most of the wines you list. Sadly, many of them are long gone.

I really like 1983 Gruaud Larose and think it would be an interesting wine to include in the blind tasting. I can provide a bottle.

I think it might be fun to match up 1989 Pichon Lalande or 1989 Montrose (both excellent wines) with 1989 Lynch Bages. The 1989 Montrose finished ahead of 1989 Lynch Bages in a tasting that I attended in DC in December 2007 (many tasters also preferred the 1989 La Conseillante). The 1989 Montose also finishe in a tie with the 1990 Montrose in a tasting I attended in Cleveland in the fall of 2006.

Chris Bublitz
Rick

Post by Rick »

Chris I can also bring a 83 GL to match up with yours

My last one and one of my oldest wines

David will you be posting a listing of what is committed to and who??

Rick
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Yes, I will get together a list from the offerings posted here and some behind the scenes contributions. There may be some surprises...
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Some exciting news to report...

An Anonymous Benefactor has stepped forward to offer a series of wines for the Saturday blind tasting (a different Anonymous Benefactor than the NYC '03 AB). Yet another example of unparalleled BWE generosity.

I am not at liberty to provide too many details at this point, but I'm pretty certain that these wines will create a lot of excitement.

A number of great bottles have already been mentioned in this thread. Please bring them. I am sure they will go great with dinner, and will allow the "wine from the '80s" theme to continue on into the night.

More details as they become available...
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

BWE generosity is truly unbelievable and always restores my faith in people as a whole. We are truly a great group
Rick

Re: FLASH: Unidentified BWE Signs Fighters for DC '09 Bouts

Post by Rick »

David

FWIW at this point I agree that 6 blind may be too many for the hour - I would vote for less so there is a little more time to discuss and so You have time to try them

As I recall last time you were not at your chair and your glasses were empty

Rick
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

We'll be fine with 6 wines. 15 minutes for each flight of 2 wines is enough time to form an opinion and fill out the score sheets. People can hold on to ones that they want to spend time with. We'll just have to rent enough glasses.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

A new Anonymous Benefactor, eh....
Hmmm.... I have my ideas who that might be....

I'm excited! Two wines each from '82, '85 and '89.... Wow!

I love these BWE conventions!

As Parker said about the 1996 Leoville Las Cases.... "Wow! Wow! Wow!"
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

...and I second Jay's comments, the generosity of BWEers is inspirational. Thank you very much to the the Anonymous Benefactor of DC '09!
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

This is quite generous. I wish I could do that. One day, I would really like to be an Anonymous Benefactor at a BWE convention. But I don't know if it will be possible one day...

Something is sure, it is better to be an Anonymous Benefactor than a Benevolent Dictator :-)

Nic
stefan

Post by stefan »

Thanks, Anonymous Benefactor. That is a most generous offering.

stefan
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Likely BWE Team Spotted Along I-95 Corridor
BNN
March 2, 2009

Richmond, VA

A team of fighters rumored to be the "BWE 6" were seen here traveling on a northbound train along the I-95 corridor towards Washington, DC. When approached, all denied that they were involved in the upcoming BWE "Saturday Night Blind" event, and none of them would reveal their identity. One of them, however, bearing a passing resemblance to the '89 Lynch Bages, let slip that they were heading "to a suburb near DC... for training" before being hustled away by his traveling companions. The group appeared to be traveling light, with no accompanying trainer or manager, a risky proposition considering the propensity for these types to find trouble.

It seems that the group set out somewhere along the Eastern seabord south of Virginia, narrowing the list of those who might be their manager. It also appears that they are heading to one of the DC-area BWEs for training, but no further information appears to be forthcoming at this time. Now alerted to the media presence on their train, they have gone into seclusion.

More details when they are available.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Wow, indeed! Many thanks Anonymous Benefactor! I too, like Nicklass, look forward to the day when I can be a BWE Anonymous Benefactor (maybe at the BWE Convention in 2025 with the 2005 vintage, given my unseemly haul ).

Not to be too dense, but is there any particular theme or order for the wines to go with dinner other than being Bordeaux from the 1980's? This is my first BWE Convention, and I want to get it right.

Patrick
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I think "organized mayhem" might be be the best descriptor of the wine themes for the big BWE convention dinners. We try to co-ordinate multiple bottles of at least a few wines so that everyone gets to share and talk about a common tasting experience, but beyond that, it's pretty much a free-for-all centered on the general theme. This year the common wines will be grouped in a blind tasting - that's not always the case. We're very lucky to have an AB supply us with 5 of the 6 wines for the blind tasting. There will be 2 wines from '82, 2 from '85, and two from '89.

Since many BWEs have younger cellars, I can guarantee you that there will be wines from the '90s or the '00s being drunk at the dinner which follows the blind tasting. And (heresy) probably even some non-Bordeaux! I'll try to summarize what people have volunteered to bring for Champagnes and dinner wines and post it in another thread, but there are always last-minute additions and surprises. We try not to be overly organized for the dinner wines.
DavidG

Re: BWE DC '09: Saturday blind tasting update

Post by DavidG »

Fighters Spotted in Maryland
Manager Identified
March 15, 2009
BNN

Efforts by BNN reporters, who have been keeping tabs on DC-area BWEs in the hopes of picking up the the trail of the "BWE 6," paid off last week when David ("The Hammer") G was seen hustling a group of 5 fighters into his home in suburban Maryland under cover of darkness. None of the contestants could be positively identified. However, a search of DavidG's trash the next morning revealed baggage tags issued under apparently assumed names - '05 Barde Haute was one example. The tags, originating in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, led investigators to the fighters' manager, Stuart "The Fight Doctor" Roberts.

Roberts has been known to manage a large group of A-list fighters going back many years. His '82 Gruaud Larose was the star of last year's event in South Beach. Reached at his office, the notoriously demur Roberts admitted that the fighters were from his stable, but declined to provide details on their identities or whether the Gruaud would appear for a rematch this year. He did confirm that he sent five representatives, two each from the '82 and '85 vintages, and one from the '89 vintage, to join a sixth fighter of unknown origin, for training with DavidG for the Saturday Night Blind event.

The mysterious disappearance of '89 Lynch Bages has insiders guessing whether he might be the as-yet-unconfirmed sixth fighter. This would be uncharacteristic of the fallen champion, who was known, along with his estranged former manager, famed attorney Jimmy "LB" How, for flamboyant outbursts and aggressive media tactics in the run-up to a major fight. When asked if he knew anything about the whereabouts of the former champion, Roberts stated that he had had no contact with him, and had no idea whether Lynch was going to be in DC for the event. He advised Lynch in an open statement to the media that adhering to a strict training regimen and keeping a low profile with no distractions would be the best means for regaining his lost title. Roberts also warned that if both Lynch and How were present in DC, anything might happen. How's office said he was unreachable for comment due to a heavy trial schedule.

Efforts to identify the fighters from the Roberts stable are ongoing, but it appears that DavidG is keeping a tight lid on things until fight night April 4 at Charlie Palmer in DC.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

MAINE TIMES

ACTIVITY AT MAINE FIGHT CAMP DRAWS SPECULATION

Lewiston, Maine (AP)-- Excitement reigned in this gritty central Maine mill town today as word spread that legendary Bordeaux wine champion, the 1989 Chateau Lynch Bages, was glimpsed entering the compound of world-renowned trial lawyer and philanthropist Jimmy L.B. How.

Speculation in the local wine media focused immediately on the obvious question of whether the legendary Pauillac combatant might be in town as part of secret preparations for the battle of 1980s Bordeaux scheduled at the upcoming ninth annual convention of Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts in Washington D.C.

The beloved, workmanlike 1989 Lynch Bages-- known affectionately as "the poor man's Mouton"-- is a veteran of epic BWE victories against the 1989 Pichon "The Purple Baron" Baron at the Chicago BWE conventions in 2001 and 2004. The victories sealed the reputation of the 1989 Lynch Bages as "the greatest Bordeaux in the past fifty years."

Until this weekend, however, the Lynch had not been seen in public for nearly two years, since its controversial defeat to lowly club fighter 1988 Vieux Chateau Certan in a fight that was stopped in the first round due to a cut. Slow motion instant replays from several angles showed a clear head-butt from controversial VCC manager Tommy "The Hit Man" Wheltle, but protests were unheeded by questionable Maryland fight officials and VCC was awarded victory in a sports controversy second probably only to the U.S. basketball team's defeat to the Soviet Union in the summer Olympics of 1972.

An epic battle of 1980s Bordeaux heavyweights seems to be materializing for the April 4th contest, with reports that a stable of fighters from the team of Stuart "The Fight Doctor" Roberts has made its way up the I-95 corridor from Miami to the DC-area training camp of David "The Hammer" Glasser.

The excitement built even further just before this story went to press, as the flamboyant How scheduled a press conference for tomorrow morning for "an important announcement."
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

you guys are crazy!

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

MAINE TIMES

LYNCH "ON A MISSION" SAYS HOW

Lewiston, Maine (AP)-- The stakes were raised for the much-anticipated DC '09 1980s Bordeaux shootout as renowned lawyer and philanthropist Jimmy L.B. How announced that the 1989 Chateau Lynch Bages-- accepted generally as "the greatest Bordeaux of the past fifty years"-- would indeed participate in the annual BWE event.

"How do we get back our good name?" How asked rhetorically at a packed press conference, referring of course to the controversial defeat to journeyman fighter 1988 Vieux Chateau Certan in the bowels of Tommy "The Hit Man" Wheltle Arena nearly two years ago. "Everyone knows that the fix was in that night," said an animated How. "This time the fight will be on our terms, decided fair and square by twenty-six of the world's best judges of Bordeaux wine."

How said that he and his fighter looked forward to the formidable challenge being presented by the Miami-based stable of Stuart "The Fight Doctor" Roberts at the event scheduled in Washington, D.C., on April 4th, dubbed "Bordeaux from the Golden Decade of the 1980s or... Bordeaux from Before Jean-Nicolas Maltais Could Legally Drive."

"We look forward to taking on the best," said How, acknowledging the quality of the fighters produced consistently from the Roberts gym in Fort Lauderdale. How said that the aging '89 Lynch had gone into a bit of a "dumb phase" following the controversial defeat to VCC two years ago, but that the veteran fighter was "on a mission" to repair its good name.

"I like our chances," said How, before returning to his cellar to resume training with his fighter for the big event in April.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

The Boxing News

How Rocks Heavyweight World
Fisticuffs Threatened

Jimmy "LB" How, flamboyant manager and fight promoter, rocked the boxing world today with a statement that he had reunited with his estranged premier fighter, '89 Lynch Bages, and with news that the ex-champ would appear in Washington, DC for a major showdown against five other heavyweights on April 4. The whereabouts of the '89 Lynch remain unknown, however, leading some in the fight game to speculate about How's motives and question his veracity. "This is a typical 'LB' maneuver, drawing all the attention to himself and casting aspersion on others," said Tommy "The Hit Man" Wheltle when apprised of How's negative comments. "I bet he doesn't even have Bages signed," said Wheltle, adding "You know what the LB stands for, don't you? It sure as shootin' ain't Lynch Bages. It stands for 'Low Blow', and I'll tell you, if that overexposed pansy has the guts to show up in DC, I'll show him the meaning of the word."

How was unavailable for comment.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

If "Low Blow" How is setting himself up for another whuppin', then DC is ready...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

MAINE TIMES

TENSIONS HEIGHTEN AS BIG FIGHT NEARS

Lewiston, Maine (AP)-- Emotions ran high at a late afternoon press briefing held by trial lawyer and philanthropist Jimmy L.B. How at the training camp of the 1989 Chateau Lynch Bages, the undisputed greatest Bordeaux of the past fifty years.

Security officers stepped in quickly to restrain How from scuffling with a reporter who questioned whether the Lynch had suffered a "dumb phase" and gotten "flabby" following a devastating and controversial defeat to journeyman 1988 Vieux Chateau Certan from the camp of Tommy "Hit Man" Wheltle nearly two years ago.

"We'll see how 'dumb' the poor man's Mouton is come April the fourth," bellowed a red-faced How, glasses and tie askew from the brief scuffle. "We'll take on the Miami Five any day of the week! My fighter is ready, with velvety tannins, stunning cedar and lead-pencil, rich black fruit and a finish to die for. We're ready to go right now, let's pop and pour right now and get this over with!"

How said he especially looked forward to taking on the fighters of the "overrated" 1982 vintage from the Miami Five stable of Stuart "The Fight Doctor" Roberts, drawing gasps from the veteran members of the wine press in attendance.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

"glasses and tie askew"???? Jimmy Low Blow How'll be lucky if his head still faces forward after next months' pimp slapping is done...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

MAINE TIMES

HOW PRODUCES NEW VIDEO EVIDENCE UNDERMINING CONTROVERSIAL VCC VICTORY

Lewiston, Maine (AP)-- Famed international trial lawyer and philanthropist Jimmy L.B. How produced yet more evidence today that the "fix was in" two years ago at the upset victory of 1988 Vieux Chateau Certan over 1989 Lynch Bages at a blind tasting in the bowels of Tommy "The Hit Man" Wheltle Arena.

At an early morning press conference before a large contingent of the world wine media, How repeatedly displayed previously unseen slow-motion footage of the 2007 fight. The images appear to indicate conclusively an elaborate effort by three members of Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts-- Tim McCracken, Alex Rychlewski, and Wheltle himself-- to distract How's attention away from the glass of '89 Lynch during the tasting. The evidence indicates clearly that once How's attention was drawn away from the tasting by McCracken and Rychlewski, Wheltle called for an immediate vote in the blind tasting, which resulted in How's erroneous selection of the VCC over the Lynch.

"This was a sad and tragic night in the annals of wine tasting," said a somber How at the end of the video presentation to the stunned veteran wine press. "I thought these were my friends. Come April the fourth, we won't let friendship interfere with what we have to do. We won't let friendship get in the way of our ultimate goal: To re-establish 1989 Lynch Bages to its rightful place as the greatest Bordeaux wine of the last fifty years."

The 1989 Lynch Bages is scheduled to face off against five members of "The Miami Five" fine wine stable in a much-anticipated blind tasting at the annual convention of Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts at Charlie Palmer restaurant in Washington DC on April 4, 2009.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

BNN

1989 Lynch Bages Sighted in Maryland!

Interview and details at 6...
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Breaking News...

1989 Lynch Bages, Broken and Homeless, At DavidG's Compound

Ellicott City, MD (BNN) -- BWE Network News has learned that 1989 Lynch Bages was seen outside the training compound of DavidG "The Hammer" Glasser in suburban Maryland earlier today. Shortly after dawn this morning, a group of hikers came across a homeless man in the woods behind the Glasser training compound. They reported the man to the Howard County police on their return. Hearing radio reports of a person camped out near the "Miami 5" training site, BNN reporter Wolf Blitzkrieg, who had been staking out Glasser's compound in hopes of identifying the fighters, rushed to the scene ahead of the police. He came upon a bedraggled figure huddled in a makeshift lean-to under a fallen tree. Offering a meal and a warm blanket in exchange for information, Blitzkreig was stunned to find himself face to face with 1989 Lynch Bages.

Clearly suffering from months, if not years of neglect, Bages was able to give only a sketchy recounting of his days since his ignoble defeat at the hands of Vieux Chateau Certain. When informed that Jimmy LB How, his former manager, was claiming that that fight had been fixed, Bages commented bitterly that he "wouldn't put anything past that guy to get publicity." Asked if it were true that How was training him for a comeback appearance in DC in May, Bages spat on the ground and asked "do I look like I'm being trained by the famous and wealthy LB How?" He then turned pensive and, reflecting on their days together, said almost wistfully "You know, we had some great years together, Jimmy and I, and some great fights. You got to say one thing for that man, when he's in your corner, he'll do anything for you. And I mean anything." Police arrived before Bages was able to elaborate further.

The former champ looked terrrified as the police prepared to take him into custody. Appartently their presence alerted those inside the Glasser compound, and DavidG himself came out to intervene. It appeared that some deal was struck between Bages, Glasser, and the authorities. Bages was released by the police and escorted by Glasser straight into the training compound. Glasser ignored requests for comment. Other figures could be glimpsed through the compound fencing and windows, but none could be identified.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

MAINE TIMES

HOW REFLECTIVE IN CHARLIE ROSE INTERVIEW

Lewiston, Maine (AP)-- Just two weeks away from the much anticipated 1980s Bordeaux blind tasting at the annual Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts convention held this year in Washington D.C., famed trial attorney and philanthopist Jimmy L.B. How struck a contemplative tone in an interview with television talk show host Charlie Rose.

How's eyes welled when Rose showed him a past photograph, pictured below, of a three liter bottle of 1989 Lynch Bages working out in the How cellar with fellow Medoc heavyweights '96 Leoville Poyferre and '94 Pichon Lalande.

"Those were pretty heady times," said How. "Sure, there are some things I wish I could do over again. But no one can ever take away those two championship wins in Chicago against the Purple Baron in 2001 and 2004."

Interest in the upcoming DC event has been running high as wine media from around the world has descended on the nation's capital to view the upcoming battle of 1980s heavyweights in a blind tasting on April 4th. Many are skeptical that the 1989 Lynch Bages will be able to rebound from a devastating controversial defeat to the 1988 Vieux Chateau Certan two years ago. Competition this year will be particularly strong, with a well-trained cadre of fighters from the Miami-based "Miami Five" camp of Stuart "The Fight Doctor" heavily favored over the aging warrior from the Bages plateau.
Attachments
Lynch 3L.jpg
Lynch 3L.jpg (3.78 KiB) Viewed 9174 times
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Baltimore Sun

How Spotted in Baltimore

Baltimore, Maryland (AP)-- Trial lawyer, philanthropist, and fight manager Jimmy L.B. How was seen in animated conversation with trainer DavidG at Corks restaurant in Baltimore last night. Corks, a local watering hole for those in the fight game, has been the scene of several prominent deals and has hosted a number of local fights.

In parallel developments, unnamed sources connected to the DavidG compound strongly suggest that former champion 1989 Lynch Bages is in training for the upcoming fights in Washington, DC, and is progressing rapidly. Fans will soon have the opportunity to see if he has been able to claw his way back from two years of neglect. He will be facing the "Miami 5," out of Stuart Roberts' stable. Roberts is well-known for turning out rested and impeccably trained fighters.

The meeting in Baltimore comes close on the heels of a television interview in which How seemed unusually subdued and reflective, one in which he came tantalizingly close to offering a mea culpa for the widely publicized split between him and Lynch Bages, once his premier fighter. Speculation is running wild in fight circles as to whether this could signify an attempt at reconciliation between two of the biggest personalities in the sport. How was unavailable for comment, but when reached at his compound, DavidG said that the former champ had a message for How: "We will extend a hand if you are willing to unclench your fist."
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

MAINE TIMES

HOW, LYNCH ARRIVE AT UNION STATION FOR BIG FIGHT

Washington, D.C., (AP)-- Speculation among members of the world wine media came to an end today as international trial lawyer and philanthropist Jimmy L.B. How arrived in the nation's capital with former world champion 1989 Lynch "The Poor Man's Mouton" Bages.

How was in a buoyant mood, signing autographs for onlooking train commuters at Union Station and mugging for cameras with his prized fighter.

"There's been a lot of pain, a lot of emotions in the past two years," said How, referring to the controversial Lynch defeat to journeyman 1988 Vieux Chateau Certan in the bowels of Tommy "The Hit Man" Wheltle Arena in 2007. "All of that is behind us now. It is time to settle this thing once and for all in the ring. This time, we will be ready. This time, we are not going to leave it up to the judges."

The '89 Lynch will be joining the well-trained "Miami Five" fighters of Stuart "The Fight Doctor" Roberts on Saturday night in a blind tasting, winner-take-all battle of "Bordeaux from the Golden Decade of the 1980s, or Bordeaux from Before Nic Could Legally Drive."

How thanked in particular fight promoter David "The Hammer" Glasser for caretaking and nursing the 1989 Lynch during the past two years, following the devastating VCC loss.

"My fighter has aged nicely, has developed even more nuances," said a proud How. "The Glasser cellars provide some of the best provenance in the western hemisphere, and we are expecting a strong showing."

How said he particularly looked forward to reasserting claims to Lynch as "the best Bordeaux since 1961," and said he felt that a victory over the Stuart team would go a long way toward cementing that claim.

On a side note, How also revealed that he had taken time off from the wine fight game since the 2007 defeat, and had undertaken an acoustic guitar song-writing career, resulting in the much-anticipated hit "Driving into Nashville," a song written specifically for Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts Rick and Kathy Julien.

"It'll bring tears to your eyes," said How. "It's easy. Easy like an '89 Lynch and a fresh Maine chocolate whoopie pie on Sunday morning."