TN: Rene LeClerc Gevrey-Chambertin 2005

Chasse-Spleen

TN: Rene LeClerc Gevrey-Chambertin 2005

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Rene LeClerc Gevrey-Chambertin 2005

I bought two bottles of this on release at a great price. I was expecting the usual Rene LeClerc bottling, with the traditional brown label, but got instead what I assume is a domaine wine, a kind of generic looking label that says, 'domaine rene leclerc.' I was worried/wondering but there was no need. The wine is excellent.

A lighter, non-opaque color was followed by a pretty strawberry nose. Seemingly the lighter styled Burgundy pinot, but there were more fireworks to come. The palate was an earthy mix of strawberry and cherry fruit with a streak of iron ore minerality a mile long. This wine trumpeted the profile of the appelation with its earthy, mineral core. Some astringency and firm tannins were evident along with a long finish. Great balance. The only Gevrey that I tried from 2005 - what a pity. I would advise anyone who can get their hands on them or afford them to buy. This is a great vintage for the appellation. Don't want to generalize too broadly but if a generic domaine bottling is this impressive, there has to be something in it. It was excellent, even my father, who is usually quite difficult to please with anything other than CNdP, was impressed.
-Chris