Can anyone tell me about the Parker/Rodenstock dinner?

JimHow

Can anyone tell me about the Parker/Rodenstock dinner?

Post by JimHow »

i know there have been books and articles written about this, but can someone just answer a few questions for me because I'm sort of fascinated by what I perceive to be a flaw in this basic syllogism:

1. Robert Parker affects markets and the flow of millions of dollars in ways that few if any other single human beings on the planet affect any other markets.

2. Robert Parker apparently participated in at least one dinner, tasting, or event (hereinafter referred to as "the Rodenstock event") with an individual named Hardy Rodenstock, a person who, substantial evidence suggests, is a complete and unmitigated fraud.

3. At this event, Robert Parker apparently rated certain wines very high-- 100 points in some cases.

4. Substantial evidence exists to beieve that the wines Mr. Parker rated so high were complete counterfeits.

5. Notwithstanding the fact that Mr. Parker was seriously "duped" at the Rodenstock event, he continues to publish a bi-monthly publication ranking recently released wines, the scores of which seem to have significant impacts on the pricing structure of wines from Bordeaux and other regions and, thus, affect the exchange of many millions of dollars in worldwide wine markets.

This is my summary understanding of the Parker/Rodenstock relationship, and it could be completely wrong, as I have not followed the story that closely.

Can anyone answer the following questions for me:

Has Robert Parker ever explained his financial comitment to the Rodenstock event?
Did he pay for dinner?
Did he pay for his own airfare, hotel, etc.?
What was the price of dinner?
If these wines were as rare as Rodenstock claimed them to be, wouldn't the dinner be worth many thousands of dollars, if the wines could have been sold at auction otherwise?
How many times has Robert Parker met Hardy Rodenstock?
What wines were alleged to have been served at the Rodenstock/Parker dinner?
What were Parker's scores of hese alleged wines?

Thanks for any information on the above.
JimHow
DavidG

Re: Can anyone tell me about the Parker/Rodenstock dinner?

Post by DavidG »

Jim, I've copied the text and TNs from the Rodenstock tasting. You'll have to decide if there are copyright issues here.

Below is the text accompanying the TNs from the Rodenstock tasting, from the eRP website:

LEGENDS OF THE FALL (THE HARDY RODENSTOCK TASTING)
Issue 103 - February 1996

Let me be candid about the fact that I tend to avoid glamour tastings of legendary vintages. Most subscribers never have a chance to taste such wines, so there is limited appeal for readers save for the minuscule number of millionaire collectors who can afford to purchase $10,000-$20,000 bottles of wine. Moreover, organizers of these events tend to cram so many people into the tastings, that the pours are so absurdly low only one or two micro-sips are possible (hardly conducive to making a legitimate judgment).

That being said, for years I have heard about the fabulous tastings conducted by German wine enthusiasts, Helga and Hardy Rodenstock. The tastings are lavish events, with no shortage of controversy. After having declined to participate in several tastings, I met Mr. Rodenstock several times in 1994 and 1995, and discovered that the unkind remarks I had read about him were untrue. A man of extraordinary charm and graciousness, Rodenstock is a true wine lover in the greatest sense of the word, as well as exceptionally knowledgeable, and generous to a fault (he charges nothing for the opportunity to participate in his tastings). His passion for wine history and, of course, the world's greatest wines is irrefutable. Moreover, (1) his conviction that Pomerol has been unjustifiably ignored by the wine press for much of this century, (2) his obsession with finding extraordinarily old bottles of Pomerol from private cellars in Europe, and (3) his unbridled passion and enthusiasm, all combined to put Munich on my itinerary for his 1995 tasting. Not only was the weekend the most extraordinary three days of wine tasting, superb eating, and wine camaraderie that I have ever experienced, but it stands as the wine event of my lifetime. Unbelievably, I was not asked to make a single speech, nor were Michael Broadbent or Hugh Johnson, the other two English language wine writers present. All of the serious wine consumers, who had come from all over the world, were treated the same, and allowed to relax and enjoy what were extraordinarily generous quantities of each wine. To be treated as just another taster and wine enthusiast, on an equal footing with everybody else, was, for me, a compliment!

I realize that many of the tasting notes that follow will only be of academic interest. At the same time, I have a professional responsibility to put on the historical record my tasting notes of some of the most famous wines of the last two centuries. Obviously, tasting notes from the younger vintages will have more relevance to readers than those from ancient vintages, but useful insights regarding the evolution of the great modern day vintages can be gathered from knowing how ancient vintages have developed. I quickly learned that when Hardy Rodenstock referred to a '59 or a '47, I needed to verify whether he was talking about the 19th or 20th century! Lastly, these tastings were complemented by the extraordinary cuisine of Chef Martin Brauer of the Geisel family's Hotel Konigshof in Munich. The cooking was as fine as that in any three-star French restaurant. Additionally, the hospitality and wine service provided by the Geisel family were remarkable in both warmth and professionalism.

To conserve space, I have taken the liberty of eliminating many of the white wine tasting notes. The red wines are listed in the sequence in which they were tasted during the three day event, from Series I to Series VI. Each of these Series lasted for several hours, allowing sufficient time to analyze the wines. The condition of the bottles was extraordinary. No other than Michael Broadbent authenticated the age of the bottles. Longtime readers know that I do not assign old wines any points for historical value. If a one-hundred year old wine receives 90 points, it is because it was outstanding.

Editor's Note: Many years after the tasting described here allegations were made concerning the authenticity of old and rare bottles of wine sold by Hardy Rodenstock to collectors around the world. The matter has been the subject of numerous articles, litigation and at least one book. Mr. Parker believes that the wines served to him at this tasting were authentic so this article and the accompanying notes continue to be posted on eRobertParker.com.

—Robert Parker
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Tasting notes follow, split into several replies as they wont all fit in one message:

1874 Ausone Add to Print List

RATING: 96 points
PRODUCER: Ausone
VARIETY: Bordeaux Blend
DRINK: 1996 - 2036
ESTIMATED COST:
SOURCE: WA, #103
Feb 1996

Except for the 1966 and 1870 vintages of Lafite-Rothschild, these wines were poured on virgin territory on my palate. The other great classics from the last century were remarkable wines, all with original corks, and in extraordinary condition. Their age was authenticated by Michael Broadbent, who is the only person in the world to have the good fortune to have tasted these wines on several occasions. The 1874 Ausone made me think that the reason I have never fully appreciated and understood Ausone is that I have never had the opportunity to wait 121 years for an Ausone to reach full maturity! At this point in the tasting, my tasting notes typified this amazing weekend, as I wrote, "My, my, I prefer the 1874 Ausone to the 1865 Kirwan." The 1874 possessed a sweet, tomato, herb, mineral, and black fruit-scented nose, medium body, glycerin-dominated, chewy, fat flavors, and a gorgeously long, heady, mineral-dominated, sweet finish. This wine may drink well for another 30-40 years. This may indicate that purchasers of Ausone should be buying this estate's wines for their children's children's children!

The notes for this wine are taken from the description of Series V - Flight A of the 1995 tasting conducted in Munich by Helga and Hardy Rodenstock. Many years after the tasting from which this note derives allegations were made concerning the authenticity of old and rare bottles of wine sold by Hardy Rodenstock to collectors around the world. The matter has been the subject of numerous articles, litigation and at least one book. Mr. Parker believes that the wines served to him at this tasting were authentic so this note and the others from that specific tasting continue to be posted on eRobertParker.com.
-Robert Parker

1921 Ausone Add to Print List

RATING: 92 points
DRINK: -
ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

Show Other Tastings For This Wine

The 1921 Ausone was elegant and less viscous than the 1921 Petrus, but still remarkably rich and fragrant. It also revealed more tannin, as well as Ausone's trademark, Medoc-like style. Complex yet sweet aromas of berry fruit intertwined with minerals, dried flowers, and spices were followed by a medium to full-bodied, concentrated, fully mature, well-balanced wine. As the wine sat in the glass, it quickly began to lose its fruit. One of the unmistakable impressions left by the entire Rodenstock tasting (every series was served blind) was how frequently the less-renowned Pomerols and, to a lesser extent, St.-Emilions triumphed over their more renowned and aristocratic brethren from the Medoc and Graves. In the flight of 1921s, the right bank wines were examples of profoundly concentrated, extraordinary Bordeaux.

Other than a handful of 1921s that ranged from several surprisingly strong examples of Montrose, to old, decrepit bottles of Cheval Blanc, this great vintage has largely escaped my palate. But to paraphrase the late A.J. Liebling, "if you can't afford them, then it's nice to know someone who can." 1921 was one of those extremely hot Bordeaux growing seasons (more recently 1947, 1949, 1959, 1982, 1989, and 1990 have enjoyed similar summers and harvests). Because of high alcohol, low acidity, and a certain fragility to the wines, the vintage has always been considered to be very great, but short-lived.. This flight represented an extraordinary, once in a lifetime opportunity to look at some of that vintage's greatest wines - all purchased from private cellars in Europe in pristine condition. Only the Gruaud Larose had been recorked.

The notes for this wine are taken from the description of Series V - Flight A of the 1995 tasting conducted in Munich by Helga and Hardy Rodenstock. Many years after the tasting from which this note derives allegations were made concerning the authenticity of old and rare bottles of wine sold by Hardy Rodenstock to collectors around the world. The matter has been the subject of numerous articles, litigation and at least one book. Mr. Parker believes that the wines served to him at this tasting were authentic so this note and the others from that specific tasting continue to be posted on eRobertParker.com.
-Robert Parker

1949 Ausone Add to Print List

RATING: 87 points
ESTIMATED COST: $1214-$1597
Feb 1996

Ausone's 1949 was the lightest wine in this particular flight, with a medium garnet color revealing considerable rust at the edge. Some attractive mineral and black fruit aromas emerge from what is otherwise an austere, lean, light to medium-bodied, high acid wine - a textbook Ausone - if that is what readers find enticing.

The notes for this wine are taken from the description of Series II - Flight C of the 1995 tasting conducted in Munich by Helga and Hardy Rodenstock. Many years after the tasting from which this note derives allegations were made concerning the authenticity of old and rare bottles of wine sold by Hardy Rodenstock to collectors around the world. The matter has been the subject of numerous articles, litigation and at least one book. Mr. Parker believes that the wines served to him at this tasting were authentic so this note and the others from that specific tasting continue to be posted on eRobertParker.com.
-Robert Parker

1858 Bel Air Add to Print List

RATING: 52 points
PRODUCER: Bel Air
ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

The 1858 Bel Air was shot - oxidized, with earthy, musty aromas and no fruit.
-Robert Parker

1949 Calon Segur Add to Print List

RATING: 94 points
PRODUCER: Calon Segur
DRINK: 1996 - 2016
ESTIMATED COST: $892-$1173
Feb 1996

I have experienced bottle variation with the 1949 Calon-Segur, ranging from bottles that were slightly austere and under-nourished, to those that were superb. This bottle was an outstanding example. It did not possess the weight, unctuosity, and thickness of the 1947, nor the power, youthfulness, and muscle of the 1945. It revealed considerable amber at the edge of its dark garnet color. The nose displayed a Medoc-like, cedar, spice, curranty, mineral, and damp forest scent. Medium to full-bodied, with high tannin, excellent concentration, and an element of over-ripe fruit, this was an impressive, fully mature Calon-Segur that can be drunk now or cellared for another 10-20 years.
-Robert Parker

1947 Calon Segur Add to Print List

ESTIMATED COST:
SOURCE: Bordeaux Book, 3rd Edition, #B1
Jan 1998

The most opulent, generous and decadent Calon-Segur I have ever tasted is the 1947. It revealed considerable amber and rust in its color, but the sweet, jammy nose of fruitcake, cedar, and colossal quantities of unctuously-textured black fruits is the stuff of legend. Thick and rich, with more glycerin, fruit, and alcohol than tannin, this is a juicy, fat wine that has been fully mature for 20+ years. It exhibited no signs of decline or fruit loss. Last tasted 7/97
-Robert Parker

1945 Calon Segur Add to Print List

RATING: 90 points
DRINK: 1996 - 2026
ESTIMATED COST: $1250
Feb 1996

The 1945 Calon-Segur is a powerful, dense, dark garnet-colored wine with plenty of earth, mineral, and black fruits in its nose. Although there is still tannin present, this is a formidably concentrated, thick, hugely extracted, amazingly youthful wine. It can be drunk now or cellared for another 25-30 years.
-Robert Parker

1949 Les Carmes Haut Brion Add to Print List

RATING: 93 points
PRODUCER: Les Carmes Haut Brion
DRINK: 1996 - 2006
ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

The magnum of 1949 Les Carmes-Haut-Brion revealed a singed, sweet, jammy, port-like nose intertwined with scents of tobacco and smoke. It reminded me that my palate tastes too little of this wine, produced from a marvelously well-situated small estate tucked away in Pessac, not far from Haut-Brion and La Mission-Haut-Brion. Full, fleshy, and opulent, it out-performed both Haut-Brion and the unusually strange La Mission-Haut-Brion. Another surprise of the Rodenstock tasting, this bottle, although fully mature, suggested it should continue to drink well for another decade.

The notes for this wine are taken from the description of Series II - Flight C of the 1995 tasting conducted in Munich by Helga and Hardy Rodenstock. Many years after the tasting from which this note derives allegations were made concerning the authenticity of old and rare bottles of wine sold by Hardy Rodenstock to collectors around the world. The matter has been the subject of numerous articles, litigation and at least one book. Mr. Parker believes that the wines served to him at this tasting were authentic so this note and the others from that specific tasting continue to be posted on eRobertParker.com.
-Robert Parker

1921 Cheval Blanc Add to Print List

RATING: 98 points
PRODUCER: Cheval Blanc
ESTIMATED COST: $5463-$7183
Feb 1996

The wine that has always enjoyed the greatest reputation of the vintage is Cheval Blanc's 1921. I had tasted this wine twice before and had been disappointed with both bottles. At this tasting, the wine was unreal. It offered an opaque color with considerable amber at the edge, followed by remarkably fresh, sweet, jammy aromas of black fruits, Asian spices, coffee, herbs, and chocolate. Thick, unctuously-textured, with oodles of fruit, this huge, massive, full-bodied wine must have possessed 14% alcohol. It could easily have been mistaken for the 1947 or 1949. One of the unmistakable impressions left by the entire Rodenstock tasting (every series was served blind) was how frequently the less-renowned Pomerols and, to a lesser extent, St.-Emilions triumphed over their more renowned and aristocratic brethren from the Medoc and Graves. In the flight of 1921s, the right bank wines were examples of profoundly concentrated, extraordinary Bordeaux.

Other than a handful of 1921s that ranged from several surprisingly strong examples of Montrose, to old, decrepit bottles of Cheval Blanc, this great vintage has largely escaped my palate. But to paraphrase the late A.J. Liebling, "if you can't afford them, then it's nice to know someone who can." 1921 was one of those extremely hot Bordeaux growing seasons (more recently 1947, 1949, 1959, 1982, 1989, and 1990 have enjoyed similar summers and harvests). Because of high alcohol, low acidity, and a certain fragility to the wines, the vintage has always been considered to be very great, but short-lived.. This flight represented an extraordinary, once in a lifetime opportunity to look at some of that vintage's greatest wines - all purchased from private cellars in Europe in pristine condition. Only the Gruaud Larose had been recorked.

The notes for this wine are taken from the description of Series V - Flight B of the 1995 tasting conducted in Munich by Helga and Hardy Rodenstock. Many years after the tasting from which this note derives allegations were made concerning the authenticity of old and rare bottles of wine sold by Hardy Rodenstock to collectors around the world. The matter has been the subject of numerous articles, litigation and at least one book. Mr. Parker believes that the wines served to him at this tasting were authentic so this note and the others from that specific tasting continue to be posted on eRobertParker.com.
-Robert Parker

1949 Cheval Blanc Add to Print List

PRODUCER: Cheval Blanc
ESTIMATED COST: $1377-$2095
Feb 1996

I have rated the 1949 Cheval Blanc as high as 100, but more consistently in the mid to upper 90s. It is one of the great Cheval Blancs - not as port-like and syrupy as the 1947, but more classically rendered. But do not take that to mean this is a wimpish wine. It is an unbelievably rich, sweet, expansive, full-bodied style of Cheval Blanc with enormous quantities of glycerin, fruit, alcohol, and extract. Although it has been drinkable for decades, it continues to offer that exotic, Asian spice, cedar, and huge, sweet fruit-scented nose. Unctuously-textured, thick, rich, vibrant, pure, and compelling, it should drink well for another 10-20 years.

-Robert Parker

1947 Clinet Add to Print List

PRODUCER: Clinet
ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

I would argue that the most exciting wines of the twentieth century are the 1947 Pomerols. Although the 1947s from Petrus and Lafleur (both perfect wines) were not included in the Rodenstock tasting, the wines tasted exemplify the number of exhilarating, decadent, and sumptuous wines produced by this tiny appellation.
Clinet made so many mediocre wines in the sixties, seventies, and early eighties that it is easy to believe that the first top wines produced by this estate were the 1987 and 1988. However, as persuasively demonstrated by this magnum of 1947 Clinet, this vineyard has always possessed the potential to produce remarkable wines. In this flight, it was one of the most powerful, concentrated wines, as well as one of the youngest in terms of pure, youthful exuberance. Rich and dense, with an opaque garnet/purple color, this fragrant, intensely rich, over-ripe Clinet exhibited a huge, opulent texture, magnificent concentration and purity, and a long, blockbuster finish with some tannin still lurking behind the wine's massive extract. It should drink well for another 25-30 years.

The notes for this wine are taken from the description of Series III - Flight A of the 1995 tasting conducted in Munich by Helga and Hardy Rodenstock. Many years after the tasting from which this note derives allegations were made concerning the authenticity of old and rare bottles of wine sold by Hardy Rodenstock to collectors around the world. The matter has been the subject of numerous articles, litigation and at least one book. Mr. Parker believes that the wines served to him at this tasting were authentic so this note and the others from that specific tasting continue to be posted on eRobertParker.com.
-Robert Parker

1989 Clinet Add to Print List

RATING: 100 points
PRODUCER: Clinet
DRINK: 2001 - 2030
ESTIMATED COST: $310-$1000
SOURCE: WA, #109
Feb 1997

The 1989's aroma (believe it or not, the first bottle in the blind tasting was badly corked) jumps from the glass, offering up pure scents of flowers, black-raspberries, currants, vanillin, and truffles. Full-bodied, with a seamless texture, fabulous concentration, a massive degree of richness, but no heaviness or awkwardness, this remains one of the most profound young wines I have ever tasted. Its sweetness of fruit and layers of flavor, combined with its remarkable texture are the stuff of legends. Both of these wines are approachable (their high Merlot content ensures them softness), yet they remain largely unevolved. If readers like them young, do not hesitate to drink a bottle or two. Ideally, both the 1989 and 1990 vintages will benefit from 4-5 years of cellaring. Given the 1989's additional flavor extraction and length, it is a 25-30-year wine. Anticipated maturity: 2001-2030.
-Robert Parker

1947 La Conseillante Add to Print List

PRODUCER: La Conseillante
ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

I would argue that the most exciting wines of the twentieth century are the 1947 Pomerols. Although the 1947s from Petrus and Lafleur (both perfect wines) were not included in the Rodenstock tasting, the wines tasted exemplify the number of exhilarating, decadent, and sumptuous wines produced by this tiny appellation.
The 1947 La Conseillante has been fully mature for some time, but its color reveals only modest rust and orange at the rim. It is a more delicate, elegant style of wine, with medium body, sweet black-raspberry fruit intertwined with scents of herbs, smoke, and cedar, and a long, alcoholic, soft finish. Drink it up.

The notes for this wine are taken from the description of Series III - Flight A of the 1995 tasting conducted in Munich by Helga and Hardy Rodenstock. Many years after the tasting from which this note derives allegations were made concerning the authenticity of old and rare bottles of wine sold by Hardy Rodenstock to collectors around the world. The matter has been the subject of numerous articles, litigation and at least one book. Mr. Parker believes that the wines served to him at this tasting were authentic so this note and the others from that specific tasting continue to be posted on eRobertParker.com.
-Robert Parker

1961 La Conseillante Add to Print List

ESTIMATED COST: $1196-$1573
Feb 1996

La Conseillante's 1961 appears to be dropping its fruit and drying out - ever so slightly. It is more angular, with more amber/rust/orange in its color. The tannin in the finish is also becoming aggressive, suggesting this wine has turned the corner and is in decline.

The notes for this wine are taken from the description of Series III - Flight D of the 1995 tasting conducted in Munich by Helga and Hardy Rodenstock. Many years after the tasting from which this note derives allegations were made concerning the authenticity of old and rare bottles of wine sold by Hardy Rodenstock to collectors around the world. The matter has been the subject of numerous articles, litigation and at least one book. Mr. Parker believes that the wines served to him at this tasting were authentic so this note and the others from that specific tasting continue to be posted on eRobertParker.com.
-Robert Parker

1989 La Conseillante Add to Print List

ESTIMATED COST: $290-$482
Feb 1997

I have always thought the 1989 to be the equal of the 1990, although that was not confirmed in this particular tasting. The 1989 revealed a tighter, more backward, restrained style, without the sweet, jammy, spicy, black-cherry/raspberry component that is so pronounced in the 1990. The asterisk beside the 1989's score refers to the two bottles of the 1989 I consumed subsequent to the tasting. I did not think the wine showed as well as it could have in the fall tasting, and my subsequent tasting reinforced that view. This is a mid-ninety point La Conseillante that is very much in the style of the 1990. In comparing the two vintages, the 1989 has slightly more noticeable tannin and structure, but it is a perfumed, exotic, sweet, expansive, yummy wine that is hard to resist. The 1989 and 1990 wines represent La Conseillante's quintessential smooth as silk style, which often leads consumers to believe the wines will not last. I remember feeling the same way about the 1982 (which never tasted as stunning as either the 1989 or 1990). That wine continues to get better and better. One of the unexplainable facts of Bordeaux wine drinking is that even the softer, delicious, up-front wines can age impeccably when well-stored. Owners of the 1989 and 1990 La Conseillantes should not hesitate to enjoy them now, as well as over the next 20 years.
-Robert Parker

1961 La Croix de Gay Add to Print List

RATING: 85 points
PRODUCER: La Croix de Gay
ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

Although the 1961 La Croix de Gay (from a magnum) was elegant, round, fruity, easy-going, and delicious, it was not comparable (qualitatively) with the other wines in this flight.

The notes for this wine are taken from the description of Series III - Flight D of the 1995 tasting conducted in Munich by Helga and Hardy Rodenstock. Many years after the tasting from which this note derives allegations were made concerning the authenticity of old and rare bottles of wine sold by Hardy Rodenstock to collectors around the world. The matter has been the subject of numerous articles, litigation and at least one book. Mr. Parker believes that the wines served to him at this tasting were authentic so this note and the others from that specific tasting continue to be posted on eRobertParker.com.
-Robert Parker

1971 L'Eglise Clinet Add to Print List

PRODUCER: L'Eglise Clinet
ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

The 1971 L'Eglise-Clinet must certainly be one of the wines of the vintage. I remember tasting it early in its life, but I never recognized its quality would be this impressive. Rich and opulent, with extraordinary intensity, and that viscous, thick, succulent, Pomerol personality, this wine could easily rival the two greatest Pomerols of 1971 - Trotanoy and Petrus. Fully mature, it should keep for another decade.

The notes for this wine are taken from the description of Series II - Flight D of the 1995 tasting conducted in Munich by Helga and Hardy Rodenstock. Many years after the tasting from which this note derives allegations were made concerning the authenticity of old and rare bottles of wine sold by Hardy Rodenstock to collectors around the world. The matter has been the subject of numerous articles, litigation and at least one book. Mr. Parker believes that the wines served to him at this tasting were authentic so this note and the others from that specific tasting continue to be posted on eRobertParker.com.
-Robert Parker

1975 L'Eglise Clinet Add to Print List

ESTIMATED COST: $230-$320
Feb 1996

The most surprising wine in the Rodenstock tasting was the 1975 L'Eglise-Clinet. I have always admired this estate and have given some vintages extremely high marks (1985, 1989, 1990), but I had no familiarity with ancient vintages. The surprise of the week-end was the extraordinary quality of L'Eglise-Clinet. The 1975 was nearly as concentrated as L'Evangile and La Mission-Haut-Brion, as well as extremely youthful with a thick, dark ruby/purple color with no signs of age. Sweet and expansive, with jammy fruit, huge body, and tannin, this approachable but youthful wine should evolve effortlessly for another 25-30+ years. I wonder if all the stocks of old vintages of L'Eglise-Clinet are squirreled away in private cellars in Belgium?

The notes for this wine are taken from the description of Series I of the 1995 tasting conducted in Munich by Helga and Hardy Rodenstock. Many years after the tasting from which this note derives allegations were made concerning the authenticity of old and rare bottles of wine sold by Hardy Rodenstock to collectors around the world. The matter has been the subject of numerous articles, litigation and at least one book. Mr. Parker believes that the wines served to him at this tasting were authentic so this note and the others from that specific tasting continue to be posted on eRobertParker.com.
-Robert Parker

1982 L'Eglise Clinet Add to Print List

ESTIMATED COST: $152-$235
SOURCE: WA, #183
Jun 2009

Somewhat past its peak of maturity, the 1982 L’Eglise Clinet reveals plenty of amber at the edge as well as a loosely knit style without the superb concentration found in just about every top vintage from the mid-nineties through 2008. It offers sweet mulberry and kirsch notes along with hints of earth, underbrush, and caramel. Drink it up. Release price: ($150.00/case)
-Robert Parker

1989 L'Eglise Clinet Add to Print List

DRINK: 1997 - 2012
ESTIMATED COST: $199-$600
Feb 1997

While neither the 1989 or 1990 are as spectacular as L'Eglise-Clinet's 1985, 1986, or 1995, they are fine examples of their respective vintages. The 1989 has been variable in recent tastings. The most recent reveals a deep garnet color with an amber edge. The wine exhibited sweet chocolate, jammy black cherry fruit, and lush, precocious, low acid, heady flavors with excellent to outstanding concentration. Some spice and cedar notes emerged with breathing. This fleshy wine appears to be maturing at an accelerated pace. I would opt for drinking it now and over the next 15 years. This particular bottle was more advanced than several other bottles I had in 1996.

-Robert Parker

1921 L'Eglise Clinet Add to Print List

ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

The 1921 I will never forget was the L'Eglise-Clinet. The most youthful of all the 1921s, it displayed an opaque, dark ruby/garnet color, gobs of sweet, jammy, opulent fruit, awesome concentration, high alcohol, and a vintage port-like character. Exhibiting few signs of age, it is a massive example of what Pomerol has done so exceptionally well for so long - make more hedonistic and decadent wines from Merlot and Cabernet Franc that taste better and hold their fruit longer than most Medocs! The 1921 L'Eglise-Clinet and 1921 Petrus were two of the most profoundly great wines I have ever consumed.

One of the unmistakable impressions left by the entire Rodenstock tasting (every series was served blind) was how frequently the less-renowned Pomerols and, to a lesser extent, St.-Emilions triumphed over their more renowned and aristocratic brethren from the Medoc and Graves. In the flight of 1921s, the right bank wines were examples of profoundly concentrated, extraordinary Bordeaux.

The notes for this wine are taken from the description of Series V - Flight B of the 1995 tasting conducted in Munich by Helga and Hardy Rodenstock. Many years after the tasting from which this note derives allegations were made concerning the authenticity of old and rare bottles of wine sold by Hardy Rodenstock to collectors around the world. The matter has been the subject of numerous articles, litigation and at least one book. Mr. Parker believes that the wines served to him at this tasting were authentic so this note and the others from that specific tasting continue to be posted on eRobertParker.com.
-Robert Parker

1945 L'Eglise Clinet Add to Print List

ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

Never tasted before, the remarkable 1945 L'Eglise-Clinet revealed none of the harshness or astringency of many wines from this long-lived vintage. It exhibited a knock-out nose of truffles, vanilla, chocolate, and gobs of black and red fruits, a viscous texture, awesome flavor extraction, massive body, and a finish composed of layers of fruit, glycerin, and alcohol. This is a remarkable wine with a blockbuster finish! Wow! To anybody with old vintages of L'Eglise-Clinet tucked away in their cellars - have I got an offer for you!

The notes for this wine are taken from the description of Series II - Flight D of the 1995 tasting conducted in Munich by Helga and Hardy Rodenstock. Many years after the tasting from which this note derives allegations were made concerning the authenticity of old and rare bottles of wine sold by Hardy Rodenstock to collectors around the world. The matter has been the subject of numerous articles, litigation and at least one book. Mr. Parker believes that the wines served to him at this tasting were authentic so this note and the others from that specific tasting continue to be posted on eRobertParker.com.
-Robert Parker

1947 L'Eglise Clinet Add to Print List

ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

The 1947 L'Eglise-Clinet is a tour de force in wine-making. It is one of the greatest wines I have ever tasted. If only more than 100 points could be bestowed! Opaque purple-colored, with a huge, knock-out nose of black-cherries, cassis, mocha, coffee, tobacco, and Asian spices, it is extremely full-bodied, with layers of glycerin, extract, ripe fruit, and seriously high alcohol. This huge, massive wine is exceptionally well-balanced. L'Eglise-Clinet must be the sleeper chateau of the century! Unfortunately, the small production has ensured that few people have ever tasted this wine.

-Robert Parker

1959 L'Eglise Clinet Add to Print List

DRINK: 1996 - 2021
ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

An extraordinary showing for this wine (which I had never before tasted), the 1959 L'Eglise-Clinet possessed immense body, as well as a huge, knock-out nose of over-ripe cherries, kirsch, Asian spices, fruitcake, and Hagan-Daz's Jamocha Chocolate Chip ice cream. Thick, sweet, and unctuously-textured, this extremely viscous, youthful wine must be tasted to be believed. I would love to find some of this on the auction block! It should outlive the 1961 and continue to drink well for another 20-25 years.

-Robert Parker

1949 L'Eglise Clinet Add to Print List

RATING: 99 points
ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

Virtually perfect, the 1949 L'Eglise-Clinet was one of a series of older vintages from this estate that possessed mind-boggling richness, extraordinary intensity, unctuosity, and that quintessential kirsch/black-cherry essence exhibited by its near-by neighbor, Chateau Lafleur. The 1949 L'Eglise-Clinet revealed an opaque purple color with no signs of lightening at the edge. In the glass, it looked more like port than a dry red table wine. There is extraordinary viscosity, thickness, and extract to this full-bodied, colossal L'Eglise-Clinet. Still young, there is not a hard edge to be found because of the wine's low acidity and ripe tannin. This must be one of the century's most underrated great wines. It should continue to drink well for another 25 years. As disappointing as the 1948 Haut-Brion can be, the 1949 can be outstanding. In this tasting, it revealed some of the textbook cigar, ashtray, tobacco-scented notes, as well as scents of roasted herbs and ripe fruit. The color was a medium garnet with considerable rust at the edge. Medium-bodied, round, sweet, and soft, this wine is past its prime, although it remains exceptional. Drink it up.

-Robert Parker

1950 L'Eglise Clinet Add to Print List

RATING: 95 points
ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

I will continue to extoll the 1950 Pomerols. L'Eglise-Clinet's 1950 is another masterpiece from an appellation and vintage that have been completely ignored. A superb vintage for Pomerol, this soft, velvety-textured, enormously-concentrated, over-ripe wine is oozing with black-cherry and cassis aromas intertwined with smoke, cedar, minerals, and vanilla. This thick, remarkably youthful 1950 L'Eglise-Clinet will offer a hefty, corpulent mouthful of chewy wine for another 10-20 years.

-Robert Parker

1961 L'Eglise Clinet Add to Print List

ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

Another great showing for this under-rated estate, the 1961 L'Eglise-Clinet displayed a saturated, opaque garnet color with some amber/rust at the edge. A huge nose of soy sauce, grilled meats, mocha, chocolate, and jammy cherry fruit is followed by a full-bodied wine with excellent richness, length, and balance. Drink this fully mature, velvety-textured wine over the next decade.

-Robert Parker

1964 L'Eglise Clinet Add to Print List

RATING: 89 points
ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

Sweet and delicious, with a deep ruby/garnet color revealing considerable amber at the edge, the 1964 L'Eglise-Clinet possesses high alcohol and plenty of ripe fruit, but not quite the intensity, richness, or complexity of the 1971. It should be drunk up.

-Robert Parker

1986 Emmerich Knoll Schutt RieslingSpatlese Unterloiben Add to Print List

RATING: points
PRODUCER: Emmerich Knoll
VARIETY: Riesling
ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

Unfortunately, the 1986 Schutt Riesling Spatlese Knoll-Unterloiben was corked and not reviewable.

The notes for this wine are taken from the description of Series II - Flight A of the 1995 tasting conducted in Munich by Helga and Hardy Rodenstock. Many years after the tasting from which this note derives allegations were made concerning the authenticity of old and rare bottles of wine sold by Hardy Rodenstock to collectors around the world. The matter has been the subject of numerous articles, litigation and at least one book. Mr. Parker believes that the wines served to him at this tasting were authentic so this note and the others from that specific tasting continue to be posted on eRobertParker.com.
-Robert Parker

1993 L' Ermita (Alvaro Palacios) Add to Print List

PRODUCER: L' Ermita (Alvaro Palacios)
VARIETY: Proprietary Blend
ESTIMATED COST: $248-$326
Feb 1996

The 1993 L'Ermita, thrown in as a ringer, is from the up and coming northeastern Spain viticultural area of Priorato. Made from old vine Grenache blended with young vine Cabernet Sauvignon, and aged in small oak casks, this oaky, sweet, richly fruity, grapy wine was somewhat of a shock to the palate after the 1900 Palmer. Nevertheless, it displays the potential of this underrated viticultural area that has turned out such superb wines as the Clos Erasmus and Clos L'Orbac. If this wine had not possessed such noticeable oak (which was exaggerated by the lack of new oak aromas in the preceding Bordeaux wines), it might have merited a higher rating.

The notes for this wine are taken from the description of Series I of the 1995 tasting conducted in Munich by Helga and Hardy Rodenstock. Many years after the tasting from which this note derives allegations were made concerning the authenticity of old and rare bottles of wine sold by Hardy Rodenstock to collectors around the world. The matter has been the subject of numerous articles, litigation and at least one book. Mr. Parker believes that the wines served to him at this tasting were authentic so this note and the others from that specific tasting continue to be posted on eRobertParker.com.
-Robert Parker

1975 L'Evangile Add to Print List

PRODUCER: L'Evangile
DRINK: 2000 - 2025
ESTIMATED COST: $597-$784
Feb 1996

Another great wine from the 1975 vintage (isn't it interesting that most of the extraordinary wines of this vintage have emerged from Pomerol?), the 1975 L'Evangile was extremely young in the Rodenstock tasting. Bottles I own are exceptional, but far more advanced. This wine displayed a slight hint of amber, as well as a huge nose of fruitcake, sweet cedar, and gobs of black fruits intermixed with scents of truffles. Interestingly, the only other recent L'Evangile with a bouquet similar to the 1975 is the 1982. Powerful and forceful, with rich, jammy fruit buttressed by high tannin, this full-bodied, superbly extracted wine is soft enough to be approachable, but this bottle remains 5-7 years away from full maturity. Drink the 1975 L'Evangile between 2000-2025.
-Robert Parker

1947 L'Evangile Add to Print List

RATING: 97 points
PRODUCER: L'Evangile
ESTIMATED COST: $8678-$11409
Feb 1996

Another nectar from Pomerol, the 1947 L'Evangile can be a 100-point wine, but in this tasting it was beaten out by the amazing 1947 Latour a Pomerol and L'Eglise-Clinet. An awesome bottle of wine - thick, jammy, and full-bodied, with extraordinary intensity, power, purity, and layers of black fruits, truffles, and cedar, it represents the quintessential style of L'Evangile. It should last for another 15-20 years.

-Robert Parker

1947 La Fleur Petrus Add to Print List

PRODUCER: La Fleur Petrus
ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

It is hard to believe a wine I have rated 90 could be embarrassed in the flight in which it appeared, but that can happen, particularly tasting at the pinnacle of quality represented by this flight. The 1947 La Fleur-Petrus revealed a deep ruby/garnet color, a spicy, floral, berry-scented nose, medium body, some of the unctuosity and viscosity expected in a wine from this vintage, and a soft, round, velvety finish. It has long been fully mature, so drink it up.

-Robert Parker

1961 La Fleur Petrus Add to Print List

DRINK: 1996 - 2011
ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

The 1961 La Fleur-Petrus exhibited a sweet, black truffle aroma that was similar to the 1961 Lafleur, but not nearly the quantity of fruit or viscosity of that wine. Elegant, expansive, and ripe, with outstanding balance, richness and length, this is a fully mature, beautifully preserved wine for drinking over the next 10-15 years.

-Robert Parker

1975 La Fleur Petrus Add to Print List

ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

In this particular flight of 1975s, La Fleur-Petrus was overwhelmed by the competition. It is an outstanding, more restrained style of wine that is still a youthful, healthy dark ruby/purple color with slight amber at the edge. The nose is more restrained and less exuberant than in the other 1975s tasted. Sweet berry fruit is complemented by earth and new oak scents. Medium-bodied, stylish, and concentrated, with forceful tannin, and enough fruit, glycerin, and extract to support further aging, this youthful, delicious wine can be drunk over the next 10-15 years.

-Robert Parker

1961 Gazin Add to Print List

PRODUCER: Gazin
ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

The 1961 Gazin was a fabulous surprise. The wine displayed a knock-out, caramel/chocolate/coffee-scented nose, medium to full body, sweet, expansive, exotic black cherry and fruitcake-like flavors, and a chewy, fleshy, velvety-textured finish. This wine has been fully mature for some time, but it reveals no signs of fruit loss or color degradation.

-Robert Parker

1959 Grand-Puy-Lacoste Add to Print List

PRODUCER: Grand-Puy-Lacoste
ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

The 1959 Grand-Puy-Lacoste exhibited plenty of power and muscle, as well as outstanding concentration in a chunky, husky, Pauillac manner. In 1959, it truly could have been called the "non-wealthy person's Latour."

The notes for this wine are taken from the description of Series VI - Flight A of the 1995 tasting conducted in Munich by Helga and Hardy Rodenstock. Many years after the tasting from which this note derives allegations were made concerning the authenticity of old and rare bottles of wine sold by Hardy Rodenstock to collectors around the world. The matter has been the subject of numerous articles, litigation and at least one book. Mr. Parker believes that the wines served to him at this tasting were authentic so this note and the others from that specific tasting continue to be posted on eRobertParker.com.
-Robert Parker

1921 Gruaud Larose Add to Print List

RATING: 70 points
PRODUCER: Gruaud Larose
ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

The 1921 Gruaud Larose was a disjointed, clumsy, closed, astringently tannic wine with little fruit remaining. Other than a handful of 1921s that ranged from several surprisingly strong examples of Montrose, to old, decrepit bottles of Cheval Blanc, this great vintage has largely escaped my palate. But to paraphrase the late A.J. Liebling, "if you can't afford them, then it's nice to know someone who can." 1921 was one of those extremely hot Bordeaux growing seasons (more recently 1947, 1949, 1959, 1982, 1989, and 1990 have enjoyed similar summers and harvests). Because of high alcohol, low acidity, and a certain fragility to the wines, the vintage has always been considered to be very great, but short-lived.. This flight represented an extraordinary, once in a lifetime opportunity to look at some of that vintage's greatest wines - all purchased from private cellars in Europe in pristine condition. Only the Gruaud Larose had been recorked.

-Robert Parker

1928 Haut Bailly Add to Print List

PRODUCER: Haut Bailly
ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

I have had some great examples of the 1928 Haut-Bailly and this particular bottle was in terrific shape. It exhibited some amber/orange notes at the edge, but plenty of sweet, cedary, tobacco/cigar box-like notes, and plummy fruit presented in a velvety-textured, silky format. It is a stylish and seductive wine without excessive tannin (unlike many 1928s).

-Robert Parker
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

1921 Haut Brion Add to Print List

PRODUCER: Haut Brion
ESTIMATED COST: $2572-$3381
Feb 1996

The 1921 Haut-Brion possessed a dense, impressive color, extremely high tannin levels, and an old, sweaty, leathery, locker-room nose with vague coffee and chocolatey, roasted herb-like flavors. The astringent tannin gave the wine a coarse and disjointed personality.

-Robert Parker

1937 Haut Brion Add to Print List

ESTIMATED COST: $591-$1599
Feb 1996

To everyone's surprise, the 1937 Haut-Brion out-performed the 1947, and the soft, fully mature 1962. 1937 has a justifiable reputation for being a hard vintage, but one could see through the austere, still tannin-dominated 1937 Haut-Brion to admire the healthy, dark, dense color with only some amber at the edge. Minerals, tobacco, cedar, and coffee aromas were followed by a muscular, medium-bodied wine with plenty of power and fruit. But the vintage's tell-tale hard tannin was still present. This particular magnum of 1937 Haut-Brion would have lasted another 20-30+ years. I suspect many 1975s are the modern day clones of the 1937 vintage.

The notes for this wine are taken from the description of Series IV - Flight D of the 1995 tasting conducted in Munich by Helga and Hardy Rodenstock. Many years after the tasting from which this note derives allegations were made concerning the authenticity of old and rare bottles of wine sold by Hardy Rodenstock to collectors around the world. The matter has been the subject of numerous articles, litigation and at least one book. Mr. Parker believes that the wines served to him at this tasting were authentic so this note and the others from that specific tasting continue to be posted on eRobertParker.com.
-Robert Parker

1947 Haut Brion Add to Print List

DRINK: - 1998
ESTIMATED COST: $2352-$4169
Jan 1998

Several tastings of the 1947 (my birth year) has always been too alcoholic, with high levels of acidity, and not enough fruit and flesh to cover the wine's imposing structural components.
-Robert Parker

1959 Haut Brion Add to Print List

ESTIMATED COST: $2000-$4500
Feb 1996

The 1959 Haut-Brion did not live up to expectations. I have had nearly perfect examples of the 1959, often preferring it ever so slightly to the 1961 when tasted side by side. That was not the case in Munich. Although the 1959 was outstanding, it seemed less concentrated, more disjointed, and more evolved than the 1961, displaying a more roasted aromatic profile, and less sweetness and unctuosity than previous bottles.

The notes for this wine are taken from the description of Series IV - Flight D of the 1995 tasting conducted in Munich by Helga and Hardy Rodenstock. Many years after the tasting from which this note derives allegations were made concerning the authenticity of old and rare bottles of wine sold by Hardy Rodenstock to collectors around the world. The matter has been the subject of numerous articles, litigation and at least one book. Mr. Parker believes that the wines served to him at this tasting were authentic so this note and the others from that specific tasting continue to be posted on eRobertParker.com.
-Robert Parker

1961 Haut Brion Add to Print List

DRINK: 1997 - 2005
ESTIMATED COST: $1099-$4575
Jan 1998

The dark garnet-colored 1961 Haut-Brion is pure perfection, with gloriously intense aromas of tobacco, cedar, chocolate, minerals, and sweet red and black fruits complemented by smoky wood. This has always been a prodigious effort (it was the debut vintage for Jean Delmas). It is extremely full-bodied, with layers of viscous, sweet fruit. This wine is akin to eating candy. Consistently an astonishing wine! Anticipated maturity: Now-2005. Last tasted 3/97
-Robert Parker

1962 Haut Brion Add to Print List

RATING: 88 points
ESTIMATED COST: $375-$827
Feb 1996

The 1962 has always been a very fine Haut-Brion, scoring between the upper eighties and low nineties. In this tasting, it was spicy and sweet, with a tobacco, roasted herb, and red and black fruit-scented nose. The wine is lush, round, medium-bodied, and fully mature.

-Robert Parker

1983 Franz Hirtzberger Riesling Spatlese Hochrain Add to Print List

PRODUCER: Franz Hirtzberger
ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

A very strong showing from one of Austria's finest producers, Hirtzberger's completely dry 1983 Riesling Spatlese Hochrain displayed power and intensity, but not the complexity of the Clos Ste.-Hune, and was extremely young and backward.

The notes for this wine are taken from the description of Series II - Flight A of the 1995 tasting conducted in Munich by Helga and Hardy Rodenstock. Many years after the tasting from which this note derives allegations were made concerning the authenticity of old and rare bottles of wine sold by Hardy Rodenstock to collectors around the world. The matter has been the subject of numerous articles, litigation and at least one book. Mr. Parker believes that the wines served to him at this tasting were authentic so this note and the others from that specific tasting continue to be posted on eRobertParker.com.
-Robert Parker

1865 Kirwan Add to Print List

PRODUCER: Kirwan
ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

Except for the 1966 and 1870 vintages of Lafite-Rothschild, these wines were poured on virgin territory on my palate. The other great classics from the last century were remarkable wines, all with original corks, and in extraordinary condition. Their age was authenticated by Michael Broadbent, who is the only person in the world to have the good fortune to have tasted these wines on several occasions. The 1865 Kirwan exhibited a "youthful" orange-tinged, dark garnet color. Sweet cedar combined with smoky, earthy notes jumped from the glass. The wine possessed beautiful, ripe fruit, and surprising density, but some harsh, astringent tannin kept my score from being even higher. Monolithic in style, it was in amazing condition!

-Robert Parker

1832 Lafite-Rothschild Add to Print List

RATING: 83 points
PRODUCER: Lafite-Rothschild
ESTIMATED COST: $13285-$17467
Feb 1996

The 1832 Lafite-Rothschild offered a cigar box, ice tea, herbal-scented nose, fragile, light-bodied, round, diluted flavors, and a quick, hard finish. The fact that this wine still retained some fruit was remarkable. When you consider that every one of the wines in this series except for the 1868 Rausan-Segla was produced before General George A. Custer lost his scalp to some determined native American at Montana's Little Big Horn River, it is humbling to realize the history and longevity of Bordeaux's wines.

The notes for this wine are taken from the description of Series V - Flight C of the 1995 tasting conducted in Munich by Helga and Hardy Rodenstock. Many years after the tasting from which this note derives allegations were made concerning the authenticity of old and rare bottles of wine sold by Hardy Rodenstock to collectors around the world. The matter has been the subject of numerous articles, litigation and at least one book. Mr. Parker believes that the wines served to him at this tasting were authentic so this note and the others from that specific tasting continue to be posted on eRobertParker.com.
-Robert Parker

1848 Lafite-Rothschild Add to Print List

ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

Michael Broadbent has long claimed that the 1848 Lafite-Rothschild was one of the great wines of the last century. In his last tasting in 1988, he awarded it five stars. Seven years later it was again extraordinary! The color was light ruby/garnet, but the exceptionally penetrating bouquet of sweet cedar, ripe, jammy fruit, earth, fruitcake, and lead pencil was followed by a remarkably dense yet elegant wine with exceptional expansion and a velvety texture. It was wonderfully concentrated, sweet, and ripe, with neither the wine's acidity nor tannin showing through its quantity of fruit. It could easily pass for a 45-50 year old wine. Quite stunning, this is truly a legendary wine with an unmistakable Lafite character!

The notes for this wine are taken from the description of Series III - Flight C of the 1995 tasting conducted in Munich by Helga and Hardy Rodenstock. Many years after the tasting from which this note derives allegations were made concerning the authenticity of old and rare bottles of wine sold by Hardy Rodenstock to collectors around the world. The matter has been the subject of numerous articles, litigation and at least one book. Mr. Parker believes that the wines served to him at this tasting were authentic so this note and the others from that specific tasting continue to be posted on eRobertParker.com.
-Robert Parker

1864 Lafite-Rothschild Add to Print List

ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

Except for the 1966 and 1870 vintages of Lafite-Rothschild, these wines were poured on virgin territory on my palate. The other great classics from the last century were remarkable wines, all with original corks, and in extraordinary condition. Their age was authenticated by Michael Broadbent, who is the only person in the world to have the good fortune to have tasted these wines on several occasions. The amber/ruby-colored 1864 Lafite-Rothschild possessed a Mouton-like nose of cedar and cassis, accompanied by surprising intensity and ripeness. In the mouth, the wine revealed remarkable freshness, sweet fruit, surprisingly high alcohol, and wonderful, exotic, Asian spice, tobacco, and Graves-like flavors. There was surprising power and intensity in the finish of this totally delicious, compelling wine!

1865 Lafite-Rothschild Add to Print List

ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

Except for the 1966 and 1870 vintages of Lafite-Rothschild, these wines were poured on virgin territory on my palate. The other great classics from the last century were remarkable wines, all with original corks, and in extraordinary condition. Their age was authenticated by Michael Broadbent, who is the only person in the world to have the good fortune to have tasted these wines on several occasions. The 1865 Lafite-Rothschild was other-worldly. The first word I wrote after smelling it was "wow!". The color is a medium garnet with considerable rust and orange at the edge. The wine possessed an extraordinary fragrance, great density, and fabulous intensity of chocolate, herb, and cedar-like flavors with a wonderful, sweet, inner-core of opulent fruit. The finish is long and velvety, with no hard edges. It is hard to imagine a 130-year old wine (made when American Civil War adversaries, Robert E. Lee and Ulysses S. Grant, were alive) tasting so extraordinary, but I was there - I saw it, I smelled it, I tasted it, and I drank it! Unreal!

-Robert Parker

1870 Lafite-Rothschild Add to Print List

ESTIMATED COST: $11960-$16260
Feb 1996

Except for the 1966 and 1870 vintages of Lafite-Rothschild, these wines were poured on virgin territory on my palate. The other great classics from the last century were remarkable wines, all with original corks, and in extraordinary condition. Their age was authenticated by Michael Broadbent, who is the only person in the world to have the good fortune to have tasted these wines on several occasions. After two disappointing tastings of the immortal 1870 Lafite-Rothschild, the Rodenstock tasting finally provided me a provocative, compelling, profound bottle of this legendary wine. The color is a healthy dark garnet, and the huge nose of freshly sliced celery, mint, cedar, and cassis unfolded quickly, but held in the glass during the 30-40 minutes it remained there before it became just a mere component of my bodily fluids. The wine exhibited sweet fruit, surprising glycerin and opulence for a Lafite, and a sweet, jammy, powerful finish. It is an extraordinary wine!

-Robert Parker

1875 Lafite-Rothschild Add to Print List

ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

Except for the 1966 and 1870 vintages of Lafite-Rothschild, these wines were poured on virgin territory on my palate. The 1875 Lafite-Rothschild was spoiled, having frightful levels of volatile acidity.

-Robert Parker

1921 Lafite-Rothschild Add to Print List

ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

Among the renowned five first-growths of the Medoc and Graves, the two Pauillacs, Lafite-Rothschild and Latour (Mouton was not a first-growth in 1921), were the shining stars. The 1921 Lafite-Rothschild displayed a garnet color with considerable amber on the edge. Its sweet, over-ripe nose of red and black fruits, cedar, herbs, and spices was followed by a medium-bodied, remarkably well-preserved wine with a roasted character. Some acidity began to appear in the finish as the wine sat in the glass, but this is a sweet, fragrant, delicious Lafite that has probably been fully mature for 40-50 years. Other than a handful of 1921s that ranged from several surprisingly strong examples of Montrose, to old, decrepit bottles of Cheval Blanc, this great vintage has largely escaped my palate. But to paraphrase the late A.J. Liebling, "if you can't afford them, then it's nice to know someone who can." 1921 was one of those extremely hot Bordeaux growing seasons (more recently 1947, 1949, 1959, 1982, 1989, and 1990 have enjoyed similar summers and harvests). Because of high alcohol, low acidity, and a certain fragility to the wines, the vintage has always been considered to be very great, but short-lived.. This flight represented an extraordinary, once in a lifetime opportunity to look at some of that vintage's greatest wines - all purchased from private cellars in Europe in pristine condition. Only the Gruaud Larose had been recorked.

-Robert Parker

1966 Lafite-Rothschild Add to Print List

RATING: 84 points
ESTIMATED COST: $500-$1231
Feb 1996

Except for the 1966 and 1870 vintages of Lafite-Rothschild, these wines were poured on virgin territory on my palate. Isn't it ironic that the most disappointing wine (forgetting the spoiled 1875 Lafite-Rothschild, which had frightful levels of volatile acidity) was the youngest wine, the 1966 Lafite. With a light to medium ruby/garnet color, this wine exhibited a classy, weedy, herbal, Cabernet-dominated nose, soft, washed-out flavors, and little body and length. It is also beginning to dry out. I suppose if one were to taste a 30-year old Cabernet from Monterey County, California, it might reveal similar characteristics. The 1966 Lafite-Rothschild has consistently been a major disappointment from what is an irregular, but very good vintage.

-Robert Parker

1961 Lafleur Add to Print List

PRODUCER: Lafleur
DRINK: 1994 - 2014
ESTIMATED COST: $8457-$13008
Feb 1996

I had poor luck with the 1961 Lafleur until several years ago. In four recent tastings, this wine has been at the upper end of my scale. This particular bottle was extremely young, with an opaque garnet/black color, and a powerful nose of black truffles, sweet, over-ripe cherry fruit, and grilled meats. A sensational wine, with huge body, massive extraction, great exuberance, and considerable tannin in the thick, exotic finish, it is not yet close to full maturity.

-Robert Parker

1975 Lafleur Add to Print List

PRODUCER: Lafleur
DRINK: 2010 - 2075
ESTIMATED COST: $3482-$4908
Feb 1996

True to form in this tasting, the 1975 Lafleur is even younger, denser, more powerful, and, yes, more concentrated than the 1975 Petrus. Lafleur possesses a mind-boggling inner-core of highly-extracted fruit, something that was not achieved in such great Lafleurs as 1982, 1985, 1988, 1989, and 1990. Still extremely tannic, with an opaque purple/black/garnet color, the wine exhibits a huge nose of jammy black fruits, earth, minerals, and spice. Massively proportioned, with a boat-load of tannin to shed, this is a wine for the 21st century. This monumental wine may behave like some of the great 1928s. If you own large stocks of the 1975 Lafleur, open a bottle and decant it for about 4-6 hours before drinking. However, if you only have a few bottles in your cellar, I recommend holding them until at least the turn of the century. This is another 50-75 year wine from an irregular, perplexing, yet sometimes exhilarating vintage.

-Robert Parker

1906 Lanessan Add to Print List

RATING: 69 points
PRODUCER: Lanessan
ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

The two vintages of Lanessan, a vastly under-rated, ageworthy estate not far from the appellation of St.-Julien, were still clinging to life. The 1906 exhibited a light amber/orange-like color, vague cedar notes in the nose that quickly turned to volatile acidity, and musty cellar smells. High acid and the absence of fruit made this wine a candidate for vintage vinegar. That being said, the nose was complex, at least for a brief period, but the fruit is dried out and the wine barely alive.

The notes for this wine are taken from the description of Series III - Flight C of the 1995 tasting conducted in Munich by Helga and Hardy Rodenstock. Many years after the tasting from which this note derives allegations were made concerning the authenticity of old and rare bottles of wine sold by Hardy Rodenstock to collectors around the world. The matter has been the subject of numerous articles, litigation and at least one book. Mr. Parker believes that the wines served to him at this tasting were authentic so this note and the others from that specific tasting continue to be posted on eRobertParker.com.
-Robert Parker

1914 Lanessan Add to Print List

RATING: 76 points
PRODUCER: Lanessan
ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

The two vintages of Lanessan, a vastly under-rated, ageworthy estate not far from the appellation of St.-Julien, were still clinging to life. The 1914 Lanessan was in slightly better shape than the 1906, with an attractive sweet, curranty, cedar-like nose, high tannin on the palate, some fruit, and a medium-bodied, tart, acidic finish. There is a hole in the middle, but the wine has some life left in it, which is more than can be said for many humans born in 1914.

-Robert Parker

1921 Latour Add to Print List

PRODUCER: Latour
ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

Among the renowned five first-growths of the Medoc and Graves, the two Pauillacs, Lafite-Rothschild and Latour (Mouton was not a first-growth in 1921), were the shining stars. The 1921 Latour exhibited the densest color of the Medocs, with a moderately dark ruby/garnet color with an amber/orange rim. Tannin dominated the high alcohol flavors. This wine revealed a port-like texture, with notes of fruitcake, coffee, tobacco, and over-ripe fruit. Although it is losing its balance as the tannin becomes dominant (at the expense of the wine's fruit, this is still a flavorful, full-bodied, intriguing example of Latour that has remained an outstanding wine. Other than a handful of 1921s that ranged from several surprisingly strong examples of Montrose, to old, decrepit bottles of Cheval Blanc, this great vintage has largely escaped my palate. But to paraphrase the late A.J. Liebling, "if you can't afford them, then it's nice to know someone who can." 1921 was one of those extremely hot Bordeaux growing seasons (more recently 1947, 1949, 1959, 1982, 1989, and 1990 have enjoyed similar summers and harvests). Because of high alcohol, low acidity, and a certain fragility to the wines, the vintage has always been considered to be very great, but short-lived.. This flight represented an extraordinary, once in a lifetime opportunity to look at some of that vintage's greatest wines - all purchased from private cellars in Europe in pristine condition. Only the Gruaud Larose had been recorked.

-Robert Parker

1945 Latour Add to Print List

ESTIMATED COST: $2999
SOURCE: WA, #129
Jun 2000

This has always been an irregular vintage. I purchased a mixed case of the 1945 Latour, some of which had been reconditioned at the Chateau and others with the original corks. Those with the original corks always seemed to be the best, with a handful of them meriting ratings in the 95-98 range.

This particular bottle revealed the austerity and mouth-searing tannin levels that afflict so many 1945s. However, the aromatics were top-flight, revealing scents of dried fruit, tobacco, smoke, earth, and soy. In the mouth, the wine is medium-bodied, attenuated, and just beginning to lose its fruit, exhibiting austerity and astringent tannin. Nevertheless, this is an example where each bottle may be considerably different.
-Robert Parker

1959 Latour Add to Print List

DRINK: 2000 - 2010
ESTIMATED COST: $1854-$4500
SOURCE: WA, #129
Jun 2000

Dark garnet with an amber edge, the 1959 Latour reveals a touch of volatile acidity in the nose, along with aromas of melted caramel, tobacco, and jammy red and black fruits. As the wine sat in the glass, notes of minerals, coffee, spice, and underbrush emerged. There is still copious tannin in the finish (I am not sure it will ever be fully resolved), but this sumptuous, complex, fragrant, super-rich Latour cuts a broad swath across the palate. Fully mature, it is best consumed over the next decade.
-Robert Parker

1947 Latour a Pomerol Add to Print List

PRODUCER: Latour a Pomerol
ESTIMATED COST: $5322-$6997
Feb 1996

I have been blessed to have tasted the 1947 Latour a Pomerol several times. Several times I have rated it a perfect 100. It is a slightly older clone of the candidate for the wine of the century - the 1961 Latour a Pomerol. The 1947 exhibited an extraordinary opaque purple color with only some lightening at the edge. This exotic, mammoth, seductive, awesomely concentrated wine goes on and on in the mouth. It is reminiscent of a cross between the 1947 Cheval Blanc and the 1947 Petrus. Sweet, dense, and mind-boggling, what else can be said about something so perfect and thrilling. Akin to eating candy, it should drink well for another 20 years.

-Robert Parker

1959 Latour a Pomerol Add to Print List

PRODUCER: Latour a Pomerol
DRINK: 1994 - 2004
ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

Among the 1959s, Latour and two of the three Pomerols, Latour a Pomerol and L'Eglise-Clinet, stole the show. I have previously enjoyed the greatness of the 1959 Latour a Pomerol. Once again this wine exhibited huge, coffee, melted caramel, sweet jammy red and blackcurrant/cherry-scented nose and flavors. Unctuous, thick, and oh, so decadently rich, this blockbuster Pomerol is fully mature, and needs to be drunk up, an enticing proposition for the fortunate few who still possess this wine.

The notes for this wine are taken from the description of Series VI - Flight A of the 1995 tasting conducted in Munich by Helga and Hardy Rodenstock. Many years after the tasting from which this note derives allegations were made concerning the authenticity of old and rare bottles of wine sold by Hardy Rodenstock to collectors around the world. The matter has been the subject of numerous articles, litigation and at least one book. Mr. Parker believes that the wines served to him at this tasting were authentic so this note and the others from that specific tasting continue to be posted on eRobertParker.com.
-Robert Parker

1945 Lynch Bages Add to Print List

PRODUCER: Lynch Bages
ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

A relatively strong showing for the 1945 Lynch Bages, this wine exhibited a minty, cassis-scented nose that did indeed seem reminiscent of the "poor man's Mouton-Rothschild." A dense, opaque ruby/garnet color was followed by a full-bodied, powerful, but tough-textured, hard, astringently tannic wine that may lose its fruit before the tannin fully melts away. Although impressive for its overall size and intensity, this wine will never win any awards for grace and harmony. It will keep for another 15-20 years.

The notes for this wine are taken from the description of Series II - Flight B of the 1995 tasting conducted in Munich by Helga and Hardy Rodenstock. Many years after the tasting from which this note derives allegations were made concerning the authenticity of old and rare bottles of wine sold by Hardy Rodenstock to collectors around the world. The matter has been the subject of numerous articles, litigation and at least one book. Mr. Parker believes that the wines served to him at this tasting were authentic so this note and the others from that specific tasting continue to be posted on eRobertParker.com.
-Robert Parker

1959 Malescot-St-Exupery Add to Print List

PRODUCER: Malescot-St-Exupery
ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

The fully mature 1959 Malescot St.-Exupery was an impressive, complex, cedary, fragrant, classy wine with wonderful softness and harmony.

-Robert Parker

1921 Chateau Margaux Add to Print List

PRODUCER: Chateau Margaux
ESTIMATED COST: $2119-$2786
Feb 1996

The 1921 Chateau Margaux revealed a light color with considerable rust and orange. Some melted road tar as well as maderized notes came out of this perfumed but dried out wine. Rather light-bodied (today's vintages are far more muscular and concentrated), this wine lacked balance, and was slightly disjointed and losing its fruit. Other than a handful of 1921s that ranged from several surprisingly strong examples of Montrose, to old, decrepit bottles of Cheval Blanc, this great vintage has largely escaped my palate. But to paraphrase the late A.J. Liebling, "if you can't afford them, then it's nice to know someone who can." 1921 was one of those extremely hot Bordeaux growing seasons (more recently 1947, 1949, 1959, 1982, 1989, and 1990 have enjoyed similar summers and harvests). Because of high alcohol, low acidity, and a certain fragility to the wines, the vintage has always been considered to be very great, but short-lived.. This flight represented an extraordinary, once in a lifetime opportunity to look at some of that vintage's greatest wines - all purchased from private cellars in Europe in pristine condition. Only the Gruaud Larose had been recorked.

-Robert Parker

1949 La Mission Haut Brion Add to Print List

RATING: 91 points
PRODUCER: La Mission Haut Brion
ESTIMATED COST: $2309-$3526
Feb 1996

Among all the wines in the Rodenstock tasting, the 1949 La Mission-Haut-Brion proved to be the most controversial. It had been recorked with what appeared to be an authentic cork, and the label was a faithful representation. However, the wine tasted similar to a cheap Chilean Merlot. Darkly-colored, soft and fruity, but one-dimensional and monolithic, despite the authenticity of the bottle and the cork, this could not have been the 1949 La Mission-Haut-Brion. I have had the 1949 La Mission numerous times, consistently rating it between the mid-nineties to 100. This magnum tasted suspicious, to put it diplomatically.

-Robert Parker

1975 La Mission Haut Brion Add to Print List

PRODUCER: La Mission Haut Brion
DRINK: 1996 - 2040
ESTIMATED COST: $699-$1665
Feb 1996

The 1975 La Mission-Haut-Brion has been the most consistent wine of the vintage. Super-concentrated, and now beginning to shed enough tannin so that it can be fully appreciated, this enormously constituted La Mission-Haut-Brion has developed that fabulous Graves set of aromatics - tobacco, black fruits, minerals, roasted herbs, and cedar. Huge, massive, thick, and succulent, with moderate tannin, and some amber notes at the edge, this wine will reach full maturity by the turn of the century and last for 30-40 years. An extraordinary La Mission-Haut-Brion, it comes closest in style to resembling the 1945, with a hint of the sweet, ripe 1959.

-Robert Parker

1921 Montrose Add to Print List

RATING: (74-90) points
PRODUCER: Montrose
ESTIMATED COST: $693-$911
Jan 1998

The 1921 Montrose (74-90? points; tasted four times in 1995 and 1996) is variable. In one tasting, the wine started off with a promising nose of cedar, smoked meats, and a peppery, Rhone-like character, but high acidity and ferocious tannin dominated the meager flavors. Other tastings have revealed a rich, sweet, opulently-textured wine that was alive and still endowed with considerable fruit. The finest bottle, from the Paris wine merchant, Nicolas, was drunk in 1996 at my favorite restaurant in North America, New York City's Daniel. That bottle was marvelous (meriting a 93 point score)!
-Robert Parker

1921 Mouton-Rothschild Add to Print List

RATING: 72 points
PRODUCER: Mouton-Rothschild
ESTIMATED COST: $2276-$4750
Feb 1996

The 1921 Mouton-Rothschild offered a ruby/garnet color, and an old, musty nose with hints of cedar, ginger, and jammy fruit. In the mouth, the wine was acidic, sinewy, compact, and angular, with no charm, fat, or fruit. Moreover, there was excessive tannin in the finish. Interestingly, the minty side of Mouton was still noticeable in the wine's aromatics.

-Robert Parker

1945 Mouton-Rothschild Add to Print List

DRINK: 1997 - 2047
ESTIMATED COST: $9000-$31744
Jan 1998

A consistent 100-point wine (only because my point scale stops at that number), the 1945 Mouton-Rothschild is truly one of the immortal wines of the century. This wine is easily identifiable because of its remarkably exotic, over-ripe, sweet nose of black fruits, coffee, tobacco, mocha, and Asian spices. It is an extraordinarily dense, opulent, and rich wine, with layers of creamy fruit, behaveing more like a 1947 Pomerol than a structured, powerful, and tannic 1945. The wine finishes with a 60+ second display of ripe fruit, extract, and sweet tannin. This remarkably youthful wine (only light amber at the edge) is mindboggling! Will it last another 50 years? Last tasted 8/97.
-Robert Parker

1947 Mouton-Rothschild Add to Print List

DRINK: 1994 - 2009
ESTIMATED COST: $2800-$5256
Jan 1998

I have never had anything but extraordinary, decadent, fabulously rich, concentrated bottles of the 1947 Mouton-Rothschild. The exotic, ostentatious bouquet of ginger, mint, coffee, cedar, and gobs of cassis fruit is followed by a syrupy, viscously-textured, thick, juicy Mouton that is bursting with fruit. Although drinkable since I first tasted it over a decade ago, it exhibits no signs of fruit loss or color deterioration. It is one of the most exotic and opulent Mouton-Rothschilds I have ever tasted. Last tasted 7/97.
-Robert Parker

1900 Palmer Add to Print List

PRODUCER: Palmer
ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

Given the justifiably legendary reputation of Chateau Margaux, one would think that Chateau Palmer would be a noteworthy rival in this great vintage shaped by abundant sunshine, heat, and drought. The 1900 Palmer was still remarkable - vibrant and well-colored. Although there was significant amber at the edge, the color remained a healthy dark garnet in the middle. A huge nose of sweet, jammy fruit, flowers, and spices could have easily come from a 25-30 year old wine. Sweet and succulent on the palate, with what must be a high percentage of Merlot, this seductive, sprawling wine proves just how long great Bordeaux can not only survive, but develop. An astonishing bottle of 1900 Palmer!

-Robert Parker

1921 Chateau Parempuyre Add to Print List

RATING: 65 points
PRODUCER: Chateau Parempuyre
ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

The 1921 Chateau Parempuyre (today this is Chateau Clement-Pichon) exhibited an extremely old, rusty color, as well as a nose of damp, dirty, mushroomy smells. The wine revealed some fruit, but it is just barely alive. Other than a handful of 1921s that ranged from several surprisingly strong examples of Montrose, to old, decrepit bottles of Cheval Blanc, this great vintage has largely escaped my palate. But to paraphrase the late A.J. Liebling, "if you can't afford them, then it's nice to know someone who can." 1921 was one of those extremely hot Bordeaux growing seasons (more recently 1947, 1949, 1959, 1982, 1989, and 1990 have enjoyed similar summers and harvests). Because of high alcohol, low acidity, and a certain fragility to the wines, the vintage has always been considered to be very great, but short-lived.. This flight represented an extraordinary, once in a lifetime opportunity to look at some of that vintage's greatest wines - all purchased from private cellars in Europe in pristine condition. Only the Gruaud Larose had been recorked.

-Robert Parker
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

1989 Petrus Add to Print List

PRODUCER: Petrus
DRINK: 1997 - 2027
ESTIMATED COST: $2950-$5878
Jan 1998

Multi-millionaire collectors will have fun comparing the 1989 and 1990 Petrus. The 1989 has a slightly more saturated color, and seems more tightly knit both aromatically and on the palate. However, this is splitting hairs, as this is another stunningly opulent, rich, full-bodied, amazingly concentrated, exotic, flamboyant Petrus that remains remarkably youthful, and in need of 7-8 more years of bottle age. Additionally, the tannins are slightly more elevated, at least from a tactile impression. However, the 1989 looks to be another 30-year wine, with extraordinary equilibrium between all of its component parts. An amazing effort! Last tasted 11/97
-Robert Parker

1983 Petrus Add to Print List

ESTIMATED COST: $1096-$2000
Feb 1996

Talk about a thrill a second, as well as unprecedented decadence (at least for me), consider the rarity of a flight of six double magnums of Petrus! Because there were not many people at the tasting, there was the possibility of having several large glasses of these wines, making judging them all the more fun. And let's not forget the medical benefit of flushing the fat out of one's arteries with such remarkable juice! The fully mature 1983 Petrus (even from double magnums) is a weedy, herbaceous, vegetal-scented wine with plenty of sweet, somewhat disjointed fruit flavors, medium to full body, and copious quantities of glycerin and alcohol that are not entirely balanced by fruit. It is just not as harmonious or well-balanced as it should be. Drink it over the next 5-10 years. I have never been especially enamored with this vintage of Petrus.

The notes for this wine are taken from the description of Series IV - Flight B of the 1995 tasting conducted in Munich by Helga and Hardy Rodenstock. Many years after the tasting from which this note derives allegations were made concerning the authenticity of old and rare bottles of wine sold by Hardy Rodenstock to collectors around the world. The matter has been the subject of numerous articles, litigation and at least one book. Mr. Parker believes that the wines served to him at this tasting were authentic so this note and the others from that specific tasting continue to be posted on eRobertParker.com.
-Robert Parker

1988 Petrus Add to Print List

DRINK: 2003 -
ESTIMATED COST: $1297-$2300
Feb 1996

The 1988 Petrus is reassuringly outstanding, but it is not a prodigious Petrus. The healthy dark ruby/purple color is followed by a young, backward wine with high tannin levels, medium body, and an inner-core of sweet, ripe fruit. It needs another 7-10 years of cellaring.

-Robert Parker

1975 Petrus Add to Print List

DRINK: 2000 - 2050
ESTIMATED COST: $1806-$3600
Feb 1996

The 1975 Petrus reveals a youthful, rustic, brutally powerful style, with an opaque garnet/ruby/purple color, and an emerging nose of over-ripe black-cherries, mocha/chocolate, and truffles. Extremely full-bodied, ferociously tannic, but awesomely concentrated, the 1975 Petrus can be drunk, provided readers have a penchant for slightly uncivilized wines. This behemoth Petrus (the last made in this style) is at least a decade away from full maturity. It is potentially a 50 year wine, with exquisite concentration and intensity.

-Robert Parker

1976 Petrus Add to Print List

ESTIMATED COST: $903-$1677
Feb 1996

Talk about a thrill a second, as well as unprecedented decadence (at least for me), consider the rarity of a flight of six double magnums of Petrus! Because there were not many people at the tasting, there was the possibility of having several large glasses of these wines, making judging them all the more fun. And let's not forget the medical benefit of flushing the fat out of one's arteries with such remarkable juice!

The 1976 Petrus has been fully mature since it was released. The wine has always possessed intense aromas of over-ripe tomatoes, roasted vegetables, and red and black fruits touched by sweet toasty oak. It continues to be a pleasing, fat style of Petrus, without the body, weight, and depth of a great year. It needs to be drunk up.

The notes for this wine are taken from the description of Series IV - Flight B of the 1995 tasting conducted in Munich by Helga and Hardy Rodenstock. Many years after the tasting from which this note derives allegations were made concerning the authenticity of old and rare bottles of wine sold by Hardy Rodenstock to collectors around the world. The matter has been the subject of numerous articles, litigation and at least one book. Mr. Parker believes that the wines served to him at this tasting were authentic so this note and the others from that specific tasting continue to be posted on eRobertParker.com.
-Robert Parker

1978 Petrus Add to Print List

RATING: 83 points
ESTIMATED COST: $1060-$1399
Feb 1996

I have never been a fan of the 1978 Petrus, but even I was ready to give it the benefit of doubt and be seduced when it was served out of an Imperial. The wine revealed a medium ruby color, followed by an herb, under-ripe tomato, vegetal nose, medium body, and average flavor concentration and length. It is neither distinguished nor Pomerol-like. It is hard to believe that auction prices for vintages such as 1978, or for that matter 1979, can remain so high, but Petrus has a mystique unlike any other red wine of France.

-Robert Parker

1979 Petrus Add to Print List

RATING: 86 points
DRINK: 1993 - 2013
ESTIMATED COST: $1000-$1911
Feb 1996

I remember how stunning the 1979 Petrus was from cask, but it has never lived up to its early potential. Even from an Imperial, the 1979 Petrus is a lean, compact, tannic, hard, austere wine lacking the richness and charm of the vintage's top Pomerols. The color was a healthy medium ruby. While the wine does not possess the vegetal overtones of the 1978, it leaves a great deal to be desired.

-Robert Parker

1980 Petrus Add to Print List

ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

Talk about a thrill a second, as well as unprecedented decadence (at least for me), consider the rarity of a flight of six double magnums of Petrus! Because there were not many people at the tasting, there was the possibility of having several large glasses of these wines, making judging them all the more fun. And let's not forget the medical benefit of flushing the fat out of one's arteries with such remarkable juice! The 1980 Petrus turned in a surprisingly strong performance. A roasted herb, melted road tar, and sweet, jammy-scented nose is followed by a rich, medium to full-bodied wine with considerable length. It appears to have become more impressive with age. Could this wine really be superior to the 1981 and 1979? It is fully mature, so drink it over the next decade.

-Robert Parker

1981 Petrus Add to Print List

RATING: 86 points
ESTIMATED COST: $950-$1411
Feb 1996

Served blind, it was interesting to pair the 1981 Le Pin with the 1981 Petrus. I remember how thrilling the 1981 Petrus was from cask, but it has never performed as well from bottle. I have continued to downgrade it. In this tasting, the wine exhibited an understated, light, washed-out personality, with vegetal cherry/coffee-flavored fruit in the nose intermingled with scents of spicy oak. Tart, lean, and austere, this is a Medoc-like tasting wine without any of the Petrus sweetness, chewiness, or unctuosity. This must be one of the most over-rated wines of the past two decades. As there was virtually no sediment in this 16-year old wine, I wonder if it was excessively fined and/or filtered?

The notes for this wine are taken from the description of Series IV - Flight A of the 1995 tasting conducted in Munich by Helga and Hardy Rodenstock. Many years after the tasting from which this note derives allegations were made concerning the authenticity of old and rare bottles of wine sold by Hardy Rodenstock to collectors around the world. The matter has been the subject of numerous articles, litigation and at least one book. Mr. Parker believes that the wines served to him at this tasting were authentic so this note and the others from that specific tasting continue to be posted on eRobertParker.com.
-Robert Parker

1982 Petrus Add to Print List

DRINK: 2009 - 2024
ESTIMATED COST: $3349-$8000
SOURCE: WA, #183
Jun 2009

Given what I thought this wine would achieve, the 1982 Petrus has not turned out to be nearly as profound as expected. It reveals a certain herbaceousness, and there is significantly less concentration than I initially believed (too much filtration?) along with a cedary spiciness. Tasters who have had no previous experience with this wine will find it to be an outstanding effort that has reached full maturity much faster than some of its peers. It is capable of lasting a long time, but there is an underlying vegetal character, and the 1982 is far less concentrated than the vintages of Petrus that have been produced since 1989. I believe this wine is fully mature, and is capable of lasting another 10-15 years, but it is unlikely to improve. Release price: ($600.00/case)
-Robert Parker

1961 Petrus Add to Print List

DRINK: 1994 - 2009
ESTIMATED COST: $4572-$16260
Feb 1996

An estate only needs to produce a handful of wines such as the 1961 Petrus to garner an international following. Not surprisingly, the 1961 Petrus was pure perfection. This fully mature wine possesses a port-like richness (reminiscent of the 1947 Petrus and 1947 Cheval Blanc). The color revealed considerable amber and garnet, but the wine is crammed with viscous, thick, over-ripe black-cherry, mocha-tinged fruit flavors. Extremely full-bodied, with huge amounts of glycerin and alcohol, this unctuously-textured, thick wine makes for an awesome mouthful. Imagine a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup laced with layers of coffee and cherry, and encased in a shell of Valrhona chocolate!

-Robert Parker

1962 Petrus Add to Print List

ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

The 1962 and 1959 Petrus were two of the finest bottles I have ever tasted of these vintages. The fully mature 1962 was reminiscent of a Medoc, with its minty, chocolatey, herbal, cedary-scented nose, medium-bodied, well-proportioned flavors, and structured personality. The wine still possesses a healthy dark ruby color with only slight amber at the edge. Although not that powerful or opulent, it is an outstanding example of Petrus made in a more graceful, elegant manner. Tasted blind, I would never have picked it out as a Pomerol.

The notes for this wine are taken from the description of Series IV - Flight A of the 1995 tasting conducted in Munich by Helga and Hardy Rodenstock. Many years after the tasting from which this note derives allegations were made concerning the authenticity of old and rare bottles of wine sold by Hardy Rodenstock to collectors around the world. The matter has been the subject of numerous articles, litigation and at least one book. Mr. Parker believes that the wines served to him at this tasting were authentic so this note and the others from that specific tasting continue to be posted on eRobertParker.com.
-Robert Parker

1970 Petrus Add to Print List

ESTIMATED COST: $1943-$2554
SOURCE: WA, #105
Jun 1996

The 1970 Petrus has developed magnificently over the last 4-5 years. Tight and reserved early in life, it has blossomed into a true blockbuster. This massive, highly-extracted, full-bodied, jammy, thick, unctuously-textured wine possesses a huge, spice, tobacco, black-cherry, mocha-scented nose. It is a real turn-on. The wine is fully mature, but it has at least 20 years of life remaining. A spectacular Petrus, it is now superior to the 1971, which out-performed it for nearly two decades. Owners of this wine have a true nectar in their cellars.
-Robert Parker

1959 Petrus Add to Print List

ESTIMATED COST: $5819-$10000
Feb 1996

The 1962 and 1959 Petrus were two of the finest bottles I have ever tasted of these vintages. The 1959 was unctuous, sweet, gloriously fruity, thick, and jammy, with gobs of glycerin, full body, and a viscous, long, heady finish. Fully mature, but revealing considerable intensity and life, this wine that will drink well for another 10-15 years.

-Robert Parker

1921 Petrus Add to Print List

ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

The 1921 Petrus (never before tasted) was, to state it mildly, out of this universe! The opaque color displayed considerable amber at the edge, but the blockbuster nose of black-raspberries, freshly brewed coffee, and mocha/toffee-like candy was followed by one of the sweetest, most opulent, thick, juicy wines I have ever tasted. Extraordinarily rich and opulent, with interesting cedar notes to the succulent flavors, this huge, unbelievably concentrated wine could have been mistaken for the 1950 or 1947. If ever I were to kill for a wine .....

The 1921 L'Eglise-Clinet and 1921 Petrus were two of the most profoundly great wines I have ever consumed.

One of the unmistakable impressions left by the entire Rodenstock tasting (every series was served blind) was how frequently the less-renowned Pomerols and, to a lesser extent, St.-Emilions triumphed over their more renowned and aristocratic brethren from the Medoc and Graves. In the flight of 1921s, the right bank wines were examples of profoundly concentrated, extraordinary Bordeaux.

-Robert Parker

1929 Petrus Add to Print List

ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

Talk about a thrill a second, as well as unprecedented decadence (at least for me), consider the rarity of a flight of six double magnums of Petrus! Because there were not many people at the tasting, there was the possibility of having several large glasses of these wines, making judging them all the more fun. And let's not forget the medical benefit of flushing the fat out of one's arteries with such remarkable juice!

I had never seen, much less tasted the 1929 Petrus. The wine was perfect. The deep ruby/garnet color exhibited some amber/orange at the edge. A huge, thick wine with extraordinary aromas of coffee, mocha, black-cherries, herbs, and cedar, this unctuously-textured, thick, tannic, massively concentrated wine was remarkably intact. It could have easily been mistaken for a 30-35 year old wine. This must be one of the rarest wines in the world as even Christian Moueix claimed he had never tasted it.

-Robert Parker

1981 Le Pin Add to Print List

PRODUCER: Le Pin
ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

Served blind, it was interesting to pair the 1981 Le Pin with the 1981 Petrus. The 1981 Le Pin had not lost any of its toasty new oak character. It offered a medium ruby color and some herbaceous, sweet, black-cherry notes. Medium-bodied, elegant, soft, and fully mature, it tasted very good rather than exceptional. My previous encounters with this wine were much more memorable.

-Robert Parker

1847 Rauzan-Segla (Rausan-Segla) Add to Print List

RATING: 70 points
PRODUCER: Rauzan-Segla (Rausan-Segla)
ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

The 1847 Rausan-Segla (produced 100 years before I was born) revealed a pungent, barnyard-like, fecal aroma, some sweetness, but it was largely unattractive with stale incense-like smells, hard tannin, and little fruit. When you consider that every one of the wines in this series except for the 1868 Rausan-Segla was produced before General George A. Custer lost his scalp to some determined native American at Montana's Little Big Horn River, it is humbling to realize the history and longevity of Bordeaux's wines.

The notes for this wine are taken from the description of Series V - Flight C of the 1995 tasting conducted in Munich by Helga and Hardy Rodenstock. Many years after the tasting from which this note derives allegations were made concerning the authenticity of old and rare bottles of wine sold by Hardy Rodenstock to collectors around the world. The matter has been the subject of numerous articles, litigation and at least one book. Mr. Parker believes that the wines served to him at this tasting were authentic so this note and the others from that specific tasting continue to be posted on eRobertParker.com.
-Robert Parker

1852 Rauzan-Segla (Rausan-Segla) Add to Print List

RATING: 61 points
ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

For me, the blatant volatile acidity and high tannin ruined the 1852 Rausan-Segla. When you consider that every one of the wines in this series except for the 1868 Rausan-Segla was produced before General George A. Custer lost his scalp to some determined native American at Montana's Little Big Horn River, it is humbling to realize the history and longevity of Bordeaux's wines.

-Robert Parker

1858 Rauzan-Segla (Rausan-Segla) Add to Print List

ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

The 1858 and 1868 Rausan-Seglas were amazing wines. The 1858 displayed an orange/amber color, followed by a fragrant nose of orange marmalade, melted caramels, and curranty fruit. Sweet, with amazing ripeness, this medium-bodied, soft, round wine is alive and kicking, as well as delicious! When you consider that every one of the wines in this series except for the 1868 Rausan-Segla was produced before General George A. Custer lost his scalp to some determined native American at Montana's Little Big Horn River, it is humbling to realize the history and longevity of Bordeaux's wines.

-Robert Parker

1865 Rauzan-Segla (Rausan-Segla) Add to Print List

RATING: 99 points
ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

Except for the 1966 and 1870 vintages of Lafite-Rothschild, these wines were poured on virgin territory on my palate. The other great classics from the last century were remarkable wines, all with original corks, and in extraordinary condition. Their age was authenticated by Michael Broadbent, who is the only person in the world to have the good fortune to have tasted these wines on several occasions. Believe it or not, the 1865 Rausan-Segla displayed a deep, opaque garnet color with surprising intensity. It revealed a knock-out nose of chocolate, cedar-tinged, cassis-like fruit. Extremely concentrated and powerful, as well as remarkably youthful (I would have thought the wine was 40-50 years old), this full-bodied, exceptionally rich, thick wine exhibits no signs of decline. Might this wine keep for another 30-50 years?

-Robert Parker

1868 Rauzan-Segla (Rausan-Segla) Add to Print List

ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

The 1858 and 1868 Rausan-Seglas were amazing wines. The huge nose of cedar, chocolate, roasted coffee, and smoked herbs found in the 1868 Rausan-Segla was followed by an astonishingly concentrated, sweet, full-bodied wine with high alcohol, layers of richness, and some well-integrated tannin in the finish. This could have easily been mistaken for a 50-year old wine. The amount of fruit remaining had to be tasted to be believed.

When you consider that every one of the wines in this series except for the 1868 Rausan-Segla was produced before General George A. Custer lost his scalp to some determined native American at Montana's Little Big Horn River, it is humbling to realize the history and longevity of Bordeaux's wines.

-Robert Parker

1900 Rauzan-Segla (Rausan-Segla) Add to Print List

ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

Displaying serious color degradation (rust, amber, and orange at the rim), the 1900 Rausan-Segla (from one of the candidates for vintage of the century) still possessed an enticing, seductive, licorice, herb, old cedar-scented nose, with hints of ripe fruit. The wine revealed dry tannin, but surprising body and even some sweet fruit. It is an intact, stylish wine that has survived the test of time. It is another testament to the longevity of Bordeaux.

-Robert Parker

1985 Domaine de la Romanee Conti Montrachet Add to Print List

PRODUCER: Domaine de la Romanee Conti
FROM: Montrachet Puligny Montrachet, Cote de Beaune, Burgundy, France
VARIETY: Chardonnay
ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

There is something restrained and monolithic about the DRC's 1985 Montrachet. Obviously made from extremely low yields given its thickness and richness, this full-bodied wine reveals a lack of complexity. Admittedly, this is being super-critical, but at $600 a bottle, shouldn't one be just a bit moved by the tasting experience? The wine is unquestionably outstanding, and it may be a long distance runner that needs more time to develop. As the 1985 white Burgundy vintage has matured, it is interesting to hear some producers say that the wines are "too clean" and "too healthy." Nevertheless, this young, light to medium straw-colored Montrachet appears to require another decade of aging before a more realistic assessment can be made on where this wine is going. It is still young, but I am not fully convinced that age will bring out all the complexity one would expect. (Over the holidays, a Niellon 1985 Batard-Montrachet was profound, and clearly a mid-90-point effort.)

-Robert Parker

1982 Domaine de la Romanee Conti Montrachet Add to Print List

PRODUCER: Domaine de la Romanee Conti
FROM: Montrachet Puligny Montrachet, Cote de Beaune, Burgundy, France
VARIETY: Chardonnay
ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

Most 1982 white Burgundies have long been in decline, thus this was a very strong showing for the extremely unctuous, honeyed, high alcohol 1982 Montrachet from Romanee-Conti. Light golden in color, it still possessed gorgeously thick and succulent layers of buttery, popcorn-like fruit. Extremely potent, this is a powerful, slightly fragile style of Montrachet that should drink well for another 10-15 years.

1971 Von Simmern Hattenheimer Nussbrunner Riesling Trockenbeerenauslese Add to Print List

PRODUCER: Von Simmern
ESTIMATED COST: $1120
Feb 1996

An absolutely superb, nectar-like, sweet Riesling from Von Simmern, the 1971 Hattenheimer Nussbrunner possessed the color of maple syrup, as well as the viscosity of that culinary delight. Extremely young and pure, it was buttressed by wonderfully vivid, crisp acidity. Enormously rich, but not heavy, this was a wine-making tour de force. Lovers of decadently sweet wines should search the marketplace for a bottle or two of this exquisite wine. It should continue to drink well for another 30+ years.

-Robert Parker

1976 Domaine Trimbach Riesling Clos Ste Hune Add to Print List

PRODUCER: Domaine Trimbach
FROM: Clos Sainte Hune Ribeauville, Haut Rhin, Alsace, France
ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

The outstanding mineral and petroleum-scented, full-bodied 1976 Clos Ste.-Hune exhibited a light gold color. The wine is fully mature, although its high acidity and superb extract will ensure that it will last for another 10-15 years.

-Robert Parker

1983 Domaine Trimbach Riesling Clos Ste Hune Add to Print List

ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

One of the greatest vintages for Trimbach's Clos Ste.-Hune, the 1983 is an extremely powerful, rich, amazingly well-delineated, youthful wine with a nose of honeyed green apples, liquid slate, and that petroleum note that is so much a part of the finest Rieslings from Alsace. Extremely youthful, but massive, this is about as big, rich, and dry as Riesling can get. It should drink well for another 20+ years.

-Robert Parker

1986 Domaine Trimbach Riesling Clos Ste Hune Add to Print List

RATING: 82 points
ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

Relatively light, tart, and lean, Trimbach's 1986 Clos Ste.-Hune is still young, but it appears to lack the extract, concentration, and intensity of top vintages. I found it decidedly inferior to the 1983 and 1976.

-Robert Parker

1959 Trotanoy Add to Print List

PRODUCER: Trotanoy
ESTIMATED COST: $1075-$1745
Feb 1996

The 1959 Trotanoy was a hard, full-bodied, admirably concentrated, but rustic Trotanoy without the sweet fruit I have come to expect from this estate's greatest vintages.

-Robert Parker

1989 Vieux Chateau Certan Add to Print List

RATING: 85 points
PRODUCER: Vieux Chateau Certan
ESTIMATED COST: $131-$184
Jan 1998

The austere, light-bodied 1989 reveals an amber/orange edge to its color. Although the wine did not taste cooked, this bottle may have been exposed to inhospitable temperatures sometime during its sojourn from Bordeaux to America. In any event, I look forward to tasting another bottle, hoping this tasting was not an accurate representation of the 1989's quality. Last tasted 11/96
-Robert Parker

1811 Chateau d'Yquem Add to Print List

PRODUCER: Chateau d'Yquem
VARIETY: Sauternes Blend
ESTIMATED COST: $67640-$88933
Feb 1996

What is so remarkable about this series of wines is that the 1811 and 1847 Yquems are the two greatest Yquems I have ever tasted, eclipsing my Yquem reference point, the 1921. Both were unctuous, thick, extraordinarily complex wines with remarkable quantities of botrytised, honeyed fruit that dominated their aromatics and flavors. As with all of these ancient vintages, the bottles were authenticated by Christie's Michael Broadbent. The 1811 Yquem, with its dark gold color, awesomely intense, sweet nose, unctuous, thick, fabulous flavor extraction, pinpoint precision, and a finish that lasted a minute or more, is the kind of wine on which Yquem's reputation is based. It was liquified Creme Brulee - an astonishing wine. Remember, this was the famous "year of the comet" vintage. (Incidentally, readers looking for a few good chuckles should rent the movie video, Year of the Comet, a wine-dominated comedy that I highly recommend.) Longtime readers know I am a fruit fanatic, and if a wine does not retain this essential component, it is not going to receive a satisfactory review.

The notes for this wine are taken from the description of Series V - Flight D of the 1995 tasting conducted in Munich by Helga and Hardy Rodenstock. Many years after the tasting from which this note derives allegations were made concerning the authenticity of old and rare bottles of wine sold by Hardy Rodenstock to collectors around the world. The matter has been the subject of numerous articles, litigation and at least one book. Mr. Parker believes that the wines served to him at this tasting were authentic so this note and the others from that specific tasting continue to be posted on eRobertParker.com.
-Robert Parker

1814 Chateau d'Yquem Add to Print List

RATING: 67 points
ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

The very dry, earthy 1814 Yquem possessed a dark gold color, and an unattractive mustiness that obliterated any fruit that may have remained intact.
Longtime readers know I am a fruit fanatic, and if a wine does not retain this essential component, it is not going to receive a satisfactory review.

The notes for this wine are taken from the description of Series V - Flight D of the 1995 tasting conducted in Munich by Helga and Hardy Rodenstock. Many years after the tasting from which this note derives allegations were made concerning the authenticity of old and rare bottles of wine sold by Hardy Rodenstock to collectors around the world. The matter has been the subject of numerous articles, litigation and at least one book. Mr. Parker believes that the wines served to him at this tasting were authentic so this note and the others from that specific tasting continue to be posted on eRobertParker.com.
-Robert Parker

1825 Chateau d'Yquem Add to Print List

ESTIMATED COST:
Feb 1996

The 1825 Yquem displayed a dark gold color and tasted nearly dry after having lost its fruit. It revealed high acidity in its Creme Brulee-like flavors and finish. Longtime readers know I am a fruit fanatic, and if a wine does not retain this essential component, it is not going to receive a satisfactory review.

-Robert Parker

1847 Chateau d'Yquem Add to Print List

ESTIMATED COST: $57979-$76231
Feb 1996

What is so remarkable about this series of wines is that the 1811 and 1847 Yquems are the two greatest Yquems I have ever tasted, eclipsing my Yquem reference point, the 1921. Both were unctuous, thick, extraordinarily complex wines with remarkable quantities of botrytised, honeyed fruit that dominated their aromatics and flavors. As with all of these ancient vintages, the bottles were authenticated by Christie's Michael Broadbent. The 1847 Yquem would have received more than 100 points if possible. The wine is huge and massive, with a surprisingly youthful color, remarkable honeyed and botrytised flavors, staggering richness, and a finish that lasted 40+ seconds. The question that must be asked is whether the great modern day Yquem vintages will last as long? I say, yes, though I doubt any of my readers will live long enough to find out what the 1975, 1976, 1983, 1986, or 1989 will taste like at age 148!

Longtime readers know I am a fruit fanatic, and if a wine does not retain this essential component, it is not going to receive a satisfactory review.

Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

1. Robert Parker affects markets and the flow of millions of dollars in ways that few if any other single human beings on the planet affect any other markets.
Really? Compared to Warren Buffett, Abby Cohen, Jim Cramer, Steve Forbes, Ken Fisher, Maria Bartiromo, and many, many more, the amount of money Bob Parker moves based on his prognostications is chump change.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Tom In DC wrote:
Really? Compared to Warren Buffett, Abby Cohen, Jim Cramer, Steve Forbes, Ken Fisher, Maria Bartiromo, and many, many more, the amount of money Bob Parker moves based on his prognostications is chump change.
Agree with Tom. Jim's comment is a gross overstatement. I'm not even sure it applies to the world of wine. Parker doesn't comment on or influence sales of what we would call plonk that make up the vast majority of wine sales, volume and dollar-wise, in the US or worldwide. If limited to the fine wine world I might buy the statement.

I suspect that if you could actually compare the amount of free stuff RP gets from those in the business that stand to benefit directly from his ratings, it would look innocent compared to the people on Tom's list or the movers and shakers in most other industries.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Now I'm just a country lawyer, and I know virtually nothing about Hardy Rodenstock, I haven't read the Billionaire's Vinegar, maybe I'll pick up a copy, but I did read the Wine Spectator article on the Koch lawsuit, which I found very interesting, but I just googled the name "Hardy Rodenstock" and it appears that this person was doing his big wine dinners in Germany as far back as 1980.

It sounds like he was auctioning off those Thomas Jefferson fakes as far back as the mid-1980s.

Was never willing to disclose where they came from.

Was never willing to agree to have them tested.

Of the Jefferson bottles, wine collector Ed Lazarus wrote, “I had never experienced anything remotely similar in an older Bordeaux, or in fact anywhere else, except perhaps at a Baskin-Robbins.”

By the 1990s David Peppercorn and Serena Sutcliffe were openly questioning the authenticity of a number of imperials of Petrus from the first half of the twentieth century.

the investigations of the FBI, Koch's lawyer's, and others seem to have produced compelling evidence that Rodenstock has been involved in a massive scheme to sell counterfeit wines.

In the Parker notes from the February 1996 issue #103, Parker refers to this apparent counterfeiter as "a man of extraordinary charm and graciousness," "a true wine lover in the greatest sense of the word," "exceptionally knowledgeable," "generous to a fault," etc., etc., etc.

For me, one of the troubling comments in Parker's notes above was how he "discovered that the unkind remarks I had read about him were untrue." Parker had met Rodenstock "several times" in 1994 and 1995 (you are right, Dan), and yet, this man whose scores affect the market price of almost literally every single wine that he rates each spring-- and thus affects prices in a market unlike anyone of whom I am aware in any other market-- I mean, even General Electric's quarterly reports don't affect every single stock in the market the way Parker's April Advocate affects Bordeaux pricing-- this man, who was receiving free dinners and was receiving free wines from vintages that, if they were authentic, were certainly worth well into the hundreds of thousands of dollars-- if not more-- even as far back as 1996-- this man, who found his friend Hardy so "extraordinarily charming and gracious," appears to have been... drum roll... WRONG.

And not just wrong. Ridiculously wrong. Many others were seeing things that he apparently did not see in the man who was feeding him free bottles of 1848 Lafite, etc.

Apparently there were problems with Hardy's reputation well before 1996, when Parker was heaping all this praise on his friend from Germany. We know that from Parker's own notes above. Why did it take David Peppercorn and Serena Sutcliffe to start calling Hardy out? Why wasn't it Robert Parker, the supposedly most important wine critic in the world?

When others in the wine world were questioning Hardy Rodenstock, Bobby Parker had his arm around his "exceptionally knowledgeable" friend from Germany and was sipping his free pours of 1818 d'Yquem....

Parker always prides himself in his supposed objectivity, he doesn't accept advertizing, he doesn't accept gifts, etc., etc.

Well, what are we supposed to make with his experiences with Hardy Rodenstock?

Are we just supposed to pretend it didn't happen?

Ya can't have it bothy ways, Bobby.

Ya can't say you are objective, and don't accept gifts, etc., etc., and then go out and hang out for free in Munich with that "exceptionally generous" friend of yours, Hardy Rodenstock.

Isn't a free dinner feautiring reputed nineteenth century vintages Lafite, d'Yquem, etc., an ENORMOUS gift? Are we just supposed to pay no attention to the man behind the curtain on that one?

And then we saw where some people on the Squires site were questioning the details of some trips that Jay Miller and Mark Squires took to Australia and, I believe, France, I don't recall the details, but when people there questioned the appropriateness of those junkets, they were censored off the site.

Got in some trouble with the Burgundy producers? No problem, I'll just shove them under the table, I'll have David Schildendorf or whatever his name is write an occasional review every three years or so. Is that "honest and objective"?

Now erobertparker.com participant blanquito was commenting the other day that parker has still been defending his involvement in the free wine dinners held by perhaps the single biggest fraud in the history of wine collecting. I'd be curious to know what his defense is.

So, again, I'm just a country lawyer, I'm just curious about the relationship between The World's Most Influential Wine Critic on the one hand, and the World's Biggest Wine Fraud on the other, and why that relationship should just be brushed under the rug in the way we look at Robert Parker himself and the way we approach his Warren-Buffet-like ratings of individual wines and vintages.
stefan

Post by stefan »

You should jump to the other table in the courtroom, Jim. That's a good case.
tim

Post by tim »

Here's a link to the Slate article:

http://www.slate.com/id/2256775/
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Jim, no argument that Parker got used by Rodenstock, as did numerous others, though RP is clearly one of the most prominent critics when it comes to old wines. Perhaps in that niche Michael Broadbent ranks higher. I don't think Parker was a willing conspirator, but that he was duped. Life aint perfect, and Parker's writeup undoubtedly helped Rodenstock defraud some well-heeled multimillionaires and billionaires with fake wines. At least Parker wasn't selling blowout protectors to BP.

I'm curious what it would look like if you posted a similar indictment of Michael Broadbent's role in this whole brouhaha.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Well I believe I have posted my thoughts on Michael Broadbent here as well, David, and I believe they involved the words "nasty" and 'old" and "pissbag".

I remember reading that Slate article and I just re-read it. Boy, what a vile episode in the history of wine, really highlights the worst end of the spectrum that this hobby, sadly, is more than capable of producing.

As I look back at those Parker notes from issue #103, I'm amused by how many times he uses terms like "surprisingly youthful," "mindboggling richness," etc., etc.

I'll bet they were youthful, Bobby.

Too bad he didn't throw in the term "too good to be true...."

I don't believe ANYTHING from those seemingly oh-so-impressive notes.

You know, when we do jury trials, at the end of the trial the judge instructs the jury how to weigh the evidence and testimony presented to them. Basically, a juror can believe all, or some, or none of the testimony of a witness. And the judge will typically give an instruction along these lines: "If you believe that a witness is being untruthful about one fact, you can choose to disbelieve him about all facts upon which he testifies."

The evidence in this case is pretty compelling that, at least as far back as the early to mid-1980s, Hardy Rodenstock was taking an electric power drill and carving Thomas Jefferson's initials into bottles of wine seen that theretofore had been seen only in places like Baskin-Robbins. Some TEN years later, Bob Parker was supposedly drinking wines with the same Hardy Rodenstock that were supposedly over 150 years old. Not just one or two bottles. Dozens and dozens of incredibly rare wines that nobody this side of Francois Adouze has been able to source.

Employing the judge's instructions, because this mysterious German man was so capable of such audacity-- I mean, let's face it, selling Thomas Jefferson bottles to Malcolm Forbes takes balls, indeed, I suggest to you that is SO audacious that I'm thinking there must be some sort of psychosis involved in such a personality for someone to think he can pull such a thing off-- because he could do THAT as far back as 1985, by 1995 what ELSE was he capable of? Well, I think we found out in the notes from issue #103....

What inquiries did Bob Parker make into the veracity of these wines?

What due dilligence did "The World's Most Important Wine Critic" do before tasting the 1921 Petrus mag?

This supposedly unimpeachable paragon of impartiality and integrity?

And maybe one of the funniest things about the notes from issue #103 is Parker's Suckling-like insistence that he had NOT been duped by that German who was so "generous to a fault...."

I get a kick out of this note repeated several times above:

"Many years after the tasting from which this note derives allegations were made concerning the authenticity of old and rare bottles of wine sold by Hardy Rodenstock to collectors around the world. The matter has been the subject of numerous articles, litigation and at least one book. Mr. Parker believes that the wines served to him at this tasting were authentic so this note and the others from that specific tasting continue to be posted on eRobertParker.com."

Good grief.

First of all, that's not quite right, is it? If questions concerning authenticity were raised only "many years later," then what did you mean, MISTER Parker (I demand that you all refer to me as MISTER How from here on out), when you said that "the unkind remarks I had read about him [by 1994-95] were untrue...."? And as I understand it, Peppercorn and Sutcliffe were questioning the authenticity of those Petrus big bottles shortly after the Rodenstock/Parker summit, not "many years later...."

And secondly, who cares? Who cares if it was one day later that people were questioning the authenticity of the German's wines, or twenty years later? If you were wrong, you were no more or less wrong because the fraud was found out sooner rather than later....

Sure, we have all been duped in our lives, we've all been wrong before. But my words don't affect the price of wines around the globe. And when we make mistakes, we should own up to them.

I'm looking at the little fine print on the front page of my most recent Advocate. It is filled with convenient little lines like: "The ratings reflect an independent, critical look at the wines. Neither price nor the reputation of the producer/grower affect the rating in any manner."

Riiiight.

And the fact that you were offered pour after generous pour over three days in Munich-- all at no cost-- had no bearing on your scores.

Just like the fact that your Advocate produces more ratings on the wines of upstate New York than it produces from a minor little region called Burgundy has NOTHING to do with the fact that some of the producers in Burgundy sued you.....

Sorry, Bobby...

Just not buying it....
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Fair enough re: Broadbent. Just sayin'. But this is a Parker thread.

You wrote:

As I look back at those Parker notes from issue #103, I'm amused by how many times he uses terms like "surprisingly youthful," "mindboggling richness," etc., etc.

That suggests to me that at least Parker was being truthful about his impressions, even if his judgment was so clouded by the "generosity" of his host that he was unable to come to what seems like the obvious logical conclusion that the wines were indeed too good to be true. Acuity is often 20/20 through the retrospectoscope. Should he have known that Rodenstock was drilling Th:J into bottles of fake Lafite years earlier? No one else was aware of that deception at the time. How much due diligence should we hold a critic responsible for in a situation like this? If you respond that it should be a lot more than just showing up and writing a glowing review, I would agree. Today. Back then? Well, maybe he should have been suspicious. But I think he would have had to have been either prescient or unnaturally suspicious to do the kind of research that Bill Koch did to uncover the extent of Rodenstock's fraud, after he got pretty conclusive evidence of fake bottles in his cellar.

I agree that a free extravaganza like that Rodenstock dinner is bound to influence anyone, no matter how objective they try to be or claim to be. I am totally with you on that. Studies show that a cheap pen with a drug company logo can influence docs' prescribing patterns. It's pretty amazing/sad how easily we are all influenced. That doesn't mean that we are always intentionally selling out, however. But the bias is still there, even if unconscious, so it does mean that we need to be very careful about how we are influenced when we make decisions. So the Rodenstock tastings would need to be taken with a mine-full of salt, even if the wines were legitimate, which they weren't.

OTOH, for 99.99% of Parker's readers, including me, the Rodenstock articles were interesting in a vicarious sense only. Almost none of us would be likely to pursue the kinds of wines Rodenstock was putting up for sale. It doesn't make Rodenstock's fraud any less criminal, or Parker's gullibility (I wont say complicity) any more excusable, and I do have sympathy for those who were defrauded, but it was a very small number of people who got ripped on on ultra-luxury products. I don't buy the illogical leap from Parker being deceived by Rodenstock to an indictment of his usual tasting methods.

But there are other legitimate criticisms of Parker's usual tasting methods. Many or most of his TNs are non-blind. He may have a reasonable argument that knowing the winery adds perspective on ageability by allowing him to put the wine into perspective with past vintages, but non-blind opens the taster up to all sorts of other bias.

Yet despite all of these faults and shortcomings, his TNs on Bordeaux and California Cabs match my experiences as often or more often than anyone else's.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

DavidG and HWSRN sitting in a tree...
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

You seem to read quite selectively, but I guess that's part of the game, isn't it. At least I say what I mean, without resorting to whining or elementary school ditties.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Jimhow, however the minor nuances of your argument may stand against scrutiny, my major feeling is... you're my hero (for today at least)... Well done.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

It proves difficult to have a reasoned argument with anyone who refers to himself as "we". Given enough time, any petty dictator will piss off all of his subjects...
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Jim asked about the Rodenstock dinner, I posted what was publicly available that I had access to. I don't defend everything Parker does, though I don't see his motives through quite so dark a lens. I happen to agree with a lot of his TNs (as well as those posted by many others here, including Jim). I don't see how that puts me in bed with Parker or makes me an apologist for him, but if others see it that way, I can live with it. I've given Jim a lot of grief for silly stuff. My intent was good-natured razzing but at times it may have been overdone. Trying to make up for that with some reasoned discussion about the Rodenstock affair. However, I'm more than due for some payback.

Would it be more acceptable if I substituted HWSRN for Parker when I quote him, like you do Jim? Or maybe we could take a page from the Squires board and substitute ****** for "Parker?"
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Hey, don't let me stop you from defending HWSRN, David, just give me a little room for my viciousness now and then! :D
stefan

Post by stefan »

Could be worse, Tom. He doesn't refer to himself in the third person.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

It proves difficult to have a reasoned argument with anyone who refers to himself as "we". Given enough time, any petty dictator will piss off all of his subjects...
LOL, this from the most temperamental member of BWE.
Tom would last about five minutes as manager of this site.
I'm sure it would be an absolutely fascinating place.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

stefan wrote:Could be worse, Tom. He doesn't refer to himself in the third person.
Yup. Glad to be out of the penalty box. If he started calling himself "The Bob", we'd be on a totally different plane. (One last post...)
JonB

Post by JonB »

I haven't read the book, but the other part of the story is supposedly a NYC merchant (now defunct) that allegedly became a sales outlet for Rodenstock. RP met with the merchant owners for lunch several times, and the merchants used that to gain credibility.

RP is trying to keep his reputation free from those who may want to gain based on a relationship with him.....I recall seeing a post where he distanced himself from Jeff Leve, saying something to the effect that he'd only met him 3 times, set up one appointment in Bordeaux for him, and there was no other relationship.
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

Tom didn't seem tempermental when I met him, but it was at high altitude and low barometric pressure, which could have dampened his mood swings.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

JonB wrote:I recall seeing a post where he distanced himself from Jeff Leve, saying something to the effect that he'd only met him 3 times, set up one appointment in Bordeaux for him, and there was no other relationship.
Well, that is manifestly hogwash because as we know here at BWE... Leve IS Robert Parker, his alter ego, or at least his evil twin, the guy who gets to schmooze with the wine honchos, take their freebies and handouts, and say what he really thinks!

Parker and Leve, separated at birth.

Or a more serious note, if this is true about Leve, how/why/whateverfor would Parker annoint so immoderate a person a "moderator"? Unless to make himself look all the more above-the-fray?
Harry C.

Post by Harry C. »

One of the main things that strikes me odd in the Parker/Rody affair discussion is the presumption that Parker has one of the best older Bordeaux tasting experiences. I see no proof of this in his writings, history, etc. I fully expect Broadbent, Sutcliffe and some of the other British critics have more older wine experiences. That is why I suspect The Brits started ringing the cautionary bell eons ago. But even to this day has Parker really voiced any cautionary warning about Rody? Not as such, more to just defend his free dinner. Parker has a big voice for newer Bordeaux-since 1982-and has tasted older vintages, but to assume a great wealth of older Bordeaux knowledge, I question.
rjsussex

Post by rjsussex »

Calling himself 'The Bob'? Well, he does refer to 'Parker points'.

Richard