99 Moulin St Georges

dstgolf

99 Moulin St Georges

Post by dstgolf »

99 Moulin St Georges-

Introduced to the 96 vintage and hooked. Bought all vintages through 2001 thinking this was a great value wine.At $29-35 a bottle. I thought good qpr. Going forward to 2005 at $89 this is longer a value wine. This might just be a Canadian phenomenon but if this is still reasonable priced in the USA I'd highly suggest a go. Tonight with Prime rib the 99 was drinking very well showing some nice tertiary notes. This has come from a bit of a modern fruit driven wine to a lovely typical unquestionable Bordeaux with leather,cedar and smoky tones that just keep you loving Bordeaux. I certainly don't get these complexities in Californian slutty wines. This is certainly not fading but throwing sediment which is a little unusual for St Emillion and I question it's longevity. Tannins still present with background plummy notes. Drinking very well now with at least 3-5 year horizon but don't think this will go another 20.

Danny
Danny
Comte Flaneur

Re: 99 Moulin St Georges

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Thanks for the note Danny...I have always been dying to try MSG because isn't a poor man's Ausone? Or something like that?
stefan

Post by stefan »

MSG is a wine I used to buy, back when it had a good QPR. The '05 runs around $60 in the USA. I haven't tasted the '05, so I can't say that it is overpriced, but I have my suspicions.
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

I have a couple of 98s, a mag of the 00, and about 9 of the 03 left. I vaguely recall the 98 as very interesting/promising but nowhere near ready, and exhibiting lots of brush and twigs which for a while seemed a right bank hallmark to me. The 03 is excellent, whether it's affected by the vintage or not, and peculiarly drinkable yet suggesting ageability also. Having said that, and having not had any Ausone, I'd say if it's a poor man's Ausone there's a good bit of that going around. Anyway price wise it's kind of ahead of me anymore.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

A 1982 Moulin St. Georges was the wine that really opened up my eyes to Bordeaux wines. I purchased a bottle in a small shop in the heart of St. Emilion in 1993 for the equivalent of $12.00. We drank it 3 or 4 years later and it was absolutely a special bottle of wine. Subsequently I bought 95, 96 and 00 in half-case quantities. Only the 2000 remains, and I think it's about time to find out what it's doing.

Jon
Rudi Finkler

Post by Rudi Finkler »

Moulin Saint-Georges is a wine for epicurean purists like me... :)