TN : 03 de Malle

Nicklasss

TN : 03 de Malle

Post by Nicklasss »

The 2003 Chateau de Malle is a really nice Sauternes, and confirm that 2003 is an excellent to very nice vinatge in Sauternes. I was lucky enough because there was just one bottle left at my local winestore and the label was damaged. Our provincial winestore has a rule that when it is ''damaged enough'', the customer can ask for a rebate. An I got -25 % for that bottle of 03 de Malle. Not bad. The wine was light gold, with a medium to intense nose of nice apricots, honey, roasted botritys, peaches, vanilla and oak. Very nice. In mouth, attack is lighter with flowers, but changes quickly to an invading mid-palate full of strong honey, acacia flowers, oak toffey, botrytis. A super long final full of sweet fruit like peaches and apricots and quince. Balanced is good, between a kind of light feeling, but concentrated liquor of sweet botrytis. Excellent. TN : 92.

I only had one vintage of that wine previously, and it is the 1975 i brought to 03 NYC convention. It was really good too.

We don't drink enough Sauternes, that are truly great wines.

Nic
stefan

Re: TN : 03 de Malle

Post by stefan »

Yes, Sauternes is the most undervalued wine from Bdx. De Malle is always very good. I love the '03 de Malle and, in fact, most of the '03s. I will drink them now and drink the wonderful '01s after I have adjourned to That Great Tasting Room in the Sky.
Harry C.

Post by Harry C. »

Oh, the 75 DeMalle. That brings back good memories. I was new into wine and was invited to a dinner. I asked what I could bring and a dessert wine was suggested. Knowing zero about sweet wines I went to my local retailer and he recommended the 75 DeMalle, which had just come into the store. I bought it and it clearly was wine of the night. I bought the remaining ones he had-only a few. I think $13 dollars US for a $750ml. I have been a fan of Sauternes since. And DeMalle has a special place in my heart, although it often does not perform as well as it should. The next best year was the 1983. I have not had the 2003, but have a few sitting in the cellar. Perhaps I should dig it out...
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Nice note, Nic. I haven't had the 2003 de Malle, but it is an excellent stickie.

I haven't had many different 2003 Sauternes, but the ones I've had have been excellent (Coutet, Suduiraut, Lafaurie-Peyraugey, etc.).
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

Nic:

Good TN. Thanks.

I need more Sauternes!

Michael-P
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

the 01 Raynes-Vigneau in a 375 was kind of disappointing last night-lacking the concentration I thought would be there but perfectly quaffable.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

2003 Sauternes is great. Very, very sweet but nonetheless nice balance and structure.